Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple…

Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries) (original 1930; edition 2006)

by Agatha Christie

Member:ajhackwith
Title:Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (2006), Hardcover, 288 pages

The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie (1930)

English (103)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (112)
Murder at the Vicarage is about, and I hope this is not too much of a spoiler: a murder that takes place in a vicarage. The vicarage is situated in a village which also happens to be the home of a Miss Marple, and this is the first book in which she makes an appearance.
Overall, this book didn't quite reach the bar set by The Seven Dials Mystery but it is none the less enjoyable. The story is fun, and interesting enough, but in my opinion the mystery crossed the fine line from being justifiably elaborate, to being a bit messy. Fortunately the story continues, more or less, in the fun style set out by Seven Dials, making it an entertaining read none the less. While this isn't a book to pick up for a murder mystery, it is worth picking up for the "glances into human nature and interaction" element of it. And there is a bit of a mystery to go with it. ( )
  clq | Apr 29, 2017 |
I enjoyed it immensely. I'll be reading more of this series. I never guessed who the murder was... ( )
  catquilt74 | Apr 16, 2017 |
This is my first encounter with Miss Marple, and what a thrill! I adore the sense of logic and understanding of human character of Miss Marple. The story turns and twists around the suspects and the motive for the murder. Agatha Christie presents seven suspects in this busybody town where no secret may hide. The vicar, Leonard Clement narrates the story and aids Jane Marple investigating the murder of Colonel Lucius Protheroe. I enjoy the descriptions of the village and the many inhabitants. The story comes to a delightful conclusion with all the strings neatly tied. ( )
  delphimo | Apr 12, 2017 |
Knowing Mss. Marple
A murder history told in the first person by a Vicar. Lot of characters interacting in a good plot. One cannot grasp the answers till the end. Agatha Christie present Miss Marple to her readers. Such a clever woman! ( )
  MarcusBastos | Jan 20, 2017 |
This book is the first in Agatha Christie’s famous Miss Marple series and the third novel by Christie that I have read. I have a long way to go until I’ve read the rest of them and based on what I have read so far, I am looking forward to it!

When Colonel Protheroe is murdered in the local Vicar’s study, there are plenty of suspects – after all he was not a popular man in the small village of St Mary Mead, and tongues are set wagging. Miss Marple however is less interested in idle gossip and more interested in getting to the bottom of the case, and she applies her methodical thinking to solving the crime for which everyone seems to have an alibi.

What surprised me the most about this book is that Miss Marple is actually a fairly minor character in the story, at least until the end. The story is narrated by the Vicar Len Clement, and he himself gets involved in amateur sleuthing to try and uncover the murderer. He is a witty and self-deprecating character, and his observations about his fellow villagers are frequently very droll and amusing; I was actually surprised at how funny this book is.

But the story is essentially a murder mystery and as such it works very well. Just as with the Poirot book The Mysterious Affair at Styles, which I also read recently, I did not guess the murderer beforehand, and it helped that there were plenty of potential characters who could have done it (I am pretty sure I wouldn’t have guessed the murderer in And Then There Were None either, except that I watched a TV adaptation before reading the book).

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of the mystery genre – it’s more of a gentle pace then most thrillers, but if you enjoy whodunnits, I think this is definitely one to check out. I look forward to reading more Agatha Christie and soon! ( )
1 vote Ruth72 | Jan 18, 2017 |

Taddei, GiuseppinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeys, John M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rosalind
It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451201159, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Jane Marple's passion for gossip leads to the investigation of a local man's murder. The victim was not liked in the least, and his death isn't raising eyebrows. But his recently revealed secrets are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:00 -0400)

Colonel Protheroe, local magistrate and overbearing landowner, is the most detested man in the little English village of St. Mary Mead. Everyone, even the vicar, wishes he was dead. And very soon he is--shot in the head in the vicar's study. A visiting artist confesses to the murder, but residents saw him elsewhere when the Colonel was shot. If he didn't do it, than who did? Is he protecting the Colonel's wife whom he loves? Faced with a surfeit of suspects, only the inscrutable Miss Marple can unravel the tangled web of clues.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,467,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible