Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple…

Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries) (original 1930; edition 2006)

by Agatha Christie

Member:ajhackwith
Title:Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (2006), Hardcover, 288 pages

The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie (1930)

English (94)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (103)
The first of the Miss Marple novels and one of the best ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
When the less-than-likable magistrate Colonel Protheroe is found shot to death in the vicar's study, the residents of the tiny village of St. Mary Mead are completely shocked ... and quick to cast blame on a number of people with motives to kill the colonel.

This is the first novel by Agatha Christie that I've read it and in some ways, it was exactly what I expected while in others it was not. It is the quaint English "cozy" mystery that I anticipated, but I was surprised to find that Miss Marple was less of a main character than I expected for the kickoff of a series of mystery books based on her solving the case. This book is narrated in first person by the vicar himself, which was interesting in gaining insight on him and his opinions of other people in the village; oddly, he is given a lot of access to police proceedings (nominally, I suppose, because the murder took place in his study) so we see a lot of the procedural aspect - questioning witnesses, checking alibis, examining the body, etc. Miss Marple comes in at the end to save the day by theorizing who the culprit as though she were solving a logic puzzle. I must say that I was actually quite surprised by the turn Christie took and did not at all suspect the culprit.

The book reads light and quick, but it does pause for some moments of plumbing psychological depths, such as the conversation between the vicar and the doctor/coroner in which the doctor makes strong arguments in favor of the nature side of the nurture versus nature debate, particularly as concerns criminal activity. The character study was also notable, and I found that I liked the vicar and his family enough to want to read more about them -- and while I didn't necessarily *like* some of the other village characters, I appreciated Christie's accurate renderings. There is also an undercurrent throughout about gender roles and societal expectations, especially in reference to Miss Marple herself, who the male police dismiss as just another nosy 'spinster.' Overall, I was entertained by this novel (despite some small quibbles) enough to move on to other books in the series.

I listened to the audiobook and although he eventually grew on me, I wasn't in love the narrator. To my taste, he spoke a little too fast and didn't clearly enunciate enough. Occasionally, especially when reading some of the vicar's internal thoughts, he fell into the habit of dropping his voice quite low, which meant I would have difficulty hearing some bits. But overall his performance was lively and fitting with the material at hand. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 21, 2016 |
This is one of Christie's most memorable tales featuring the very lovable Miss Marple. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A murder takes place in the Vicar's study. The police are baffled, but Miss Marple unerringly solves the mystery. Well-written light crime story. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
?
????
When the nasty Colonel Protheroe is found dead in the vicar’s study, shot in the head at the writing table with the start of a note scrawled on a piece of paper, the town is shocked. A bevy of detectives, both professional and amateur, attempt to solve this mystery, follow a myriad of leads and clues, ruling out suspect after suspect and hitting a wall. Finally, after the near death of another local man, Miss Marple, in her debut novel, puts the pieces together in the only sensible way. A plan is set to prove the guilt of the clever perpetrator, so the town can resume its peaceful existence.
I listened to the unabridged audio recording by actor James Saxon. While he did an admirable job of capturing the tone of the novel and most of the male voices, he, like almost every other man I’ve heard narrate, cannot do women’s voices well. I do wish audiobook makers would find a way to hire women to do women’s voices with male narrators & vice versa as it breaks the flow with some of the attempts to sound like women.
Overall, I really enjoyed this at a 4 star level.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |

Pierre-Langers, ClaudeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saxon, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeys, John M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rosalind
It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451201159, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Jane Marple's passion for gossip leads to the investigation of a local man's murder. The victim was not liked in the least, and his death isn't raising eyebrows. But his recently revealed secrets are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:00 -0400)

Colonel Protheroe, local magistrate and overbearing landowner, is the most detested man in the little English village of St. Mary Mead. Everyone, even the vicar, wishes he was dead. And very soon he is--shot in the head in the vicar's study. A visiting artist confesses to the murder, but residents saw him elsewhere when the Colonel was shot. If he didn't do it, than who did? Is he protecting the Colonel's wife whom he loves? Faced with a surfeit of suspects, only the inscrutable Miss Marple can unravel the tangled web of clues.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible