Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple…

Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries) (original 1930; edition 2006)

by Agatha Christie

Member:ajhackwith
Title:Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (2006), Hardcover, 288 pages

The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie (1930)

English (83)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (92)
The first of the Miss Marple series. Agatha Christie is one of the the best known mystery authors from the Golden Age. She was a prolific writer. The Miss Marple series features an old woman who has the knack of observation which leads her to solve mysteries. This murder occurs in the vicarage. The body is found sitting at the office desk with a gunshot to the head. As always there are many likely candidates for the murderer and it takes Miss Marple to help the police see the wisdom of her theory. Agatha Christie’s mysteries are always entertaining. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 13, 2014 |
Life in the village of St. Mary Mead is quiet and predictable. Until Colonel Protheroe is found murdered in the study at the vicarage. Suddenly everyone is a suspect and everyone wants to put their hand into the investigation. Miss Marple, however, may be the most surprising detective of all. The elderly spinster has a troubling habit of being always right.

I've watched a few of the BBC Marple episodes but this was my first time reading one and I was thoroughly delighted. I always forget how much I enjoy Christie's writing until I'm reading one of her novels. Her tone so beautifully evokes the time period and lends it a glamour that contemporary mysteries lack. As the first of the Miss Marple mysteries, this is an excellent outing. The mystery is well thought out and I have to admit I can never resist a novel that includes maps. There are also subtle moments of humour interspersed throughout that left me laughing in between trying to figure out just who had done it. If you've never read an Agatha Christie, this is definitely a good first one to pick up. ( )
  MickyFine | Nov 19, 2014 |
This was a fun whodunit, and admittedly I was confused about the perpetrator right up until the end... I'd never before read a Miss Marple book and was surprised that she was not the narrator, but I think the outside perspective added to the story. ( )
  ratastrophe | Nov 15, 2014 |
i'm going to try one more of these miss marple mysteries and i'm going back to poirot. they are just better. ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 29, 2014 |
I don't remember Miss Marple mysteries being so gossipy and "twittery." Overall, ok. Not really what I remember or care for. ( )
  lesmel | May 6, 2014 |

Pierre-Langers, ClaudeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saxon, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeys, John M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rosalind
It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage.

late 1920s
    -------------------------------------------

KILL AND TELL

It came as no great shock when Colonel Protheroe was found shot to death. The Colonel had earned the hatred of almsot everyone in the village. The question was: Who had gotten to him first?

The police relaxed when their first suspect confessed. They became uneasy when their second followed suit. By the third confession, they were tied up in knots - and only the sure hand of the remarkable Miss Marple could unravel the tangled skein of deception spun by a maddeningly elusive murderer.
    --------------------------------

WHO KILLED THE COLONEL

Was it Lawrence Redding the brilliant young artist who had fallen in love with the Colonel's beautiful wife?
Or Anne Protheroe, who had decieved her husband one time too many?
Or the glamours, mysterious Mrs Lestrange, upon whom the Colonel had had so strange a hold?
Or even Leonard Clement, the good vicar himself, with his gnawing suspicious about his too-young, too-lively wife?

It was hard for Miss Marple to believe all these nice people had such nasty secrets. But a much more unpleasant surprise awaited her when she learned the answer to all her questions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451201159, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Jane Marple's passion for gossip leads to the investigation of a local man's murder. The victim was not liked in the least, and his death isn't raising eyebrows. But his recently revealed secrets are.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:49 -0400)

Colonel Protheroe, local magistrate and overbearing landowner, is the most detested man in the little English village of St. Mary Mead. Everyone, even the vicar, wishes he was dead. And very soon he is--shot in the head in the vicar's study. A visiting artist confesses to the murder, but residents saw him elsewhere when the Colonel was shot. If he didn't do it, than who did? Is he protecting the Colonel's wife whom he loves? Faced with a surfeit of suspects, only the inscrutable Miss Marple can unravel the tangled web of clues.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,452,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible