Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple…

Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries) (original 1930; edition 2006)

by Agatha Christie

Member:ajhackwith
Title:Murder at the Vicarage: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (2006), Hardcover, 288 pages

The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie (1930)

English (100)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (109)
Knowing Mss. Marple
A murder history told in the first person by a Vicar. Lot of characters interacting in a good plot. One cannot grasp the answers till the end. Agatha Christie present Miss Marple to her readers. Such a clever woman! ( )
  MarcusBastos | Jan 20, 2017 |
This book is the first in Agatha Christie’s famous Miss Marple series and the third novel by Christie that I have read. I have a long way to go until I’ve read the rest of them and based on what I have read so far, I am looking forward to it!

When Colonel Protheroe is murdered in the local Vicar’s study, there are plenty of suspects – after all he was not a popular man in the small village of St Mary Mead, and tongues are set wagging. Miss Marple however is less interested in idle gossip and more interested in getting to the bottom of the case, and she applies her methodical thinking to solving the crime for which everyone seems to have an alibi.

What surprised me the most about this book is that Miss Marple is actually a fairly minor character in the story, at least until the end. The story is narrated by the Vicar Len Clement, and he himself gets involved in amateur sleuthing to try and uncover the murderer. He is a witty and self-deprecating character, and his observations about his fellow villagers are frequently very droll and amusing; I was actually surprised at how funny this book is.

But the story is essentially a murder mystery and as such it works very well. Just as with the Poirot book The Mysterious Affair at Styles, which I also read recently, I did not guess the murderer beforehand, and it helped that there were plenty of potential characters who could have done it (I am pretty sure I wouldn’t have guessed the murderer in And Then There Were None either, except that I watched a TV adaptation before reading the book).

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of the mystery genre – it’s more of a gentle pace then most thrillers, but if you enjoy whodunnits, I think this is definitely one to check out. I look forward to reading more Agatha Christie and soon! ( )
1 vote Ruth72 | Jan 18, 2017 |
January 2017 review: Just as good this time around :)

June 2014 review:
Richard E. Grant did a fine job narrating this Christie classic, the first Miss Marple book. His Irish accent for the artist was especially good (at least to this American's ears).

I had read this (more than once) in paperback, but although parts of it were familiar, I didn't recall the solution, so this audiobook version really held my attention! One thing I particularly liked was the way the vicar (who is the first person narrator of the book) talked about his wife and parish duties. He was a much more well-rounded personality than you typically find in Christie's Poirot stories. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 15, 2017 |
This was much more enjoyable than the Hercule Poirot book I read a bit ago.
Part of that might have to do with the fact that Miss Marple is not the main character. A Vicar is. A laid back, keep the peace kind of guy. Easy to get along with and to read about.

Miss Marple is just a side character pointing out clues throughout the story. She isn't overbearing, arrogant and pushy.

Of course, Christie does seem fond of her villains trying to get caught to prove their innocence to cover their guilt. We'll see if that continues in other books. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This is a must read book. The writing is exceedingly marvelous and crafted in a way in which there is a steady rhythm of life in rural Mississippi. Miss Jane Chisolm is born with a rare genital birth defect. Unable to have children, sexual intimacy or a "normal" relationship, Jane is born with a keen intuition and very bright mind.

Unfortunately, her incontinence interferes with every day interactions with the outside world, still she finds ways in which to draw people to her. Jane is conceived when her father had too much to drink and her mother is in a drugged state of laudinum use. Long past the age of joy in having children, her mother's despondency grows as she perceives the child as a burden. Her father loves her, but cannot express this. Her sister both loves her yet perceives her as a stone around her neck.

The small-town doctor becomes her friend and mentor and the beauty of their relationship is woven throughout the story. Understanding the incredible personhood of Jane, Dr. Thompson grows to appreciate the exquisite beauty of Jane's internal world wherein she fears very little.

As she grows, she exhibits a keen sense of nature, both of growing, living things found in the wood, and the internal personality traits of people which render them kind and sensitive and then bitter and moody.

This is writing at its best!

Five Stars

Taddei, GiuseppinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeys, John M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rosalind
It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451201159, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Jane Marple's passion for gossip leads to the investigation of a local man's murder. The victim was not liked in the least, and his death isn't raising eyebrows. But his recently revealed secrets are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:00 -0400)

Colonel Protheroe, local magistrate and overbearing landowner, is the most detested man in the little English village of St. Mary Mead. Everyone, even the vicar, wishes he was dead. And very soon he is--shot in the head in the vicar's study. A visiting artist confesses to the murder, but residents saw him elsewhere when the Colonel was shot. If he didn't do it, than who did? Is he protecting the Colonel's wife whom he loves? Faced with a surfeit of suspects, only the inscrutable Miss Marple can unravel the tangled web of clues.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,649,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible