Zot!: The Complete Black and White…

Zot!: The Complete Black and White Collection: 1987-1991

by Scott McCloud

Before [book:Understanding Comics], writer/artist Scott McCloud created the adventures of Zachary T. Paleozogr (aka Zot), a teenager from an alternate Utopian Earth in the "far-flung future of 1965." Zot discovers a portal to our consensus 1980s reality and explores our not-so-perfect existence. He befriends the teen Jenny Weaver and their adventures in both universes serve as the centerpiece for these delightful stories. Initially, the tales primarily revolve around Zot, who is a super-hero in his native land, and the colorful villains he encounters. About two-thirds of the way through this massive 575 page collection, the story focus changes dramatically as Zot gets trapped on our Earth and the stories begin to center around Zot and Jenny's friends. Basically, the series evolves into a high school drama with an exiled super-hero. The Earth Stories, the last sequence title, transforms an entertaining exploration of super hero and science fiction tropes into a superior dramatic comic book. Throughout, McCloud offers explanations and digressions into the individual stories through a series of commentaries and end notes. Perhaps most profoundly, this book grants an insight into the artistic evolution of one of comicdom's greatest ambassadors and educators. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
I wasn't sure what to expect with Zot! But in every bookstore there is always one seriously abused looking copy of Zot (Joe told me this once, since then I have been checking and it appears to be true).

Zot is a super hero from another dimension, with a planet called Earth that has all of the good things and none of the bad. He is friends with Jenny from our Earth and meets all of her other friends. The first half of the book focuses on Zot and his adventures facing super villians in his world. It is discovered that there are several things such as songs that shouldn't be in Zot's world because the acts the works are based on never occurred there. Zot and his Uncle Max plan on coming to Earth to decipher which Earth is the true Earth and which might be a copy, but Zot gets stuck on our Earth and Uncle Max gets left behind. Then the book focuses on Jenny and her friends, their lives and experiences in school and at home.

The stories are wonderful,however I kind of wish they had gone back to working on which Earth was the copy. I feel like that could have been an interesting story too. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
The art features the speedlines, closeup panels, and simplified design of manga, but those elements are incorporated into layouts and backgrounds inspired by classic American comics. There’s a ton of energy in these pages, packed with feelings and ideas and imagination. And thoughtful observations, as when Zot finds himself wondering about the differences between his world and ours.

Long before manga took the American comics market by storm, Scott McCloud (Understanding Comics, Making Comics) combined the best ideas from manga, alternative comics, and superheroes into Zot!—a frenetic and innovative exploration of comics' potential that helped set the stage for McCloud's later groundbreaking theoretical work.

Zachary T. Paleozogt lives in "the far-flung future of 1965," a utopian Earth of world peace, robot butlers, and flying cars. Jenny Weaver lives in an imperfect world of disappointment and broken promises—the Earth we live in. Stepping across the portals to each other's worlds, Zot and Jenny's lives will never be the same again.

Now, for the first time since its original publication more than twenty years ago, every one of McCloud's pages from the black and white series has been collected in this must-have commemorative edition for aficionados to treasure and new fans to discover.

Includes never-before-seen artwork and extensive commentary by Scott McCloud

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:59 -0400)

For comic book fans everywhere, this is the best of the cult classic series 'Zot!'. It includes sketches, designs, behind-the-scenes working methods, never-before-seen material, and commentary.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,312,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible