A House Like a Lotus by Madeleine L'Engle

A House Like a Lotus (original 1984; edition 1985)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Member:sedelia
Title:A House Like a Lotus
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle
Info:
Collections:To read

A House Like a Lotus by Madeleine L'Engle (1984)

Eh, I'm not the biggest fan of her books, so yeah....
Since I read this book years ago, I can't remember enough of the book to really write a review... ( )
  IceQueenMiki | Sep 16, 2013 |
There's a new genre out there these days, one that is designed for people who have been reading Young Adult books but have grown up a bit--ok, maybe a lot. It's called New Adult.
I guess L'Engle was ahead of her time, because this volume, written in Polly's voice (she chose to change the spelling of her name, she explains in this one) and from her own point of view, is definitely New Adult.
Here, Polly is all grown up and is defining herself in all kinds of ways...and the new spelling of her name is just one example of that. Polly is defining herself intellectually with what she reads and studies, socially by her choice of friends and activities, and, also, Polly is defining herself sexually. She has several sexual experiences in this book, including assault and intercourse, so of course I would not recommend it for the Young Adult audience. But I also would not make the mistake of saying the book should not be read by young people. The window into Polly's thoughts as she works through these issues is a useful one for others going through the same things, or even for those who might want to look back on that time in their lives and think it through.
There are no fantastical elements of this book. It's pretty much a straight-up coming of age story, and, yet, the natural scenes are so lush and Polly's interior life so rich, I'm still haunted by them. The violence is so realistic; L'Engle conveys so well the horror of having a loved one betray us with an invasive act. I do not recommend it for very young readers, but for mature ones, this book is a beautiful place to begin many responsible discussions. ( )
  christine3236 | Jul 12, 2013 |
Another favorite from youth, still a great book. L'Engle is a wonderful writer- I'd forgotten how skillful she is. I'm not a religious person, not even a little bit, but reading this, I can begin to have a glimmer of why some people are. The treatment of lesbianism as something not quite polite was grating, however. The pain of being a young girl is captured with grace and love. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I've read this multiple times, and in college, when I spotted a copy at the Powell's in Hyde Park I bought it, even though I already had a copy in FL. Now I always have one copy with me wherever I'm living, and the other in FL for when I visit my parents. That's how much I like this book. This one's about Polly, the oldest daughter of Calvin and Meg from A Wrinkle in Time, etc. It's not a time travel book like those but rather deals with the many social issues Polly faces while growing up.

purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |
With the L'Engle books, I had rarely ventured from the Wrinkle in Time series, but when I finally read the inside cover and found that this book's main character was the daughter of the characters in the other books, I read it very quickly. L'Engle's coming-of-age books are absolutely amazing, and this one is no exception. I found myself never wanting to put it down and was highly disappointed when it came to an end. This is a great read for just about anyone, but female readers will most likely be able to relate more. ( )
1 vote chewbecca | Jul 19, 2007 |
For Robert Lescher
Constitution Square.

When sixteen-year-old Polly O'Keefe journeys to Athens, she feels confused and betrayed.

The past eight months at home were different from any other time in her life. She met the brilliant, wealthy Maximiliana Horne, who gave her encouragement and made her feel self-confident. Polly idolized Max, until she learned a starting truth that left her wounded and angry.

Now on a trip to Greece arranged by Max, Polly finds romance, danger, and unique friendships. But can she find a way to forgive Max and remember her as more than a painful memory?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:38 -0400)

While working at a conference in Cyprus, sixteen-year-old Polly tries to come to terms with the emotionally tumultuous events preceding her arrival on the island and her relationships with old and new friends.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,350,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible