A HOUSE LIKE A LOTUS by Madeleine…

A HOUSE LIKE A LOTUS (original 1984; edition 1974)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Member:b02l23p88
Title:A HOUSE LIKE A LOTUS
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle
Info:Farrar Straus Giroux First Edition (1974), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover

A House Like a Lotus by Madeleine L'Engle (1984)

Oh, I remember this one now. I liked it as a kid, but now I'm like, "ohhh, some of these elements are fairly problematic now and I didn't realize." Would probably need to do some critical re-reading here. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
A House like a Lotus drew me in with both stories that are told. One was told by Polly O'Keefe through her dreams and memories of the recent past; the other, she was living in the present. There are "adult" themes running through the book (homosexuality and pre-marital sex with an older man), so parents might want to read the book first before giving it to younger children. In my opinion, everything is handled tastefully (if dated by its publication year) and is necessary to tell the story of understanding and forgiveness. Favorite quotation: To deny friendship is unlove. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 28, 2015 |
Eh, I'm not the biggest fan of her books, so yeah....
Since I read this book years ago, I can't remember enough of the book to really write a review... ( )
  IceQueenMiki | Sep 16, 2013 |
There's a new genre out there these days, one that is designed for people who have been reading Young Adult books but have grown up a bit--ok, maybe a lot. It's called New Adult.
I guess L'Engle was ahead of her time, because this volume, written in Polly's voice (she chose to change the spelling of her name, she explains in this one) and from her own point of view, is definitely New Adult.
Here, Polly is all grown up and is defining herself in all kinds of ways...and the new spelling of her name is just one example of that. Polly is defining herself intellectually with what she reads and studies, socially by her choice of friends and activities, and, also, Polly is defining herself sexually. She has several sexual experiences in this book, including assault and intercourse, so of course I would not recommend it for the Young Adult audience. But I also would not make the mistake of saying the book should not be read by young people. The window into Polly's thoughts as she works through these issues is a useful one for others going through the same things, or even for those who might want to look back on that time in their lives and think it through.
There are no fantastical elements of this book. It's pretty much a straight-up coming of age story, and, yet, the natural scenes are so lush and Polly's interior life so rich, I'm still haunted by them. The violence is so realistic; L'Engle conveys so well the horror of having a loved one betray us with an invasive act. I do not recommend it for very young readers, but for mature ones, this book is a beautiful place to begin many responsible discussions. ( )
  christine3236 | Jul 12, 2013 |
Another favorite from youth, still a great book. L'Engle is a wonderful writer- I'd forgotten how skillful she is. I'm not a religious person, not even a little bit, but reading this, I can begin to have a glimmer of why some people are. The treatment of lesbianism as something not quite polite was grating, however. The pain of being a young girl is captured with grace and love. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
For Robert Lescher
Constitution Square.

When sixteen-year-old Polly O'Keefe journeys to Athens, she feels confused and betrayed.

The past eight months at home were different from any other time in her life. She met the brilliant, wealthy Maximiliana Horne, who gave her encouragement and made her feel self-confident. Polly idolized Max, until she learned a starting truth that left her wounded and angry.

Now on a trip to Greece arranged by Max, Polly finds romance, danger, and unique friendships. But can she find a way to forgive Max and remember her as more than a painful memory?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:00 -0400)

A marine biology student reporting to his summer job on an island off portugal finds himself at the center of a power struggle between his boss and another group of americans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,624,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible