The Vanished Man (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) by…

The Vanished Man (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Jeffery Deaver

Member:hemlokgang
Title:The Vanished Man (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
Authors:Jeffery Deaver
Info:Pocket (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Tags:Audiobook, Mystery/Suspense, USA

The Vanished Man by Jeffery Deaver (2003)

Recently added byPJ817, deb.bouchard, Catsplus, roboh7, private library, Dragonrider39, caseycycling, Corduroy7

English (24)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
This was my first read of a novel by this author and I really enjoyed it. Although I learned after finishing the title that this novel is #5 in the Lincoln Rhyme series, it can definitely be read as a stand-alone. One is instantly immersed in the world of illusion and magic with a wealth of history, famous names, and secrets revealed. As Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs become informed, the reader also begins to believe that he/she might be able to use all of the information learned to solve the case in advance of law enforcement. Enjoy the illusion but I doubt you’ll be successful.

Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |

I think there are two (2) special treasures within this novel. To illustrate my own comparison, I will share that although I enjoy reading thrillers by Brad Thor, there are times that I become very frustrated as he seems so busy teaching me about the current espionage technology and military weapons capabilities or whatever background for the latest thriller, I become lost in the paragraphs of ‘lecture preaching’ – oh, I’m sorry, I meant ‘lecture teaching’. Jeffrey Deaver could have done the same thing as by the end of this novel, I realized that I really learned a wealth of information about illusion and magic. But Deaver is an artist that is a reader’s joy – the presentation is seamless in a cleverly crafted story that will capture your senses, expand your knowledge, and lead you through a skillfully written and tight page-turner. The other treasure of this novel is the presentation of the Evidence Board composed of discoveries of evidence at the Crime Scene(s) and Profile list of the criminal as each develops through the sequence of the novel chapters and as each becomes a method of comparison for similarities and differences. What a wonderful novel to introduce Jeffrey Deaver to my reading list of fabulous authors! ( )
  Corduroy7 | Jun 29, 2014 |
Heath liked it. Magician serial killer, lots of twists, not my favorite ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
The New York Times bestselling author of The Stone Monkey is back with a brilliant thriller that pits forensic criminologist Lincoln Rhyme and his partner, Amelia Sachs, against an unstoppable killer with one final, horrific trick up his sleeve. The Los Angeles Times calls his novels "thrill rides between covers." The New York Times hails them as "dazzling," and The Times of London crowns him "the best psychological thriller writer around." Now Jeffery Deaver, America 's "master of ticking-bomb suspense" (People) delivers his most electrifying novel yet. It begins at a prestigious music school in New York City. A killer flees the scene of a homicide and locks himself in a classroom. Within minutes, the police have him surrounded. When a scream rings out, followed by a gunshot, they break down the door. The room is empty. Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are brought in to help with the high-profile investigation. For the ambitious Sachs, solving the case could earn her a promotion. For the quadriplegic Rhyme, it means relying on his protgée to ferret out a master illusionist they've dubbed "the conjurer," who baits them with gruesome murders that become more diabolical with each fresh crime. As the fatalities rise and the minutes tick down, Rhyme and Sachs must move beyond the smoke and mirrors to prevent a terrifying act of vengeance that could become the greatest vanishing act of all.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Re-read this, possibly my favorite Lincoln Rhyme book. I love the insight into magic, the false endings (hey, they caught the bad guy but there's 200 pages left!), and more Deaver twists and turns than normal. Probably ten years between readings, enough that I was caught off guard by the plot turns. I caught a few things this time through that I think would have been more logical investigative pathways, but that's with benefit of hindsight. Good page-turner. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Apr 19, 2013 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curtoni, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parolini, MauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"A conjuring trick is generally regarded by magicians as consisting of an effect and a
method. The effect is what the spectator sees... The method is the secret behind the effect and allows the effect to take place."

--Peter Lamont and Richard Wiseman "Magic in Theory"
To Madelyn Warcholik
Greetings, Revered Audience.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743437810, Mass Market Paperback)

Presto! With a conjuror's flourish, the reliable Jeffery Deaver has pulled another winner out of his hat. The Vanished Man brings back Lincoln Rhyme, forensic investigator, and his sidekick Amelia Sachs, ex-model and beat cop, a team featured in four previous books. Their case begins with a murder in which the culprit, cornered in a locked room, seemingly vanishes into thin air. Rhyme soon realizes he's up against a master illusionist--and then acquires a conjuror of his own, a spunky apprentice magician, to advise him. The book is chock-a-block with magic lore and with details of the craft of illusion, which provide a fine complement to the engrossing forensic-science puzzles.

The characters, as usual with Deaver, are little more than cardboard cutouts. Even Rhyme himself, a brilliant quadriplegic and former head of NYPD forensics, seems more a collection of characteristics than a man. But Deaver's cutouts are sturdy and well-constructed, and the book's plotting and pacing--featuring twist upon twist and reversal upon reversal--are nothing short of dazzling, reminiscent of Agatha Christie at her best. Deaver proves himself an accomplished illusionist, misdirecting your attention with one hand while slipping a firecracker down your pants with the other. --Nicholas H. Allison

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:52 -0400)

This thriller pits forensic criminologist Lincoln Rhyme and his partner Amelia Sachs against an unstoppable "invisible" killer. As the fatalities rise and the minutes tick down, they must move beyond the smoke and mirrors to prevent a terrifying act of vengeance that could become the greatest vanishing act of all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,126,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible