Being Elizabeth by Barbara Taylor Bradford

Being Elizabeth (2009)

by Barbara Taylor Bradford

English (5)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (7)
I decided to try a bit of British romance in honor of being involved in the Downton Abbey experience and was a bit disappointed in the repetitiveness of much of the action and commentary - often without really changing the words. Did enjoy the references to English culture which seem to have continued into this century.
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Elizabeth I was anything but boring, but this retelling of her story in a modern setting most definitely was. The idea is interesting, although not original, but the story itself was not well done. I was very disappointed. ( )
  MmeRose | Dec 13, 2009 |
At the age of 25, Elizabeth finds herself the heir to a multibillion dollar family business. She is reunited with a childhood playmate, Robert Donnely, who she hires as her advisor. Soon their friendship turns to romance. Their liaison is considered scandalous because he is married. Although his marriage is on paper only, and soon to be dissolved. Elizabeth isn't concerned with Robert's status, because she has no interest in marriage, although she is deeply in love with Robert. When Amy his wife dies from a mysterious fall "Chinese secrets" bring Robert under suspicion, even though his name is soon cleared. It seems that there are a number of mysterious "deaths in Elizabeth's family history. (no doubt what left her as sole heir) A decade later, after surviving a deadly illness, and threat losing the empire to backstabbers, Elizabeth is named Woman of the year, and agrees marry Robert. ( )
  SFM13 | Oct 20, 2009 |
This is one of the laziest attempts at authorship that I have ever seen!! I should say that I normally like BTB's work and bought this book based on her reputation.
I'd only read a few pages when I realised that it's the story of Elizabeth I of England only in a "modern" setting. So the previous reviewer has it spot on - it is based on a true story but it has absolutely none of the fire and excitement of the real events. Queen Elizabeth was in fear of her life - this doesn't translate well to fear of losing your seat on the board!!
BTB is taking the p'ss here. She's done her research, I'll grant you that, but she's been so lazy that she's even including well-known quotes made by the Queen and her contemporaries - some with slight adjustment for modern times - but its a very poor effort. There are no surprises - no twists on the original. Its exactly the same story but without the sparkle and dull beyond belief.
I see that she includes a bibliography. And its just as well she does because otherwise, I imagine she risks being accused of plagiarism. Great chunks of info about Elizabeth substituting key words like "boardroom" for "palace", "company" for "country".
Don't waste your money on this pale imitation. Read the real history of the real Elizabeth, one of the most remarkable women of all time.
1 vote UKReader | Mar 19, 2009 |
I really liked this book. The reason it took me so long to read it was because I was trying to read too many books at one time. It was a nice romance. I hoped that Elizabeth and Robin would get married but it leads you to think that they might. I think that this could be a real life senereo. I plan to read more by this author. ( )
  RPerritt | Jan 15, 2009 |
Toen ik sliep, droomde ik dat leven gelijkstond aan Geluk, Toen ik wakker werd. ontdekte ik dat leven Plicht was. Ik ging tot actie over, en zidaar: Plicht was Geluk. Rabindranath Tagore
Ik buig, maar breek biet. Jean de la Fontaine
Werken is meer dan plezier alleen. Noël Coward
Mijn ware liefde bezit mijn hart en ik het zijne, Door gewoonweg het ene tegen het andere te ruilen. Ik koester het, en hij kan niet zonder het mijne, Een betere koop werd nooit geloten. Sir Philip Siddney
Hoezeer ik u bemin? Laat me de manieren tellen waarop. Ik bemin u tot in het diepst, de hele ruimte en hoogte Van mijn ziel, wanneer ik me vergeten voel Door de eindigheid van het bestaan an volmaakte genade. Ik bemin u eevenzeer als elke dag in alle stilte Hunkert naar zon en kaarslicht. Elizabeth Barret Browning
Voor Bob, met liefs

At age twenty-five, Elizabeth Deravenel finds herself in a position few women her age could image: the head of Deravenels, a business empire that spans the globe. It’s a company whose reach is wide and whose secrets are deep. Deravenels has roots that go far back in her family’s history, and she knows the price that many had to pay to see it reach the success it is today. And Elizabeth is the youngest executive in the company she now leads. Surrounded by rumors and disloyalty, she knows that there are many people who would give anything to take down the company—and her with it. With her enemies circling, she finds herself at a crossroad of choices involving her mind, her heart, and her destiny. As scandal surrounds the one man she’s ever loved, Elizabeth discovers how the next move she makes could have deadly and final consequences.

The number-one bestselling author delivers her most provocative, sizzling novel yet—a story of money, power, love, and betrayal that only Barbara Taylor Bradford could write.

At age twenty-five, Elizabeth Deravenel finds herself in a position few women her age could image: the head of Deravenels, a business empire that spans the globe. It’s a company whose reach is wide and whose secrets are deep. Deravenels has roots that go far back in her family’s history, and she knows the price that many had to pay to see it reach the success it is today. And Elizabeth is the youngest executive in the company she now leads.  Surrounded by rumors and disloyalty, she knows that there are many people who would give anything to take down the company—and her with it. With her enemies circling, she finds herself at a crossroad of choices involving her mind, her heart, and her destiny. As scandal surrounds the one man she’s ever loved, Elizabeth discovers how the next move she makes could have deadly and final consequences. Being Elizabeth is Barbara Taylor Bradford at her storytelling best.

“Rife with dastardly internecine struggles, smoldering illicit passion, and cowardly insidious betrayals…packs as much intrigue as any Shakespearean royal drama.”

---Booklist on The Heir

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:54 -0400)

Elizabeth Deravenel finds herself at the crossroads of love and duty as she runs one of the most powerful business dynasties in history.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible