The Bodies Left Behind: A Novel by Jeffery…

The Bodies Left Behind: A Novel (2008)

by Jeffery Deaver

English (55)  Italian (2)  All (57)
Now this is how you write a thriller!!! I am adding Jeffrey Deaver to my author's list. Reading this book was like watching a good suspense movie.  The only reason that I rated it kind of low is that there were some slow moments that did could have been left out. Otherwise this book kept me on the edge of my seat; and just when I would start to get comfortable  there would be another twist.  I highly recommend it! ( )
  1forthebooks | May 22, 2018 |
Bad. Not worthy. Do not read. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I was pretty disappointed with this. JDeaver has a great talent for twists & typically does research (or so it seems to me)so his details ring true.
Not this time.
City hitmen & country cops found their way thru state park forests at night - bumping into clues in the most amazing ways. Oh, and they could see amazing distances (at night, no special scopes) some that I would be hard pressed to pick out in the Daytime.
And rattlesnakes are just NOT going to be active in WI in April. Not.
Maybe I'm too picky, but having some experience, both with WI and country life, I feel in a position to shake my head at this one. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Dopo aver letto questo romanzo, mi sono convinta che Deaver venga pagato a numero di pagine scritte.
Oltre 300 pagine di assoluto niente, un inseguimento assurdo in mezzo a una foresta, con prevedibilissimi colpi di scena. Va bene giocare sull'"apparenza inganna", ma dopo un po' inizia ad essere banale e scontato.
La seconda parte, in cui i nodi vengono al pettine, è di un semplicismo disarmante.

Lo spunto sarebbe stato ottimo per un racconto, ma non di più. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
This was an enjoyable book, but nowhere as enjoyable as the other book I've read by him this year The Bone Collector. True it was gritty but for much of the book it moved along too slowly and I wasn't particularly into the cat and mouse game that took up most of the book. Kept saying don't do that or what are you doing that for. Was not totally enraptured by the characters in the book. The initial part of the book however did stand out as creeping me out. An ok read but not a great read, hence 3.5 stars rounded down to 3. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
What’s this? A Jeffery Deaver novel with no mad-dog serial killer and no state-of-the-art technology to track his moves? Pinch me. But THE BODIES LEFT BEHIND is no dream, only a different kind of nightmare — the elemental one of being hunted down in the wild like an animal.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Nov 14, 2008)

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. -John Muir
For Robby Burroughs
Silence. The woods around Lake Mondac were as quiet as could be, a world of difference from the churning, chaotic city where the couple spent their weekdays.

A distant lake house in Wisconsin. A call to police emergency is cut short. A phone glitch, or something more sinister? Off-duty Deputy Brynn McKenzie goes to find out and stumbles onto the scene of a murder. Before she can call for backup, she finds herself the next potential victim. Deprived of her phone, weapon and car, Brynn flees, along with the other survivor of the crime.
These unlikely allies can survive only by escaping into the dense, deserted woods, on a desperate trek to safety. And ultimately to a life or death choice. Flight. Or fight?

Arriving at a deserted lake house to investigate an aborted call to police, Deputy Anna McCafferty walks into the middle of a heinous crime and is deprived of her weapon, car, and phone, forced to flee, along with the twenty-five-year-old daughter of the murdered couple, into the surrounding forest to escape the perpetrators who must eliminate any potential witnesses.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,538,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible