If It Die by André Gide

If It Die (1920)

by André Gide

Published in France in 1902 as Si le grain ne meurt. ( )
  TonySandel | Sep 15, 2007 |

André Gideprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bussy, DorothyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frasconi, AntonioCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. John XII, 24.
I was born on November 22, 1869.
-The secret motive of our acts - I mean of the most decisive ones - escapes us; and not in memory but at the very moment of their occurrence.
-At last I realized how much pride lay concealed in this resistance of mine to what I had once called temptation, but which I called so no longer, now that I had ceased to fight against it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:15 -0400)

This is the major autobiographical statement from Nobel laureate André Gide. In the events and musings recorded here we find the seeds of those themes that obsessed him throughout his career and imbued his classic novels The Immoralist and The Counterfeiters. Gide led a life of uncompromising self-scrutiny, and his literary works resembled moments of that life. With If It Die, Gide determined to relay without sentiment or embellishment the circumstances of his childhood and the birth of his philosophic wanderings, and in doing so to bring it all to light. Gide’s unapologetic account of his awakening homosexual desire and his portrait of Oscar Wilde and Lord Alfred Douglas as they indulged in debauchery in North Africa are thrilling in their frankness and alone make If It Die an essential companion to the work of a twentieth-century literary master.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible