Lost by Cathy Ostlere

Lost (2008)

by Cathy Ostlere

I'm at lost.

It's art. It's what you make it.

But here's my interpretation because I want to:
I'm calling them Black and White. They are personally close to each other. White & Black go on their adventure together. They discover a place that is new to them and get separated. Black can't escape the 4 panels while White in another side/world is being haunted by a monster. White is pretty aggressive. Whenever he sees the creature, he punches it on the face. The unknown creature is probably his own demon. Subsequently, he was caught by a white guy with a cloudy hair. The white guy with the cloudy hair is reality. On the other side, Black encounters his people and the feeling of belongingness engulfs him. So, he stayed together with other imaginary friends left by the other Whites. Black is an imaginary friend of White. The ending shows White already grew up and reminiscing his path of childhood.

What I wrote is all bullshit. But, I encourage you to make your own and do not copy my thoughts. If we think the same, high five!

EDIT: I didn't know it's a sequel. Meh. Never mind what I wrote =.= ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
In 1995, Cathy Ostlere's brother, David, set out with his girlfriend, Sarah, to sail from Ireland to the Madeira Islands. They did not make it. This book is Cathy Ostlere's own voyage, which begins at the point of having to reveal the secret of his voyage to their family - a secret he had forced on her so as not to worry their mother. Always very close to her brother, Cathy herself becomes lost in a strangely parallel way, not only as she attempts to unravel what might have happened to her brother, his beloved Sarah and their boat, but as she looks at her own life.

The story covers approximately a full year and moves through several stages of grief to a final acceptance, however hard, by the family that David won't be coming back. I don't normally read this kind of book but the opening paragraph drew me in, particularly the sentence "We are a prairie family - there is a certain dryness to us.", so I knew this wouldn't be a maudlin wallow but something thoughtful, different. It was. Her writing is beautiful, raw, honest. It was also philosophical, exploring how we live and the meaning of life, as she shows us David's approaches to things, comparing it to her own and others in her family. Never preachy, always deft, although the reality of the tale at the heart of this book is one of extraordinary sadness and loss, the book itself is paradoxically very beautiful. The best way I can sum it up is to say that it is a uniquely writer's way of dealing with her loss: by writing. Her words roll like the waves which took her brother as she attempts to grapple with the grief of death, but also the grief of of living, while still contained by that "certain dryness". Not a particularly easy read emotionally but recommended.
  tiffin | Nov 1, 2008 |
The water remembers what happened to the ship. - Pablo Neruda
"A man sits as many risks as he runs." Henry David Thoreau
For my children In memory of David Ostlere and Sarah Heald
We sit around the kitchen table, waiting.

Cathy Ostlere is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,035,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible