America Anonymous: Eight Addicts in Search…

America Anonymous: Eight Addicts in Search of a Life

by Benoit Denizet-Lewis

Voluntary Madness: My Year Lost and Found in the Loony Bin by Norah Vincent (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Both books deal with people (including the authors) struggling with problems that keep them from having fulfilling lives. Denizet-Lewis writes about addicts and Vincent writes about the mentally ill. Both make it clear that specialists, institutions and disease models can only go so far in helping people to attain a good life.… (more)

Wow. A truly powerful read.

For addicts and non-addicts alike, this book is eye-opening. Following eight different addicts with various addictions from drugs, to sex, to shoplifting, this is sure to pluck at some heart strings.

It's also interesting to see the varying reactions by the public to different addictions. For instance, food and shoplifting addictions are seen as lack of will power or morals. People assume you can just choose not to eat all the time or choose to have good morals and not steal. But it's so much more than that.

And then of course, sex addiction. In a society revolving around sex, many find this ridiculous and sex addicts around the nation are being scoffed at.

This book is one of a kind and will have you completely invested in the individuals stories. They will have you wanting to hug them and shake them. They will have you rooting for them.

I highly recommend this book be read. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
The unforgettable story of eight men and women from around the country--including a grandmother, a college student, a bodybuilder, and a housewife--struggling with addictions. For nearly three years, journalist Benoit Denizet-Lewis immersed himself in their lives as they battled drug and alcohol abuse, overeating, and compulsive gambling and sexuality. Alternating with their stories is Denizet-Lewis's candid account of his own recovery from sexual addiction and his examination of our culture of addiction, where we obsessively search for new and innovative ways to escape the reality of the present moment and make ourselves feel "better." Through the stories of Americans in various stages of recovery and relapse, Denizet-Lewis shines a spotlight on our most misunderstood health problem (is addiction a brain disease? A spiritual malady? A moral failing?) and breaks through the shame and denial that still shape our cultural understanding of it--and hamper our ability to treat it.--From publisher description.(quoted form Chesterfield County Library site) ( )
  Anne0729 | Apr 11, 2009 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible