Lucky Everyday: A Novel by Bapsy Jain

Lucky Everyday: A Novel

by Bapsy Jain

It's hard to briefly describe what this novel is about. Lucky Everyday depicts a formerly-wealthy Indian Parsi, Lucky, who ends up fending for herself in New York City and volunteering to teach yoga at a men's prison.

It might seem like this would be exclusively "chick-lit", bit it also has a lot of mystery/thriller elements, along with yoga-like spiritual insights thrown in. It all worked for me :-).

Quote: "....Lucky thought about the way things changed, a dent here, a ding there. You would think sometimes that you were altering your life, but it was not like trading your old car for the latest model. Perhaps it was more like restoring a wreck, and you never knew until you finished whether the paint would match."

I liked this novel well enough to find its sequel, A Star Called Lucky , which is self-published by the author (in contrast, Lucky Everyday was published by Penguin), so we shall see how I like the sequel. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Jul 7, 2017 |
Book Synopsis: Lately, Lucky Boyce has been anything but lucky. Forced to flee Bombay when her wealthy and charming husband divorces her and squashes her successful entrepreneurial career, Lucky feels defeated and desperate for respite. Fortunately, old friends welcome her to New York, where her life begins to breathe promise once again. Determined, and trying to make a difference, she volunteers to teach yoga to prison inmates. But just when self-esteem and love start to surface, a series of bizarre events leave Lucky wondering if her journey through life is marred by duplicity and betrayal. Or does she simply need to overcome her fears and look within to find the strength to break free?

My review: Well, this book pretty much sucked. I thought it might be interesting because it deals a bit with spirituality and yoga. I was hoping it would be another "Breakfast with Buddha" or "[b:Eat Pray Love|19501|Eat, Pray, Love|Elizabeth Gilbert|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1269870432s/19501.jpg|3352398]" but it was really more "Oh my gosh, what else can go wrong in this chick's life?" soap opera. I hate soap operas.

At first, when things go bad the first time, you think, "man, that does suck." Then as the fifth, sixth and seventh thing go bad, I just thought, wow, is this the whole book? One bad thing happens to Lucky over and over and over again. The moral of the story gets lost in the crap that surrounds it.

****SPOILER ALERT****
The end REALLY sucks. She goes back to the prison and there's a riot and some guys try to kill her and she just starts fading away and is okay with it. WHAT?! After all that - the misleading, the lies, the betrayal, the physically pain and now just when things might get better she gets killed? Screw this book.

Supposedly, Bapsy Jain was writing it's sequel but I am soooo not even interested in picking it up especially if it's more of the author throwing as much bad stuff as possible at her character. And for no real reason either. There's not a whole lot of redemption or lessons being learned. Or if there is I lost it because I got stuck thinking, why in the world am I reading this annoying book!

As one reviewer put it:
The character is well-written and her plight sympathetic but the bizarre series of events that makes up the plot is one big pile of WTF. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Lucky Everyday tells the story of Lucky, a young woman who appears to have all the good luck life can offer her. But one day her luck begins to change and everything that she worked so hard to achieve, falls apart in her hands. While Lucky considers how easy it would be to end it all in the park, she meets an older lady named Shanti who becomes her guide and source of inspiration. With Shanti's help, Lucky begins to piece back together her life, albeit in a different form. However, just when she thinks she has found the peace and happiness she was seeking, life throws her another set of challenges. Again Lucky puts back together the pieces surrounding her. Her reward? One major challenge that could be bring the end to everything.

I really enjoyed this book. I found myself regularly wanting to read 'just one more chapter' because I wanted to know what was going to happen. Bapsy Jain, the author, does clearly have a message she wishes to get across but she has rightfully (in my opinion) not done it in a way that makes it so in your face that you put the book down. Instead, the message flows throughout the book but quietly in the background. The ending does live big question marks and I for one and looking forward to the sequel, Night Vision, which is yet to be published. ( )
  eesti23 | Jul 3, 2010 |
If you are looking for a book that will surprise you, go for this one. Just when you think you know what is coming there is a new twist in the tale. But the icing on the cake is really the unexpected lessons of how to deal with life in all its complexities.
A well written book that is completely different from the angst ridden contemporary Indian writing that is so typical of Indians writing about Indians living abroad. ( )
  Unishta | Jul 10, 2009 |

Forced to flee Bombay when her wealthy and charming husband divorces her and squashes her career, Lucky Boyce feels defeated and desperate for respite. Fortunately, old friends welcome her to New York where life begins with promise. Determined and trying to make a difference, she volunteers to teach yoga to prison inmates. But with her confidence in question and love starting to surface, a series of bizarre events leave Lucky searching once again for answers. Is her journey through life destined to be marred by duplicity and betrayal? Or does she simply need to overcome her fears and look within for the strength to break free? A stunning novel about one woman's struggle toward enlightenment, Lucky Everyday blends the principles of yoga with a thoroughly modern take on the quest for a fulfilled life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible