A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wind in the Door (original 1973; edition 1974)

by Madeleine L'Engle, Jody A. Lee (Illustrator)

Member:whitefantom
Title:A Wind in the Door
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle
Other authors:Jody A. Lee (Illustrator)
Info:Yearling (1974), Paperback, 240 pages

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle (1973)

Out of what I read of the Time Quintet originally this was the book I had the scantiest recollection of. I reread [b:A Wrinkle in Time|18131|A Wrinkle in Time|Madeleine L'Engle|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1329061522s/18131.jpg|948387] and [b:A Swiftly Tilting Planet|77276|A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time, #3)|Madeleine L'Engle|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327465278s/77276.jpg|1196024] many many times, but this one? Not so much. My memory of it was very shaky and I think it got mixed somewhere over the years with some Magic School Bus episodes.

Really.

Nevertheless, rereading the book I found a lot of charming parts of it. I don't feel that it was nearly as strong as [b:A Wrinkle in Time|18131|A Wrinkle in Time|Madeleine L'Engle|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1329061522s/18131.jpg|948387], but poking around I discovered that for a great many people this book was really their favorite. The author's speculative biology was both misinformed and predictive, interesting and thematic. It's a bit heavy, but all of her books are. I think my main problem was that the book came off as more rushed than the others for me.

Progonoskies is a fantastic character, but Blajeny and Sporos both didn't seem fully developed. Calvin could have been emphasized a bit more, too, considering what part he and his family play in [b:A Wrinkle in Time|18131|A Wrinkle in Time|Madeleine L'Engle|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1329061522s/18131.jpg|948387] and [b:A Swiftly Tilting Planet|77276|A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time, #3)|Madeleine L'Engle|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327465278s/77276.jpg|1196024] but that might just be my own bias speaking.

Man, I wish this universe had been more fully fleshed out. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
1.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
I would really give this a 3.5!

I loved this one so much more than the first. It's just as weird but for some reason, it was easier for me to follow what was going on in this adventure rather than the one before. As always, I loved Calvin and find myself rooting for him and Meg to just admit their love, even if it is just the sweet and innocent kind. I'm looking forward to seeing where their adventures take them next and the interesting creatures they will meet. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
This was not my type of story. That doesn't mean others won't like it.
I can say I'm done with this series. ( )
  stevealtier | Mar 15, 2018 |
This book has always been my favorite of the Time Quintet - except that I think I read it for the first time when it was still the Time Quartet. I always associated most with Meg in these books, so this one, in which she features so prominently, resonated with me.

The audio version is good, though it can be a bit hard a times to figure out who is talking. It got to the point where I stopped worrying about who was speaking; usually the intent was there in the words if you let it be, and the specific person doing the speaking didn't matter as much. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"What, nephew,"said the king, "is the wind in that door?" -- Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte d'Arthur
For Pat
"There are dragons in the twins' vegetable garden."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440487617, Paperback)

"There are dragons in the twins' vegetable garden," announces six-year-old Charles Wallace Murry in the opening sentence of The Wind in the Door. His older sister, Meg, doubts it. She figures he's seen something strange, but dragons--a "dollop of dragons," a "drove of dragons," even a "drive of dragons"--seem highly unlikely. As it turns out, Charles Wallace is right about the dragons--though the sea of eyes (merry eyes, wise eyes, ferocious eyes, kitten eyes, dragon eyes, opening and closing) and wings (in constant motion) is actually a benevolent cherubim (of a singularly plural sort) named Proginoskes who has come to help save Charles Wallace from a serious illness.

In her usual masterful way, Madeleine L'Engle jumps seamlessly from a child's world of liverwurst and cream cheese sandwiches to deeply sinister, cosmic battles between good and evil. Children will revel in the delectably chilling details--including hideous scenes in which a school principal named Mr. Jenkins is impersonated by the Echthroi (the evil forces that tear skies, snuff out light, and darken planets). When it becomes clear that the Echthroi are putting Charles Wallace in danger, the only logical course of action is for Meg and her dear friend Calvin O'Keefe to become small enough to go inside Charles Wallace's body--into one of his mitochondria--to see what's going wrong with his farandolae. In an illuminating flash on the interconnectedness of all things and the relativity of size, we realize that the tiniest problem can have mammoth, even intergalactic ramifications. Can this intrepid group voyage through time and space and muster all their strength of character to save Charles Wallace? It's an exhilarating, enlightening, suspenseful journey that no child should miss.

The other books of the Time quartet, continuing the adventures of the Murry family, are A Wrinkle in Time; A Swiftly Tilting Planet, which won the American Book Award; and Many Waters. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:04 -0400)

With Meg Murry's help, the dragons her six-year-old brother saw in the vegetable garden play an important part in his struggle between life and death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,677,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible