The Awakening by L. A. Banks

The Awakening (2004)

by L. A. Banks

Other authors: Vince Natale (Cover artist)

Series: Vampire Huntress Legend (2)

Minion by L. A. Banks (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is the start of the [Vampire Huntress Series].

SO I gave the second book in the series a shot and it's still not really holding my attention. The gangsta talk seems so forced and fake. It's almost too painful to read at times. ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |
With the sequel to Minion, Banks has learned to catch the reader from the start and to bring it all the way home. She is able to think ahead and give insights to what might be in later books which only servers to hook you deeper and longer to this series. Clearly Banks has an image in her head of what she believes Heaven and Hell should be and the creativity and scope is...well as Damali often says Dayuuum. ( )
1 vote JoshuaKyte | Aug 27, 2011 |
I attempted to read. Did not like the plot. Cursing waaayyyyy over the top. ( )
  ChandraGay | Jan 24, 2011 |
This wasn't very interesting. I gave multiple efforts to read this book, but neither the characters nor the plot ever managed to snag my interest. Since then, I've given this series a wide berth. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Nov 1, 2010 |
I was really hesitant to read the first book in the series ("Minion") and found it to be really slow and uninteresting in the beginning but it picked up in the end. This book did not have the same problem. I was hooked from the start. I like how Banks provided a little bit of a reminder of what happened in the first book (not that I needed it). But even that had me hooked.

In "The Awakening", Banks continues to build on the world that she has created, and it is very complex. Which is good and bad. It is good because it keeps the story moving forward and allows the reader to see the rules and guidelines that govern almost everything, good and evil. It is bad because it causes her to sit up situations that explain what is going on and why, that takes sometimes and subtracts from the action vibe that the story has.

I find most of Banks character to be captivating, even the bad guys. You want to know their story and what is going to happen to them. She gives you little glimpses of pieces throughout the novel (probably so that you will read the next one), but just enough to keep the story rolling and your curiosity perked.

I enjoy Banks witting and don't find that it is very difficult to read. It doesn't take much thought, its like watching an very good action more. You don't think you just absorbed the sences that she is sitting up for you. The only problem with her writing that I have is her use of slang not only in dialog but also in her sentence structure. It service the purpose of keeping with the stories settings but it also not only dates the story but her. I find some of the terms and actions of the characters to be out of date. ( )
  MoniqueReads | Jan 12, 2009 |

L. A. Banksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vince NataleCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carlos assessed his situation fast.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312987021, Mass Market Paperback)

A battle is brewing in the underworld, and at the center of it all is Damali Richards, spoken word artist and vampire huntress. But she is not just any huntress; she is the millennium Neteru, a woman so powerful that the vampire world is about to start a war-one that threatens to spread onto her streets-in order to possess her...

Fallon Nuit, a rogue vampire who is one of the most powerful Damali has ever encountered, has allied himself with the deadly Amanthra demons in order to claim her. But the Vampire Council has plans for her as well. And now an unlikely variable has entered the equation: an ex-lover turned master vampire with an agenda of his own. Damali must risk trusting him once more if they are to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:31 -0400)

Vampire huntress Damali Richards confronts powerful master vampire Fallon Nuit to forestall a bloody civil war among the vampire ranks, but her quest is threatened by the return of an ex-lover-turned-vampire with his own agenda.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,305,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible