Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Earthborn (Homecoming Saga) by Orson Scott…

Earthborn (Homecoming Saga) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:CharlesP
Title:Earthborn (Homecoming Saga)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (1996), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***
Tags:FromShelfari

Earthborn by Orson Scott Card (1995)

I am in favor of the moral values discussed in this book. That said, this part of the saga was uninteresting in the extreme. The other 4 books were kind of preachy, but those had good stories. The story in this book seems flat and most of it is wasted.

Throughout the series there have been scenes that hearken back to Biblical stories. This book had that too. I don't mind, but an atheist would probably not like any of the books. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
cover near enough
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
A very thinly veiled religious allegory, extremely preachy. Barely even about anything related to the first four books in this "series." Disappointing. ( )
  EmScape | Nov 21, 2013 |
This book shares very little with the rest of the Homecoming series, but wouldn't make much sense without having read the rest of the series. It was worth reading once but I doubt I'll reread it any time soon. It continues Card's Book of Mormon-based tale, so if you're pretty familiar with the Book of Mormon, you'll have a pretty good idea of where the whole story is going. ( )
  cargocontainer | Feb 1, 2011 |
After having read some of the other reviews of this volume of the Homecoming series, I thought I would be disappointed. To be quite honest, I even started off the book disappointed. In Earthfall, we finally got to the point of Nafai being a man - no longer a boy - so that things could start to get interesting. But by that time, the escalation betweek him and Elemak was to the point that there was nothing else that could be done. One would kill the other. End of story.

So, in Earthborn, we start off a couple hundred years after the events of Earthfall with an entirely new set of prepubescent heroes. *sigh* Fortunately, they're grown out of their youthful ignorance relatively quickly - so the interesting things can happen.

I thought Shedemai's return to living was the most interesting part of the story, so I was somewhat disappointed that she didn't have a more forceful role. Apparently her most public action was at her trial that was ended before it really started. Obviously, her turn as the Messenger of the Keeper was interesting and probably fun for her, but it wasn't public and she never publicly "came out". I thought that may have been a compelling bit of story to tell...

The end though, was a pretty hefty let down for me. I think I would have preferred some closure for Shedemai... How long *DID* she live? What happened with the cloak? Did she have more children? I wanted to see her story resolved... and I was disappointed that Card completed the events surrounding Akma's redemption and left the rest as a exercise for the reader.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the book and powered my way through it in two sessions... but I just wasn't terribly happy with where the author left us... ( )
  helver | Sep 17, 2010 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jerry and Gail Argetsinger: Before the pagent, before the costumes, before we were cast in the roles we play today, you taught me how to create a lasting love.
Prologue - Once, long ago, the computer of the starship Basilica had governed the planet Harmony for forty million years.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812532988, Mass Market Paperback)

High above the earth orbits the starship Basilica. On board the huge vessel is a sleeping woman. Of those who made the journey, Shedemai alone has survived the hundred of years since the Children of Wetchik returned to Earth.

She now wears the Cloak of the Starmaster, and the Oversoul wakes her sometimes to watch over her descendants on the planet below. The population has grown rapidly--there are cities and nations now, whole peoples descended from the who followed Nafai or Elemak.

But in all the long years of watching and searching, the Oversoul has not found the thing it sought. It has not found the Keeper of the Earth, the central intelligence that also can repair the Oversoul's damaged programming.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

The conclusion to a religious saga about humans who return to Earth after an absence of 40 million years. They are all dead except for Shedemi who is orbiting the earth in a spaceship with Oversoul, the computer on board, seeking the Keeper of Earth, the supreme being.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible