Earthfall by Orson Scott Card

Earthfall (1995)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Homecoming Saga (4)

First in series. Sam is struggling to survive in a London populated by flying Alien drones and huge robotic warriors called Grendels. He is rescued from certain death by a girl called Rachael who is part of a group of teenagers fighting the aliens lead by a doctor called Stirling. Sam discovers that all the teenagers and Stirling have been implanted with a device that blocks the brain controlling waves that the aliens have sent to enslave the human population. Sam has one too, implanted by his father who was working covertly with the aliens to try and work out a way to destroy them But there are other humans on the planet working WITH the aliens called the Voidborn, and they will stop at nothing to achieve the aliens' goals. Ok story but needed a bit of tidy up and maybe editorial review - there are typos in this book ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 3, 2017 |
cover near enough
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Started interesting, turned boring. Exact opposite than the previous one.

You'd think after however many years either one of the brothers would grow up and realize that they are not going to get what they want from the other.
Halfway through the book I got tired of hearing the sibling's whining on love me/kill him. Someone should have had some brain and killed Elemak ages ago so that we could have an actual subplot as plot, and maybe a decent ending.

Ending completely disappointing too, quick wrap up that says nothing at all. Makes it seem that the point wasn't the trip to Earth and war there and stuff (as the back of the book makes me believe), but just the brother's whiny enmity. If I'd known that, I would have stopped at book two. ( )
  AshuritaLove | May 20, 2014 |
Finally, we're on Earth. However, if you think you might get some answers about who the Keeper of Earth might be, both you and the Oversoul are sorely mistaken. The rift between Nafai and Elemak comes to a head, and although it's pretty satisfying, it's not all shiny and happy. The angel and digger societies are interesting bits of archaeology, though, so the book is worth reading. ( )
  EmScape | Nov 23, 2013 |
This was a good book, and fit with the nature of the rest of the series. It gets into some weirdness by introducing sentient species that I found to be more than a bit of a stretch to believe, but they were more plot devices than compelling characters. After reading this and the original four Ender's Game series, Card seems to write interesting human stories and mix them with aliens that I have a lot of difficulty getting attached to (or even interested in) in the way he seems to intend us to....moreThis was a good book, and fit with the nature of the rest of the series. It gets into some weirdness by introducing sentient species that I found to be more than a bit of a stretch to believe, but they were more plot devices than compelling characters. After reading this and the original four Ender's Game series, Card seems to write interesting human stories and mix them with aliens that I have a lot of difficulty getting attached to (or even interested in) in the way he seems to intend us to.

Earthfall brought the series to a reasonable (though frustratingly realistic and open-ended) close. However, Card wrote and published a fifth book to follow this fourth in the series. It's not that it was unreasonable to write a fifth, but having now read that also, be aware that while Earthborn shares a common universe and world with the rest of the series, Earthfall does bring the main story arc to a close. ( )
  cargocontainer | Feb 9, 2011 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shayne Bell, a good friend, a good writer, a good man.
Prologue - The master computer of Harmony was no longer quite itself; or rather, if you look at it in another way, it was twice itself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812532961, Mass Market Paperback)

High above the planet Harmony, the Oversoul watches, programmed forty million years ago to guard the human settlement from all threats, especially themselves. In the latest in the Hugo- and Nebula award-winning author's Homecoming series, the great artificial intelligence has lost control of the population, forbidden technology has been rediscovered, war has broken out, and the only repair lies light years distant on a lost and ruined Earth.

"There seems little doubt that the whole series will prove as readable--and as morally committed--as we've come to expect from Card." --Locus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

At last, the Wetchik tribe is ready to take a ship to the stars. But from the beginning there has been bitter dispute between Nafai and Elemak, Wetchik's youngest son and his oldest. And only Nefai, who wears the Cloak of the Starmaster by the Oversoul's command, understands what this means to the future of all.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible