Earthfall by Orson Scott Card

Earthfall (1995)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Homecoming Saga (4)

Started interesting, turned boring. Exact opposite than the previous one.

You'd think after however many years either one of the brothers would grow up and realize that they are not going to get what they want from the other.
Halfway through the book I got tired of hearing the sibling's whining on love me/kill him. Someone should have had some brain and killed Elemak ages ago so that we could have an actual subplot as plot, and maybe a decent ending.

Ending completely disappointing too, quick wrap up that says nothing at all. Makes it seem that the point wasn't the trip to Earth and war there and stuff (as the back of the book makes me believe), but just the brother's whiny enmity. If I'd known that, I would have stopped at book two. ( )
  AshuritaLove | May 20, 2014 |
Finally, we're on Earth. However, if you think you might get some answers about who the Keeper of Earth might be, both you and the Oversoul are sorely mistaken. The rift between Nafai and Elemak comes to a head, and although it's pretty satisfying, it's not all shiny and happy. The angel and digger societies are interesting bits of archaeology, though, so the book is worth reading. ( )
  EmScape | Nov 23, 2013 |
This was a good book, and fit with the nature of the rest of the series. It gets into some weirdness by introducing sentient species that I found to be more than a bit of a stretch to believe, but they were more plot devices than compelling characters. After reading this and the original four Ender's Game series, Card seems to write interesting human stories and mix them with aliens that I have a lot of difficulty getting attached to (or even interested in) in the way he seems to intend us to....moreThis was a good book, and fit with the nature of the rest of the series. It gets into some weirdness by introducing sentient species that I found to be more than a bit of a stretch to believe, but they were more plot devices than compelling characters. After reading this and the original four Ender's Game series, Card seems to write interesting human stories and mix them with aliens that I have a lot of difficulty getting attached to (or even interested in) in the way he seems to intend us to.

Earthfall brought the series to a reasonable (though frustratingly realistic and open-ended) close. However, Card wrote and published a fifth book to follow this fourth in the series. It's not that it was unreasonable to write a fifth, but having now read that also, be aware that while Earthborn shares a common universe and world with the rest of the series, Earthfall does bring the main story arc to a close. ( )
  cargocontainer | Feb 9, 2011 |
I guess the best way I can describe the ending to the fourth volume of the Homecoming series is with the term flaccid. This book is essentially split in two - the journey to Earth and then the splintering of the human colony on Earth. The first part ratchets up the temperature with Ellemak capturing and torturing Nafai. Nafai's Starmaster's cloak is the only reason he survives the beatings he takes from Ellemak and his trusty steel pipe. The resolution of that situation confused me... the whole thing just seemed to vanish in so much smoke. And really... if you've had your skull caved in on purpose by your brother, will you still love him? I don't think so. If it was me, I'd have taken the first opportunity to exterminate him - and probably jettison his worthless carcass into space.

The end of the second half was just as odd. Vas finds out that Sevet has been sleeping with Ellemak, and decides to take revenge now for the wrongs that he's had to endure. So he kills Obring and then goes to find and kill Ellemak. But when he gets there, he does the stupid Scooby-doo villian thing and starts talking... and talking... and talking until Meb shows up and squishes his skull like Gallagher. Dumb.

Then Volemak dies and Ellemak takes Nafai and all his people hostage. Nafai gives the cloak to Shedemai while the Oversoul puts everyone to sleep. Nafai and his folks skip town and build a new settlement with the angels and a few diggers. Shedemai and Zdorab hop in the ship and orbit the Earth for a couple hundred years, coming in and out of suspended animation. And Ellemak begins a war against Nafai.

And that's the end of the book. So I'll take a cue from the master and end my review here as well... after having resolved nothing but my need to say something. ( )
  helver | Sep 14, 2010 |
I like this saga quite a bit, and wouldn't want to skip any of the books. But this is not one that draws me to multiple rereadings, except when the fancy hits me to revisit the whole series. ( )
  RRHowell | Mar 27, 2010 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shayne Bell, a good friend, a good writer, a good man.
Prologue - The master computer of Harmony was no longer quite itself; or rather, if you look at it in another way, it was twice itself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812532961, Mass Market Paperback)

High above the planet Harmony, the Oversoul watches, programmed forty million years ago to guard the human settlement from all threats, especially themselves. In the latest in the Hugo- and Nebula award-winning author's Homecoming series, the great artificial intelligence has lost control of the population, forbidden technology has been rediscovered, war has broken out, and the only repair lies light years distant on a lost and ruined Earth.

"There seems little doubt that the whole series will prove as readable--and as morally committed--as we've come to expect from Card." --Locus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:18 -0400)

At last, the Wetchik tribe is ready to take a ship to the stars. But from the beginning there has been bitter dispute between Nafai and Elemak, Wetchik's youngest son and his oldest. And only Nefai, who wears the Cloak of the Starmaster by the Oversoul's command, understands what this means to the future of all.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,970,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible