Squid Pulp Blues by Jordan Krall

Squid Pulp Blues

by Jordan Krall

I bought this because I thought the guy on the cover looked cool and it sounded interesting like it would be a old style noir detective novel with some absurd squid stuff added in. Maybe something like "Gun with Occasional Music". I have read some Bizarro stuff from Aylett, Lawson and one or two others and I do tend to enjoy it in small doses (under 200 pages) but this one didn't really do it for me.

I read the first story and thought it was kind of boring and gross. It just made me feel kind of dirty. There was some weird stuff in there but not "crazy/cool". So then I skipped to the third story because it sounded more interesting. It was. It was really gross at times but seemed to kind of have a plot. Unfortunately the editing was really bad on the third story so I kept getting distracted by typos. There were some memorable scenes but I didn't enjoy it enough to read the third story (but I'm a pretty busy guy so I've become more picky in my old age). ( )
  ragwaine | Oct 5, 2014 |
Squid Pulp Blues is a collection of three linked novellas (and a bonus short story in the Kindle version). The stories are all set in Thompson New Jersey. They all involve criminals, and the characters from one story generally appear in the next. Being Jordan Krall stories, they involve squids. Also, I noticed links to both Fistful of Feet and King Scratch, which were published later (though I read them first).

The first story is "The Haberdasher." It's about a recent parolee who meets up with some of his criminal friends, and ends up in trouble with another criminal nicknamed the Haberdasher. There's also stuff about squid based drugs and a woman who gets her feet cut off. Strange.

Number two is "The Longheads." This one is about two criminals who get chased around by an old enemy called Peachy Keen. There are also longheads, who are war veterans who have come back from some war with elongated heads and mental instability.

Number three is "The Apocalypse Donkey," which is about a comic book writer who gets into trouble with a criminal who accidentally gives him an envelope that was meant for someone else. There's also a meth head and a strange donkey.

The bonus story is called "Billy Roanoke." It seemed to be a very short, weird story about revenge.

Overall, the stories were weird and disgusting and made little sense. This makes it cool. ( )
  yoyogod | Apr 29, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible