A Year In Provence by Peter Mayle

A Year In Provence (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Peter Mayle, Judith Clancy (Illustrator)

Series: Provence (1)

Member:empress8411
Title:A Year In Provence
Authors:Peter Mayle
Other authors:Judith Clancy (Illustrator)
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1990), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:General Non-Fiction, Memoir and Essay

A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle (1990)

20th century (15) autobiography (71) biography (56) British (16) culture (17) essays (14) Europe (16) expats (13) fiction (83) food (114) France (609) French (23) humor (100) literature (14) Mayle (13) memoir (308) non-fiction (305) novel (20) own (24) Peter Mayle (14) Provence (209) read (39) to-read (35) travel (548) travel essay (13) travel literature (11) travel writing (31) travelogue (28) unread (19) wine (27)
    A Summer in Gascony: Discovering the Other South of France by Martin Calder (mike_frank)
    French Fried: One Man's Move to France with Too Many Animals and an Identity Thief by Chris Dolley (codehooligans)
    codehooligans: Similar concepts. Brits move to France. Story are similar for a while. Discovering (and using) the new language. Learning to communicate. Both set in mid-1990s. French Fried has some later twists
    Next Time Round in Provence: The Vaucluse and the Bouches-Du-Rhone (KayCliff)
    Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik (carlym)

English (59)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
Although delightful and charming, it lacks any substance whatsoever. I was somwhere in July when he mentioned his wife and I realized I didn't know her name. Some of the neighbors get some personality developing but there isn't enough in each story. They start and then they just end. Perhaps people won't read a 300 page travel book but I would have liked more. However, it was charming and the food all made me hungry.
  amyem58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
L'original! ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
Since I just started the book, the current ... thing ... can't really be called a "review." It will be more of an ongoing "account."

I'm reading this as a book club selection. This seems to be common.

I am prepared to hate this book, since it looks like one of those books. If you know what I mean, you'll know what I mean.

We'll see.

The first chapter was well-written and diverting, but I can already see danger signs. I suspect -- and will enjoy watching whether my suspicion is confirmed -- there will be no truly unpleasant characters. No. They will all be ... picturesque.

Yes, Virginia: I am a snob. But I suspect I am not that kind of snob. ;^)

More to come.
  chexmix | Jul 19, 2013 |
I love stories about people who jump out in front of life and are not afraid to be hit with the adventure of a lifetime. I can only imagine this is what happened to Peter Mayle and his wife when they decided to buy a farmhouse in Provence, in the south of France. Mayle's book, A Year in Provence is exactly that, one calendar year of living and fixing up a place to call their own in the country. Everything about this book is delightful. I love the description of a fifteen course meal that seems to go on and on. I love the stone mason who walks them through all of the different stone they are going to need all over the house. ( )
1 vote SeriousGrace | Jul 10, 2013 |
lovely, light, entertaining, funny, mouth watering. ( )
1 vote KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
To Jennie, with love and thanks
The year began with lunch.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679731148, Paperback)

Who hasn't dreamed, on a mundane Monday or frowzy Friday, of chucking it all in and packing off to the south of France? Provençal cookbooks and guidebooks entice with provocatively fresh salads and azure skies, but is it really all Côtes-du-Rhône and fleur-de-lis? Author Peter Mayle answers that question with wit, warmth, and wicked candor in A Year in Provence, the chronicle of his own foray into Provençal domesticity.

Beginning, appropriately enough, on New Year's Day with a divine luncheon in a quaint restaurant, Mayle sets the scene and pits his British sensibilities against it. "We had talked about it during the long gray winters and the damp green summers," he writes, "looked with an addict's longing at photographs of village markets and vineyards, dreamed of being woken up by the sun slanting through the bedroom window." He describes in loving detail the charming, 200-year-old farmhouse at the base of the Lubéron Mountains, its thick stone walls and well-tended vines, its wine cave and wells, its shade trees and swimming pool--its lack of central heating. Indeed, not 10 pages into the book, reality comes crashing into conflict with the idyll when the Mistral, that frigid wind that ravages the Rhône valley in winter, cracks the pipes, rips tiles from the roof, and tears a window from its hinges. And that's just January.

In prose that skips along lightly, Mayle records the highlights of each month, from the aberration of snow in February and the algae-filled swimming pool of March through the tourist invasions and unpredictable renovations of the summer months to a quiet Christmas alone. Throughout the book, he paints colorful portraits of his neighbors, the Provençaux grocers and butchers and farmers who amuse, confuse, and befuddle him at every turn. A Year in Provence is part memoir, part homeowner's manual, part travelogue, and all charming fun. --L.A. Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:59 -0400)

They had been there often as tourists. They had cherished the dream of someday living all year under the Provencal sun. And suddenly it happened. Here is the month-by month account of the charms and frustrations that Peter Mayle and his wife -- and their two large dogs -- experience their first year in the remote country of the Luberon restoring a two-centuries-old stone farmhouse that they bought on sight. From coping in January with the first mistral, which comes howling down from the Rhone Valley and wreaks havoc with the pipes, to dealing as the months go by with the disarming promises and procrastination of the local masons and plumbers, Peter Mayle delights us with his strategies for survival. He relishes the growing camaraderie with his country neighbors -- despite the rich, soupy, often impenetrable patois that threatens to separate them. He makes friends with boar hunters and truffle hunters, a man who eats foxes, and another who bites dentists; he discovers the secrets of handicapping racing goats and of disarming vipers. And he comes to dread the onslaught of tourists who disrupt his tranquillity. In this often hilarious, seductive book Peter Mayle manages to transport us info all the earthy pleasures of Provencal life and lets us live vicariously in a tempo governed by seasons, not by days. George Lang, who was smitten suggests: "Get a glass of marc, lean back in your most comfortable chair, and spend a delicious year in Provence."… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140296034, 0141037253

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible