Tithe by Holly Black

Tithe

by Holly Black

Series: Modern Tales of Faerie (1)

adventure (23) changeling (32) dark (22) dark fantasy (32) ebook (21) fae (26) faerie (285) fairies (137) fairy (25) fairy tales (45) fantasy (527) fiction (245) Holly Black (33) magic (72) New Jersey (21) own (22) paperback (19) read (65) romance (60) series (48) sff (19) supernatural (40) teen (56) teen fiction (20) to-read (82) urban (21) urban fantasy (204) YA (206) young adult (275) young adult fiction (37)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (allisongryski, fayeflame)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (runningondreams)
    runningondreams: Both "Tithe" and "Fire and Hemlock" are modernized and somewhat modified forms of the Ballad of Tam Lin, and concern the dangerous and fantastic mixing of the mortal and faerie realms. If you enjoy both of these books I would also recommend "The Perilous Guard" by Elizabeth Marie Pope- the first I read of this story's re-tellings.… (more)
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Sometimes dark, sometimes magical, sometimes funny.
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (allisongryski)
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (TheBooknerd)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (Jannes)
    Jannes: Goblins and gouls in suburban america. The Crumrin books and Tithe share a view on adolescence that is slightly grittier than the norm as well as an obvious fascination with folklore and myth.
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent urban fantasy with a creepy and fantastic faerie world, a kick-ass heroine, and a building romance.
    Lament by Maggie Stiefvater (inblackink)
    The Various by Steve Augarde (JenMillar)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (kittycatpurr)
    Spells by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A fantastical collection of three short stories, all of which mix romance and magic and our world in chilling, wonderful, engaging ways.
    Wings by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Foiled by Jane Yolen (fyrefly98)
    The War Of The Flowers by Tad Williams (Jannes)
    Jannes: Both novels does the "modern faerie" thing, but in very different ways. Both manages a genuine sense of awe and magic, which is rare enough in fantasy today, so they're well worth checking out.
    Grimms Grimmest by Grimm/dockray (wosret)
    The Hunter's Moon by O. R. Melling (madmarch)

English (155)  Spanish (1)  All languages (156)
Modern urban faery fantasy for YA. but it doesn't quite work. The initial premise is poorly thought through and becoems confusing later on when the internal consistency of the faery rules breaks down. At imes ti feels very much like a mid series book but it is't. The inconsistency of Kaye's background doens't help.

Kaye is a modern teenager living with a single mum - singer - experincing many of the lows that such a changeable life can bring. but she's always had her faery friends to concole her. Even if no-one else really believe in them - apart form maybe some undetailed references to her primary school friends. After an arggument at a party she finds herself walking back thorugh the rainy woods and stumbles across a bleeding stranger. She shoudl know better than to invovle herself, but she does anyway and sicoversthe darker side of some of her faery friends. And maybe the truth about herself and her family.

It's the inconsistency of the faery rules that grates most I think - food and time in faery land being especially problematic, but the vagracies of whether or not and to what degree iron has an effect seems contrived for each scene rather than being throught through as the details of the world. Kaye is particularly either effected or not almost at random. Kaye is never really belivable a s acharacter and even less so after the grand revelation which seems to come as no shock to her depsite a previous unbelivable obliviousness to it. The two attitudes don't mesh very well. Brief excerts into other characters viewpoints don't help. It's also very prudishly YA with no-one getting more than a kiss despite hte well know proclivities of the unseelie court that seems to exercise all the others.

I believe this may be the author's debuet novel so a certain amount of forgivness in clunky writing may be in order - the world is interesting enough, but I'm unlikely to continue reading the rest of the series. ( )
  reading_fox | Apr 19, 2014 |
Yes, this was one of my favorite books that I read in 2003. ( )
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
Faeries, faeries, faeries! I love reading about them. I thoroughly enjoyed Holly Black's fae. They were dark and mysterious revealing more and more of who they were and their motivations as the plot progressed. There was a thin line between dark and light that was constantly blurred and there was ever a sinister otherworldly feel to both the Seelie and Unseelie courts. I hope that in the next books I learn even more about the Solitary fae, the glimpse I got of them in Tithe was fascinating.

The heroine, Kaye, is a quirky and sometimes eccentric teen. She portrays such a tough girl image, but her actions also show that she has some baggage from the unusual lifestyle she's lead. Tithe left me with many unanswered questions about Kaye but not in a way that left me frustrated with the story. I feel like Kaye is a heroine that I'm going to enjoy watching grow from book to book in this series. As she comes to understand more about herself and who she really is, I think that she will only become stronger and more confident. I'm not sold on the romance yet, but I'm sure that will come.

Another stand out character for me was Corny. While I loathe his character name, he was probably the most intriguing character to read. He has many issues, and a tendency toward violence, yet the kind of loyalty only those with a sensitive heart can possess. I enjoy the way he and Kaye interract and hope that their friendship continues throughout the series.

I was lost in this dark and gritty, sometimes even savage world. Somehow this author managed to combine the darker elements of faerie magic and stark reality to create something unique and incredible. I don't know why I waited so long to read Tithe, but I know I won't put off picking up Valiant. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Kaye, the child of a punk-rock chick that had to grow up too fast, finds herself back in her childhood hometown and discovers that the "imaginary" faery friends of her youth are very much real. Kaye is suddenly thrown into a struggle between two faery factions and is inexplicably drawn to the dangerous faery knight Roiben. While "Tithe" is interesting and gritty, I had to force myself to keep reading it as the beginning was heavy with obscure faery lore that was never really explained well. By the end of the book, I'd caught on enough to understand what was going on, but it still left me feeling vaguely unsatisfied. Even the love connection between Kaye and Roiben felt off, somehow. I'm not sure if I'll be continuing the series. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 18, 2014 |
A very pretty book, the character development doesn't go much of anywhere.
Reading it was sort of like staring, enthralled, at a stain glass window. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And pleasant is the faerie land
But an eerie tale to tell,
Ay at the end of seven years
We pay a tithe to Hell;
I am sae fair and fu o flesh,
I'm feard it be mysel.
— YOUNG TAM LIN
And malt does note than Milton can
To justify God's Ways to man.

— A. E. HOUSEMAN,
"Terence, This is Stupid Stuff"
Coercive as coma, frail as bloom
innuendoes of your inverse dawn
suffuse the self;
our every corpuscle becomes an elf.

— MINA LOY, "Moreover, the Moon,"
The Lost Lunar Baedeker
The stones were sharp,
The wind came at my back;
Walking along the highway,
Mincing like a cat.
— THEODORE ROETHKE, "Praise to the End!"
A cigarette is the perfect type of perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?"
— OSCAR WILDE, The Picture of Dorian Gray
For my little sister Heidi
Prologue: Kaye took another drag on her cigarette and dropped it into her mother's beer bottle.
Ch. 1: Kaye spun down the worn, gray planks of the boardwalk. The air was heavy and stank of drying mussels and the crust of salt on the jetties.
She knew what her grandmother was going to say when she got back, stinking of liquor with a torn shirt. True things.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689867042, Paperback)

Sixteen-year-old Kaye Fierch is not human, but she doesn't know it. Sure, she knows she's interacted with faeries since she was little--but she never imagined she was one of them, her blond Asian human appearance only a magically crafted cover-up for her true, green-skinned pixie self. First-time author Holly Black explores Kaye's self-discovery and dual worlds in her riveting, suspenseful novel Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale. The book has its faults: it slips into shock-value mode; the descriptions are often overwritten (sunset on the water looks like the sun slit his wrists in a bathtub); the language is overly, unnecessarily explicit; and the writing often unpolished. Still, the story's pull is undeniable, and readers under its spell will be hard-pressed to put the book down.

The novel begins in a bar in Philly, where Kaye's alcoholic rock-singer mother's boyfriend tries to kill her. For their own safety, mother and daughter quickly move back to grandma's on the New Jersey shore where Kaye grew up. This ugly turn of events was all rigged by the Faerie world, as it turns out, a world Black describes in deliciously vivid, if rather overblown, detail. Kaye, a drinking, smoking, foul-mouthed high school dropout in the land of mortals, soon finds herself embroiled--as a human sacrifice, no less--in a battle between Faerieland's Seelie and more malevolent Unseelie courts. The beautiful, mysterious knight Roiben, torn between worlds himself, falls in love with Kaye--the brave, clever changeling--against his better judgment. Throughout the electrifying journey to the horrific underworld of this modern faerie fantasy, teen readers will relate to a hard-luck tough girl who feels alienated, discovers her best qualities in the worst of circumstances, and finally finds a place between worlds where she can feel at home. (Ages 13 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:05 -0400)

After returning home from a tour with her mother's rock band, sixteen-year-old Kaye, who has been visited by faeries since childhood, discovers that she herself is a magical faerie creature with a special destiny.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,231,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible