Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black

Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale (edition 2004)

by Holly Black

Collections:House, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tithe by Holly Black

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (allisongryski, fayeflame)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (runningondreams)
    runningondreams: Both "Tithe" and "Fire and Hemlock" are modernized and somewhat modified forms of the Ballad of Tam Lin, and concern the dangerous and fantastic mixing of the mortal and faerie realms. If you enjoy both of these books I would also recommend "The Perilous Guard" by Elizabeth Marie Pope- the first I read of this story's re-tellings.… (more)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (allisongryski)
    Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Sometimes dark, sometimes magical, sometimes funny.
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (TheBooknerd)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (Jannes)
    Jannes: Goblins and gouls in suburban america. The Crumrin books and Tithe share a view on adolescence that is slightly grittier than the norm as well as an obvious fascination with folklore and myth.
    The Various by Steve Augarde (JenMillar)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (kittycatpurr)
    Wings by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A fantastical collection of three short stories, all of which mix romance and magic and our world in chilling, wonderful, engaging ways.
    Spells by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Foiled by Jane Yolen (fyrefly98)
    Grimms Grimmest by Grimm/dockray (wosret)
    The War Of The Flowers by Tad Williams (Jannes)
    Jannes: Both novels does the "modern faerie" thing, but in very different ways. Both manages a genuine sense of awe and magic, which is rare enough in fantasy today, so they're well worth checking out.
    Lament by Maggie Stiefvater (inblackink)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent urban fantasy with a creepy and fantastic faerie world, a kick-ass heroine, and a building romance.
    The Hunter's Moon by O. R. Melling (madmarch)

English (168)  Spanish (1)  All languages (169)
I can never resist the bad boys! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Tithe was certainly not your typical sweet YA. It was more realistic with an edgier and darker tone. I really liked that, it was certainly a refreshing read. These teens were foul mouthed, chain smokers, with real life problems who just happen to be living in the midst of a world with dangerous Faeries.

I've always like the undisneyfied lore of faeries, these tricksters aren't going to help you make a dress unless it's your sacrificial gown. Really appreciated how the author went for it with how not right the Fae can be.

Strong heroine who seems unfocused at first but as the story unravels you start to see the reasons for Kaye's actions and behaviors in a different light; or maybe they have more to do with Kaye's mother's laid-back parenting style.

Add some very flawed characters, intense adventures and just creepy faeries and you get an incredible story. I really liked this one and it will be among my favorite faerie story to recommend to others. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
Sixteen-year-old Kaye, who has been visited by faeries since childhood, discovers that she herself is a magical faerie creature with special destiny.

I begin Tithe yesterday, I decided to read it because I'm re-reading The Mortal Instruments series... again! Because I love The Mortal Instruments a lot, so if Cassandra Clare loves A Modern Faerie Tale Series enough to include it in her books, I need to read it.

Honestly, I decided to read this book with a very open mind and excitement, but now I'm not sure if I will continue or not. The cussing, the dirtiness (literally, no one showers!) and the characters themselves are very unattractive to me! All of that and I only reached chapter 5!

Finally I finished this book!!! Truly, 15 chapters of disgusting scenes and characters!! I disliked this book a lot, it made me question this author!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Love it! Still not sure why some things happened, but overall a good book. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
I briefly met Holly Black at a signing some time ago, and I could just tell she was cool. Finally got around to reading a couple of her books. I was afraid they wouldn't live up to my expectations, but - yeah, they're cool!

They're definitely YA - I think I would have enjoyed them even more if I were younger. Because there's a certain age at which it's really difficult to find books that reflect your reality while still being magical. For a pretty big chunk of us, 'Bordertown' was it. Now, there's a lot more out there, I think.

In 'Tithe,' 16-yr old Kaye is just discovering, with ambivalence, the power of her own sexuality... like most girls around that age. Unlike most girls, she also discovers that she's a changeling. Not even the knight of the unseelie court whom she rescues one dark and rainy night realized that she isn't human, but her 'imaginary' friends from her childhood have plans for her that involve danger and sacrifice....

At times, the story gets a little bit silly. But at other times, it achieves real magic. I like books that aren't afraid to portray parents as flawed human beings who aren't always right, and that realize that kids that aren't goody-goodies can still be good people.
The author does a great job of portraying the moral ambiguity of both courts of the Fey - and Kaye's knight, Roiben, is Damn Sexy Hot! (no explicit action, though... sigh.) ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spalenka, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And pleasant is the faerie land
But an eerie tale to tell,
Ay at the end of seven years
We pay a tithe to Hell;
I am sae fair and fu o flesh,
I'm feard it be mysel.
— YOUNG TAM LIN
And malt does note than Milton can
To justify God's Ways to man.

— A. E. HOUSEMAN,
"Terence, This is Stupid Stuff"
Coercive as coma, frail as bloom
innuendoes of your inverse dawn
suffuse the self;
our every corpuscle becomes an elf.

— MINA LOY, "Moreover, the Moon,"
The Lost Lunar Baedeker
The stones were sharp,
The wind came at my back;
Walking along the highway,
Mincing like a cat.
— THEODORE ROETHKE, "Praise to the End!"
A cigarette is the perfect type of perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?"
— OSCAR WILDE, The Picture of Dorian Gray
For my little sister Heidi
Prologue: Kaye took another drag on her cigarette and dropped it into her mother's beer bottle.
Ch. 1: Kaye spun down the worn, gray planks of the boardwalk. The air was heavy and stank of drying mussels and the crust of salt on the jetties.
She knew what her grandmother was going to say when she got back, stinking of liquor with a torn shirt. True things.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689867042, Paperback)

Sixteen-year-old Kaye Fierch is not human, but she doesn't know it. Sure, she knows she's interacted with faeries since she was little--but she never imagined she was one of them, her blond Asian human appearance only a magically crafted cover-up for her true, green-skinned pixie self. First-time author Holly Black explores Kaye's self-discovery and dual worlds in her riveting, suspenseful novel Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale. The book has its faults: it slips into shock-value mode; the descriptions are often overwritten (sunset on the water looks like the sun slit his wrists in a bathtub); the language is overly, unnecessarily explicit; and the writing often unpolished. Still, the story's pull is undeniable, and readers under its spell will be hard-pressed to put the book down.

The novel begins in a bar in Philly, where Kaye's alcoholic rock-singer mother's boyfriend tries to kill her. For their own safety, mother and daughter quickly move back to grandma's on the New Jersey shore where Kaye grew up. This ugly turn of events was all rigged by the Faerie world, as it turns out, a world Black describes in deliciously vivid, if rather overblown, detail. Kaye, a drinking, smoking, foul-mouthed high school dropout in the land of mortals, soon finds herself embroiled--as a human sacrifice, no less--in a battle between Faerieland's Seelie and more malevolent Unseelie courts. The beautiful, mysterious knight Roiben, torn between worlds himself, falls in love with Kaye--the brave, clever changeling--against his better judgment. Throughout the electrifying journey to the horrific underworld of this modern faerie fantasy, teen readers will relate to a hard-luck tough girl who feels alienated, discovers her best qualities in the worst of circumstances, and finally finds a place between worlds where she can feel at home. (Ages 13 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:13 -0400)

After returning home from a tour with her mother's rock band, sixteen-year-old Kaye, who has been visited by faeries since childhood, discovers that she herself is a magical faerie creature with a special destiny.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,100,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible