Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black

Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale (edition 2004)

by Holly Black

Collections:House, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Tithe by Holly Black

Recently added bychessakat, private library, JPSalter, tianicolle, kainicoleboss, AniNewWorld91, Greymowser
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (allisongryski, fayeflame)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret)
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (runningondreams)
    runningondreams: Both "Tithe" and "Fire and Hemlock" are modernized and somewhat modified forms of the Ballad of Tam Lin, and concern the dangerous and fantastic mixing of the mortal and faerie realms. If you enjoy both of these books I would also recommend "The Perilous Guard" by Elizabeth Marie Pope- the first I read of this story's re-tellings.… (more)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The blue girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (allisongryski)
    Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Sometimes dark, sometimes magical, sometimes funny.
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (TheBooknerd)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (Jannes)
    Jannes: Goblins and gouls in suburban america. The Crumrin books and Tithe share a view on adolescence that is slightly grittier than the norm as well as an obvious fascination with folklore and myth.
    The Various by Steve Augarde (JenMillar)
    The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue (kittycatpurr)
    Wings by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A fantastical collection of three short stories, all of which mix romance and magic and our world in chilling, wonderful, engaging ways.
    Spells by Aprilynne Pike (JenMillar)
    Foiled by Jane Yolen (fyrefly98)
    Grimms Grimmest by Grimm/dockray (wosret)
    The War Of The Flowers by Tad Williams (Jannes)
    Jannes: Both novels does the "modern faerie" thing, but in very different ways. Both manages a genuine sense of awe and magic, which is rare enough in fantasy today, so they're well worth checking out.
    Lament by Maggie Stiefvater (inblackink)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An excellent urban fantasy with a creepy and fantastic faerie world, a kick-ass heroine, and a building romance.
    The Hunter's Moon by O. R. Melling (madmarch)

English (166)  Spanish (1)  All languages (167)
Hmmm. I liked this book, probably 3.5 stars worth. The writing reminded me a little of Francesca Lia Block, who I really like.

Kaye is 16 years old and different from her peers in a way she can't pin down - her head's in the clouds, her daydreams sometimes come to life - and she used to communicate with faeries when she was little. Now she's returned to her childhood home and stumbles back upon that world she thought she had lost access to. When she finds out she is a changling and her faerie friends ask her to play a role in the Tithe, she agrees without hesitation.

Part of the reason I didn't rate this higher is that it almost felt like I was dropped into the middle of a series - having her previous communications with 3 faeries referenced over and over again, you still never really get a sense of their history together. And her connection and devotion to them drives some of the plot, so it leaves the reader sort of confused and lacking context about her motivations, which are presumably, emotional ones.

It is dark and magical in an interesting way, but I feel like I want more resolution. There is a sequel of sorts in the series, Ironside, so I'm hoping I find it there. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
What a HUGE disappointment. My grandmother used to say that people who curse have small vocabularies. While I don't agree totally with that statement, I do believe that it is a sophomoric habit. I read 13 grueling pages and encountered a plethora of words that I would not want any young adult in my house to read. It reminds me a lot of a rock band who thinks the use of the f-word in their music is "art". This book may be a beautiful book of fantasy and human relationships, but it's mired in trash. Not worthy of the 100-page rule. Don't even bother with this one. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Kaye is a rebelious teen who has always seen fairies. When she moves back to her grandmother's house in NJ strange things begin to happen again and she once again begins to interact with a number of fairies. Soon she finds herself in the middle of a battle between two factions of fairy. I thought the book was OK, it had a lot of potential and I expected more from it. It felt like the author scratched the surface of the story but did not go as deep as I wanted. The story felt more of an outline to me than a fully fleshed out novel. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
LOVED it. Gina & Rose both wrote excellent reviews, so check out theirs! ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And pleasant is the faerie land
But an eerie tale to tell,
Ay at the end of seven years
We pay a tithe to Hell;
I am sae fair and fu o flesh,
I'm feard it be mysel.
— YOUNG TAM LIN
And malt does note than Milton can
To justify God's Ways to man.

— A. E. HOUSEMAN,
"Terence, This is Stupid Stuff"
Coercive as coma, frail as bloom
innuendoes of your inverse dawn
suffuse the self;
our every corpuscle becomes an elf.

— MINA LOY, "Moreover, the Moon,"
The Lost Lunar Baedeker
The stones were sharp,
The wind came at my back;
Walking along the highway,
Mincing like a cat.
— THEODORE ROETHKE, "Praise to the End!"
A cigarette is the perfect type of perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?"
— OSCAR WILDE, The Picture of Dorian Gray
For my little sister Heidi
Prologue: Kaye took another drag on her cigarette and dropped it into her mother's beer bottle.
Ch. 1: Kaye spun down the worn, gray planks of the boardwalk. The air was heavy and stank of drying mussels and the crust of salt on the jetties.
She knew what her grandmother was going to say when she got back, stinking of liquor with a torn shirt. True things.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689867042, Paperback)

Sixteen-year-old Kaye Fierch is not human, but she doesn't know it. Sure, she knows she's interacted with faeries since she was little--but she never imagined she was one of them, her blond Asian human appearance only a magically crafted cover-up for her true, green-skinned pixie self. First-time author Holly Black explores Kaye's self-discovery and dual worlds in her riveting, suspenseful novel Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale. The book has its faults: it slips into shock-value mode; the descriptions are often overwritten (sunset on the water looks like the sun slit his wrists in a bathtub); the language is overly, unnecessarily explicit; and the writing often unpolished. Still, the story's pull is undeniable, and readers under its spell will be hard-pressed to put the book down.

The novel begins in a bar in Philly, where Kaye's alcoholic rock-singer mother's boyfriend tries to kill her. For their own safety, mother and daughter quickly move back to grandma's on the New Jersey shore where Kaye grew up. This ugly turn of events was all rigged by the Faerie world, as it turns out, a world Black describes in deliciously vivid, if rather overblown, detail. Kaye, a drinking, smoking, foul-mouthed high school dropout in the land of mortals, soon finds herself embroiled--as a human sacrifice, no less--in a battle between Faerieland's Seelie and more malevolent Unseelie courts. The beautiful, mysterious knight Roiben, torn between worlds himself, falls in love with Kaye--the brave, clever changeling--against his better judgment. Throughout the electrifying journey to the horrific underworld of this modern faerie fantasy, teen readers will relate to a hard-luck tough girl who feels alienated, discovers her best qualities in the worst of circumstances, and finally finds a place between worlds where she can feel at home. (Ages 13 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:13 -0400)

After returning home from a tour with her mother's rock band, sixteen-year-old Kaye, who has been visited by faeries since childhood, discovers that she herself is a magical faerie creature with a special destiny.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,053,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible