Hounded to Death by Rita Mae Brown

This is the only Mrs. Murphy book I hated. Well, I 'read' audio books and this one was narrated by the author. If she had read the phone book, she could not be more boring. One would think the author would have a feel for the characters. NOT!
  gosherry | Oct 19, 2012 |
Number 7 in the "Sister" Jane Arnold Series.
  OSLCTopeka | Oct 14, 2010 |
After a hound show at a hunting club, a man, naturally hated and who mistreats animals, is murdered. Later, a woman turns up as an apparent suicide, and another body surfaces.

I found the book a little difficult to get into, it is book seven in the "Sister" Jane Arnold series, and perhaps earlier books would help understand the characters.

Much of the book is in dialog form. I found the dialog natural and well written, and the people were well formed. There seemed to be too little investigation, I didn't feel there was adequate information for a reader to actually figure it out.

One thing that did bother me was that the animals talked. Not to humans, or at least the humans didn't understand them. I tried to interpret it as what humans interpret from their pets, but it did go beyond that. The hounds revealed the smell of the killer. It felt like something I shouldn't have known, but it didn't come into the solution.

The solution seemed to appear out of the blue in the late pages of the book. This just isn't my style of book. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Jul 23, 2010 |
Brown, Rita Mae, Hounded to Death, "Sister" Jane Arnold, matriarch, school sponsor,hunt club master - basically does nothing to investigate or solve 2 murders - a hated club member who steals other people's dogs, and a beloved horse vet - more than you ever wanted to know about hunting - amusing 'voices' from the animals ( )
  caro488 | Jun 9, 2010 |
A great, fast read and I didn't figure out whodunit until I was told near the end of the book. I couldn't put it down and literally read it in less than 6 hours. I loved the line drawings that they put in the book as well. It really added to the story. ( )
  koalamom | Oct 9, 2008 |

From New York Times bestselling author Rita Mae Brown comes the latest novel in her enthralling series of foxhunting mysteries. Richly imagined and utterly engaging, Hounded to Death reveals the cutthroat world of competitive hound shows as both humans and animals alike try to solve a series of bizarre deaths.

“Sister” Jane Arnold, esteemed master of the Jefferson Hunt Club, has traveled to Kentucky for one of the biggest events of the season: the Mid-South Hound Show, where foxhounds, bassets, and beagles gather to strut their champion bloodline stuff. But the fun is squelched when, immediately after the competition, one of the contestants, Mo Schneider, turns up dead–facedown, stripped to the waist, and peppered with birdshot. Universally detested by his peers, Mo had no shortage of enemies, making the list of suspects as long as the line for homemade pecan pie at a church bake sale.

Two weeks later, back in Virginia, Sister is rocked when her friend the popular veterinarian Hope Rogers dies from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Sister refuses to believe that Hope killed herself and vows to sniff out the truth. But before she can make real headway, a wealthy pet food manufacturer vanishes during the granddaddy of all canine exhibitions, the Virginia Hound Show.

Ever reliant on her “horse sense,” Sister can’t help but connect the three incidents. And what she uncovers will make her blood run colder than the bodies that keep turning up in unexpected places.

Thrilling adventures with horses and hounds, breathtaking vistas, furry friends, familiar faces–including Shaker Crown and the girls from Custis Hall–Rita Mae Brown weaves all these elements into a dazzling novel of suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:46 -0400)

"Sister" Jane Arnold, esteemed master of the Jefferson Hunt Club, has traveled to Kentucky for one of the biggest events of the season: the Mid-South Hound Show, where foxhounds, bassets, and beagles gather to strut their champion bloodline stuff. But the fun is squelched when, immediately after the competition, one of the contestants, Mo Schneider, turns up dead-facedown, stripped to the waist, and peppered with birdshot. Two weeks later, back in Virginia, Sister is rocked when her friend the popular veterinarian Hope Rogers dies from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Sister refuses to believe that Hope killed herself and vows to sniff out the truth.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible