Her Notorious Viscount by Jess Michaels

Her Notorious Viscount

by Jess Michaels

This was a refreshing change of pace.. Just a good ole historical romance. Nicholas left society for London's underground where he felt like he fit in better.. He never felt like he fit in with the rich and all that came with it. He gets news that his twin brother has died and this devastates him. This forces him to return to society to take his brothers place but to many years in the underground has left him no longer knowing how to act acceptable. Jane was once part of the in crowd within society but with the death of her parents and her brother missing and then declared dead by her cousin she had to become a lady’s companion to Lady Ridgefield. Jane refuses to believe her brother is dead. As she see that Nicholas isnt fitting in she comes up with a plan. She will tutor him on how to act like a gentleman again if he will use is underground contacts to try and locate her brother.. There is alot of humor through the book and the sexual tension between Nicolas and Jane even though they both fight it is very hot. The side characters of Nicholas best friend Ronan “Rage” Riley and his widowed sister in law Lucinda were interesting and it was as I was reading this I found out the author wrote a ebook about there story which I now cant wait to read. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
I was in the mood for a light historical and this fit the bill. This is the first book I've read by Jenna Petersen.

I really enjoyed the characters. It was interesting to me that Nicholas was such a contrast. With Jane he was so sweet and tender I had to remind myself he wasn't always like that.

Jane I enjoyed for most of the novel, but her actions toward the end marred her somewhat IMO. She let hate and rage fuel herself for so long, I expected to see some kind of character growth by the end. Unfortunately it didn't come..not to my satisfaction.

Still, the romance worked, as did the overall story arc, so I can't complain too much. Especially since I stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish it. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
When his brother dies unexpectedly, infamous womanizer and underground fighter Viscount Nicholas Stoneworth is forced to go back to the uppity society life he has been trying to escape from. In order to relearn society manners, he makes a deal with Jane Fenton, once a lady but now a ladies’ companion. She would like his help finding whatever he can about her older brother, who disappeared into the underground many years ago; in return, she will help him become a respectable member of society.

As investigations and “lessons” progress (albeit separately), however, Nicholas and Jane are drawn more and more to each other, driven by an attraction neither one can understand. And yet their paths in society may never cross, not if he really wants to return into society…

HER NOTORIOUS VISCOUNT leans heavily on the two main characters’ chemistry, leaving the plot rather wanting. Once again, we have the relatively plain female character unable to resist the allure of the titled and muscled bad boy, and the man falling for the woman because her no-nonsense dealings with him make her different from all the other women that have thrown themselves at him in the past. Nothing too special, thankfully saved by the likeability of the two, despite clichés.

As I said, the plot is pushed to the wayside for the characters, and while I’m hardly a romance snob, in that I don’t read these things for a scintillating plot (yeah right), the way that Jane’s etiquette lessons for Nicholas were simply passed over was a bit too unrealistic to be believed. I didn’t see any discernible transformation of Nicholas from street-mean to polished society member: Nicholas making a move on Jane almost immediately ended lessons whenever they popped up. As the plot is pretty much the only thing that makes this story stand out from the next historical romance, I have to admit that that was a disappointment. Still, a generously steamy read, and not too bad if you’re not picky. ( )
  stephxsu | Jun 17, 2010 |
Although "Her Notorious Viscount" was just shy of four stars for me, I bumped it up based on my smile at the end :) Jenna Petersen's latest regency romance is about a man and a woman who neither quite fit in; but both manage to find a place for themselves, with each other. A lovely message in today's world.

Stone is really the brand new Viscount Stoneworth, elevated to the title by the death of his beloved twin. Ignored and disparaged by his father, Stone became the antithesis of his brother and disappeared from polite society into London's infamous Underground. Now that he's ascended to the title, he will need to straighten up his act to take his place in the ton and uphold the family name...no matter how little he wishes to do so.

Jane is a lady whose decisions have resulted in her current status as a companion. First she lost her father and then shortly afterward, her missing brother was declared dead. However, Jane refuses to believe that her brother is gone. Instead, she's sure the cousin only declared him dead in order to inherit the family's title and wealth. So instead of allowing him to care for her, or accepting his numerous marriage offers, she hired herself out as a companion and continues her search for news of her brother. When word reaches her of Stone's familiarity with the Underground, where her brother disappeared, she's sure his status as a gentleman will cause him to help her. Instead, she's forced to make a deal with Stone: her assistance in society comportment in return for his assistance in finding word of her brother.

It's not hard to quickly figure out where the plot is headed; but in this case it really is the journey that makes all the difference. Petersen imbues every scene with the smoldering passion between Stone and Jane...it fairly jumps off the page. And her deft handling of the growing relationship and caring between the hero and heroine made it seem perfectly believable. Her secondary characters were amusing and irritating in turn and included at least one whose story I'd like to read! It all comes together in a feel-good, sexy romance that's a quickish read...not a bad way to spend an afternoon, eh? ( )
  jjmachshev | May 20, 2009 |

Blurb: Viscount Nicholas Stoneworth is infamous - even being mentioned in the same breath with him is enough to ruin a lady's reputation. Why, the man's spent years in London's underworld pursuing every sort of vice while parlaying his hard muscled body into fame and fortune as a fighter! With his brother's untimely death, Nicholas must assume the title and relearn the civilized ways of the ton....and proper Jane Fenton is more than willing to teach him everything she knows. Circumstances may have forced Jane into the role of ladies compantion, but she knows the danger of associating with a notorious man like Nicholas, a man who could tempt any woman into certain scandal. But her brother disappeared into the same underworld four long years ago, and if she transforms the libertine into a gentleman, he will use his connections to find him. Still, Jane will not - cannot - lose control. She must ignore the promise of sinful pleasure in his eyes....and her own wild desires desperate to break free.

After the death of his brother Nicholas Stoneworth must leave the life he's made for himself as a fighter in London's underworld to become the new Viscount. Jane agrees to reteach him how to live in the ton, if he will help her find her brother who disappeared four years earlier into the same London underground that Nicholas just left.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible