Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1989), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Reviewed, Amazon
Rating:***1/2
Tags:series: tortall, series: song of the lioness, book 01, genre: fantasy, knights, magic, series, read 2007, strong women, read 2010, read 2012, signed, read 2013

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (1983)

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another fun fantasy with a strong female character who refuses to conform.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (kochanneo)
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (_Zoe_)
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (shadrach_anki, Caramellunacy)
    shadrach_anki: There are definite similarities in theme between these two books, but each has its own take on it.
    Caramellunacy: Both of these stories are fantasy stories about a girl disguising herself as a boy in order to be allowed to apprentice & learn to fight. Alanna learns to wield both sword and magic as a knight & mage. Eon(a) is chosen to be a dragoneye and must learn to wield the political and magical power this brings.… (more)
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (ImmortalAussie)
    ImmortalAussie: A very similar thing to Tamora Pierce but different enough at the same time Still just as fantastic
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (one-horse.library)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Owlnip)
    Owlnip: Similar in terms of the kind of world you get to escape into, with a strong young female protagonist and wonderful cast of characters.
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (Owlnip)
    Flora Segunda by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Konran)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are stories about a headstrong young woman determined to learn to fight like the boys. Nobody's Princess is an imagining of Helen of Troy's life as a teenager (more tenacity and brains, less vapid beauty) steeped in Greek mythology. Alanna is the first in a fantasy series about a young woman who disguises herself as a boy so that she can be trained as a knight. Both are great girl power reads.… (more)
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (Owlnip)
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (_Zoe_)
    The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two girls deal with society's expectations as they learn swordplay and harsh political realities.
    Defy by Sara B. Larson (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Strong female character disguised as a boy.
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A young woman warrior protagonist, a love triangle with a thief and a noble, dealings with magic- the difference is that Eleret in The Raven Ring comes from a society where women are accepted as warriors (her mother was also one), and Alanna has to hide that she is female.… (more)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (Kerian)
    The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted (infiniteletters)
    Dagger's Point by Anne Logston (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Another great female lead with some good humor, action, and a touch of romance.

English (114)  Danish (1)  All languages (115)
This book has been a favorite of mine since I first picked it up over 10 years ago. It is one of the reasons I love reading so much. I recommend it to those who like strong female characters, girls disguised as boys, adventure, fantasy, and/or knights. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jun 18, 2014 |
RGG: Amazing, entrancing main character and supporting characters. While this first novel seems more of an exposition than a rich plot-driven novel and despite the feminist Alanna having to pretend to be a boy, this is a captivating series. Reading Level: 10-14.
  rgruberexcel | Mar 21, 2014 |
A very good book ( )
1 vote Librabookworm | Feb 24, 2014 |
page-turning adventure with truly strong young female heroine. Romance is uplifting and respectful. Story is gripping and realistic. Great read and the first of four, so the adventure can just go on and on. ( )
  shanxholt | Dec 21, 2013 |
Originally posted at Read. Run. Study.

I picked Alanna up, because I had heard good things about the story. Unfortunately, it didn’t live up to my expectations. I liked the story and cared about some of the characters (Alanna, Jon, and George), but I didn’t love it. While a few parts grabbed me, it was underwhelming as a whole.

Alanna is a fairly typical middle-grade/young-adult protagonist – she is a tough little tomboy with a bit of stubborn streak. Alanna has a desire to follow her dream and fight her own battles, but she also knows when to turn to her friends and mentors. However, I felt like the relationships she had with some of the characters seemed weird given their ages. Alanna is only 11 years old at the beginning of the story, but all of the friends she makes are much older than she is (Jon and George are 4 and 7 years older, respectively). It was difficult to believe and didn’t feel right. Also, I may have read into things too much, but Pierce seemed to be laying the foundations of a future romance that made me squirm a little.

Having said all that, I think I would have liked it a lot more if I had read it as a kid. It was a short, easy read that could be a good introduction to the fantasy genre for a young girl. I’ll probably give this to my niece and nephew to see what they think and I’ll pick up the next installment if I see it, but I’m not desperate for it. ( )
1 vote readrunstudy | Sep 28, 2013 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To CLAIRE,
who made it all finally happen,
and
To FRANCES,
who told me to talk to Claire
"That is my decision."
"Our gods are much too busy in our lives for us to ignore them." -- Myles of Olau, p.143

A young woman disguises herself as a boy in order to be trained as a knight.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689878559, Mass Market Paperback)

Call it fate, call it intuition, or just call it common sense, but somehow young Alanna knows she isn't meant to become some proper lady cloistered in a convent. Instead, she wants to be a great warrior maiden--a female knight. But in the land of Tortall, women aren't allowed to train as warriors. So Alanna finds a way to switch places with her twin, Thom, and take his place as a knight in training at the palace of King Roald. Disguising herself as a boy, Alanna begins her training as a page in the royal court. Soon, she is garnering the admiration of all around her, including the crown prince, with her strong work ethic and her thirst for knowledge. But all the while, she is haunted by the recurring vision of a black stone city that emanates evil... somehow she knows it is her fate to purge that place of its wickedness. But how will she find it? And can she fulfill her destiny while keeping her gender a secret?

With Alanna: The First Adventure, veteran fantasy author Tamora Pierce has created a lively, engaging heroine who will charm middle-school readers with her tomboyish bravado and have them eagerly searching for the next book in the Song of the Lioness series. Like Brian Jacques's tales of Redwall, this popular quartet is an entertaining fantasy series for younger teens. (Ages 10 to 13) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:14 -0400)

Fantasy. De 10-?arige tvillinger Alanna og Thom er b?rn af en lensherre i landet Tortall. De har magiske evner og hvirvles ind i dramatiske begivenheder, da de trodser deres traditionsbestemte opdragelse.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,544,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible