Alanna - Die schwarze Stadt by Tamora Pierce
Member:Zurpel
Title:Alanna - Die schwarze Stadt
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Other authors:Gabriele Blum (Narrator)
Info:Audiolino (2006), Audio CD, 4 pages
Collections:Your library, Read (all), Audiobooks
Tags:abridged, audiobook, fantasy, ed-german, high-fantasy, owned, read-2007, young-adult, listened, double-editions, oldies

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (1983)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another fun fantasy with a strong female character who refuses to conform.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (kochanneo)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (_Zoe_)
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (ImmortalAussie)
    ImmortalAussie: A very similar thing to Tamora Pierce but different enough at the same time Still just as fantastic
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (shadrach_anki, Caramellunacy)
    shadrach_anki: There are definite similarities in theme between these two books, but each has its own take on it.
    Caramellunacy: Both of these stories are fantasy stories about a girl disguising herself as a boy in order to be allowed to apprentice & learn to fight. Alanna learns to wield both sword and magic as a knight & mage. Eon(a) is chosen to be a dragoneye and must learn to wield the political and magical power this brings.… (more)
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (TomWaitsTables)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (Owlnip)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Owlnip)
    Owlnip: Similar in terms of the kind of world you get to escape into, with a strong young female protagonist and wonderful cast of characters.
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are stories about a headstrong young woman determined to learn to fight like the boys. Nobody's Princess is an imagining of Helen of Troy's life as a teenager (more tenacity and brains, less vapid beauty) steeped in Greek mythology. Alanna is the first in a fantasy series about a young woman who disguises herself as a boy so that she can be trained as a knight. Both are great girl power reads.… (more)
    Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Konran)
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (Owlnip)
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (_Zoe_)
    The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two girls deal with society's expectations as they learn swordplay and harsh political realities.
    Defy by Sara B. Larson (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: Strong female character disguised as a boy.
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A young woman warrior protagonist, a love triangle with a thief and a noble, dealings with magic- the difference is that Eleret in The Raven Ring comes from a society where women are accepted as warriors (her mother was also one), and Alanna has to hide that she is female.… (more)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Similar adventure-y stuff, and Frostborn has a boy and a girl with equal plot attention.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (Kerian)
    The Realms of the Gods by Tamora Pierce (Morteana)

English (132)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (134)
Quick synopsis: 10-year-old Alanna and her twin Thom are about to be sent away from home, Thom to train as a knight and Alanna to the convent to be trained as a noble lady. The problem is that Thom wants to be a sorcerer (something he could learn at the convent) and Alanna wants to be a Knight more than anything. So, she cuts her hair and becomes Alan and goes off to train as a Knight (Thom goes to the convent). Their dad's oblivious, and they fool everyone else. This book follows Alanna's first 3 years training as a page - the incredible hard work, the friends she makes, and learning about her magical abilities - that she would rather ignore.

I have NO idea why I waited so long to read Tamora Pierce - I mean it seems like a no-brainer: strong female protagonists, cool fantasy settings, lots of books to read....I even saw her speak at an SF con and she was great! I FINALLY requested this - the first book in the first quartet she wrote - from the library and it was so good! Alanna is such a great character, but the supporting characters are also awesome (so important, and often overlooked!).

Alanna is such a strong role model and so true to herself. Love it! ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Twins change places - a classic plot device - and a girl ends up becoming a squire.

I didn't like this book at all. I have no problem with Harry Potter and the like, but felt this book to have an over-emphasis on sorcery. I read it aloud to my sons, who were not keen on it either.

Having said that, it was well-written on the whole ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Good YA book. This book got me really likeing the Mediviel Time Period. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
Good YA book. This book got me really likeing the Mediviel Time Period. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
I first read this book nearly twenty years ago, and having just finished it again, it's great to see that it has stood the test of time. Alanna is certainly no damsel-in-distress. Instead, she is a clever, outspoken and feisty young heroine determined to prove her worth in a warrior's world. I loved the mix of fantasy and adventure, but what I found most refreshing was the absence of any romance. I think I will now revisit the rest of the series. A terrific read for young teens looking for a strong, female protagonist. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pierce, Tamoramain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pierce, Tamoramain authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To CLAIRE,
who made it all finally happen,
and
To FRANCES,
who told me to talk to Claire
"That is my decision."
"Our gods are much too busy in our lives for us to ignore them." -- Myles of Olau, p.143

A young woman disguises herself as a boy in order to be trained as a knight.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689878559, Mass Market Paperback)

Call it fate, call it intuition, or just call it common sense, but somehow young Alanna knows she isn't meant to become some proper lady cloistered in a convent. Instead, she wants to be a great warrior maiden--a female knight. But in the land of Tortall, women aren't allowed to train as warriors. So Alanna finds a way to switch places with her twin, Thom, and take his place as a knight in training at the palace of King Roald. Disguising herself as a boy, Alanna begins her training as a page in the royal court. Soon, she is garnering the admiration of all around her, including the crown prince, with her strong work ethic and her thirst for knowledge. But all the while, she is haunted by the recurring vision of a black stone city that emanates evil... somehow she knows it is her fate to purge that place of its wickedness. But how will she find it? And can she fulfill her destiny while keeping her gender a secret?

With Alanna: The First Adventure, veteran fantasy author Tamora Pierce has created a lively, engaging heroine who will charm middle-school readers with her tomboyish bravado and have them eagerly searching for the next book in the Song of the Lioness series. Like Brian Jacques's tales of Redwall, this popular quartet is an entertaining fantasy series for younger teens. (Ages 10 to 13) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:33 -0400)

Fantasy. De 10-?arige tvillinger Alanna og Thom er b?rn af en lensherre i landet Tortall. De har magiske evner og hvirvles ind i dramatiske begivenheder, da de trodser deres traditionsbestemte opdragelse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,016,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible