Alanna - Die schwarze Stadt by Tamora Pierce
Title:Alanna - Die schwarze Stadt
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Other authors:Gabriele Blum (Narrator)
Info:Audiolino (2006), Audio CD, 4 pages
Collections:Your library, Read (all), Audiobooks
Tags:abridged, audiobook, fantasy, ed-german, high-fantasy, owned, read-2007, young-adult, listened, double-editions, oldies

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (1983)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another fun fantasy with a strong female character who refuses to conform.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (kochanneo)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (_Zoe_)
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (ImmortalAussie)
    ImmortalAussie: A very similar thing to Tamora Pierce but different enough at the same time Still just as fantastic
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (shadrach_anki, Caramellunacy)
    shadrach_anki: There are definite similarities in theme between these two books, but each has its own take on it.
    Caramellunacy: Both of these stories are fantasy stories about a girl disguising herself as a boy in order to be allowed to apprentice & learn to fight. Alanna learns to wield both sword and magic as a knight & mage. Eon(a) is chosen to be a dragoneye and must learn to wield the political and magical power this brings.… (more)
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (TomWaitsTables)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (Owlnip)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Owlnip)
    Owlnip: Similar in terms of the kind of world you get to escape into, with a strong young female protagonist and wonderful cast of characters.
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are stories about a headstrong young woman determined to learn to fight like the boys. Nobody's Princess is an imagining of Helen of Troy's life as a teenager (more tenacity and brains, less vapid beauty) steeped in Greek mythology. Alanna is the first in a fantasy series about a young woman who disguises herself as a boy so that she can be trained as a knight. Both are great girl power reads.… (more)
    Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Konran)
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (_Zoe_)
    The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two girls deal with society's expectations as they learn swordplay and harsh political realities.
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (Owlnip)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A young woman warrior protagonist, a love triangle with a thief and a noble, dealings with magic- the difference is that Eleret in The Raven Ring comes from a society where women are accepted as warriors (her mother was also one), and Alanna has to hide that she is female.… (more)
    Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen (FFortuna)
    The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted (infiniteletters)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (Kerian)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Similar adventure-y stuff, and Frostborn has a boy and a girl with equal plot attention.

English (124)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (126)
I read this series growing up and loved it to pieces. Of course I started with the Immortals series first, but I quickly followed up with Alanna. I credit these books with inspiring my love to read and my eventual desire to want to write. I read it again as an adult woman and part of me still loved it for how much I loved it as a tween/teen. Of course I am slightly well read now and I saw some transparencies of character, some plot devices that weren't so subtle but on the whole I believe that it is what it should be. It was interesting to see how different characters appealed to me differently on this read through.
I remember picking up Wild Magic (The Immortals, Book 1) when I was in middle school because it had horses on the cover and the back of the book was intriguing. I loved that series and read it voraciously, heading back to Barnes and Noble in that same week to pick up The Song of the Lioness Quartet. Reading this series helped me make a very good friend when I switched schools, helped me to love to read, and though its probably cliche to say, it changed my life. If I trace the events in my life back to their roots; 10th grade honors English, 11th and 12th grade AP English, my glasses and frustrations after my accident, my college choice of English as a major, my work in the writing center, my publishing aspirations, and my good friend in college, it all comes back to these books. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
This was my favorite book growing up as a kid, and I still find enjoyment from it today. I remember when I first checked it out from the library, I had to go back the same day to get the rest of them. I love this series of books, and I hope anyone who reads them does as well! ( )
  Melodym1995 | Aug 7, 2015 |

Description: "From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight."

And so young Alanna of Trebond begins the journey to knighthood. Though a girl, Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places: Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent to learn magic; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin her training as a page.

But the road to knighthood is not an easy one. As Alanna masters the skills necessary for battle, she must also learn to control her heart and to discern her enemies from her allies.

Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's first adventure begins -- one that will leard to the fulfillment of her dreams and the magical destiny that will make her a legend in her land.

Thoughts: I read some of the Circle of Magic books many years ago but they didn't make a huge impression at the time and I haven't really felt all that inclined to pick up other books by Pierce. For some reason, there seems to be a lot of talk about her series cropping up in random places so I decided to just take a peek. I figured it be easier to start a new series than revisit the one I'd already read, so into Tortall we go.

I do see some of what the fuss is over Pierce but this book is far from perfect and won't be an instant favorite of mine. It has some great ideas and characters with an interesting world, but it is very brisk. There isn't much time allowed for anything, much less character and plot development. Pierce basically gives a really nice introduction to something and then expects us to take it at that, which pretty much means that people and situations are exactly what they seem in the first place. I like my good guys and bad guys with more depth and would like to see more of the unending training and learning the pages are supposedly going through. If it wasn't explicitly stated in the text, you could easily mistake this book for taking place in a manner of weeks instead of the YEARS it supposedly covers. YEARS in an audiobook that is only 5 hours!

It was enough, however, to convince me to try another book and see what happens. It's not a bad story and I do like some of the (albeit a bit one dimensional) characters, but it needs to beef up for sure.

Rating: 3.08

Liked: 3
Plot: 3
Characterization: 3
Writing: 3
Audio: 3.5

http://www.librarything.com/topic/188600#5116327 ( )
  leahbird | Jul 20, 2015 |
Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce is the first of the Song of the Lioness series. Alanna, dissatisfied with the life of a young lady, decides to change her destiny. She takes on the name Alan of Trebond so she can learn how to be a knight.

She and her fraternal twin (how convenient!) trade places. He sneaks off to be a wizard and she goes in his place to be a knight in training. She has to put up with hazing, keeps up with her studies, and push herself physically.

It made a nice distracting read on a long series of BART rides. If I were a tween, I probably would have eaten this book up and jumped into the next of the series. As an adult, though, I'm still contemplating continuing through the series. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 8, 2015 |
Didn't even mind that they spelt my name wrong. ( )
  Stuckey_Bowl | Mar 23, 2015 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
who made it all finally happen,
who told me to talk to Claire
"That is my decision."
"Our gods are much too busy in our lives for us to ignore them." -- Myles of Olau, p.143

A young woman disguises herself as a boy in order to be trained as a knight.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689878559, Mass Market Paperback)

Call it fate, call it intuition, or just call it common sense, but somehow young Alanna knows she isn't meant to become some proper lady cloistered in a convent. Instead, she wants to be a great warrior maiden--a female knight. But in the land of Tortall, women aren't allowed to train as warriors. So Alanna finds a way to switch places with her twin, Thom, and take his place as a knight in training at the palace of King Roald. Disguising herself as a boy, Alanna begins her training as a page in the royal court. Soon, she is garnering the admiration of all around her, including the crown prince, with her strong work ethic and her thirst for knowledge. But all the while, she is haunted by the recurring vision of a black stone city that emanates evil... somehow she knows it is her fate to purge that place of its wickedness. But how will she find it? And can she fulfill her destiny while keeping her gender a secret?

With Alanna: The First Adventure, veteran fantasy author Tamora Pierce has created a lively, engaging heroine who will charm middle-school readers with her tomboyish bravado and have them eagerly searching for the next book in the Song of the Lioness series. Like Brian Jacques's tales of Redwall, this popular quartet is an entertaining fantasy series for younger teens. (Ages 10 to 13) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:33 -0400)

Fantasy. De 10-?arige tvillinger Alanna og Thom er b?rn af en lensherre i landet Tortall. De har magiske evner og hvirvles ind i dramatiske begivenheder, da de trodser deres traditionsbestemte opdragelse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,847,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible