Alanna : The First Adventure by Tamora…
Member:Zurpel
Title:Alanna : The First Adventure
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers, 2003
Collections:Your library, Read (all), Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:1st-in-series, ed-english, fantasy, favorites, high-fantasy, knights, lex-low, oldies, owned, read, young-adult

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (1983)

Recently added byWeaselOfDoom, private library, caittilynn, abinning, Thraxina, TLJ, APSPLibrary, yue
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (francescadefreitas, helgagrace, espertus)
    espertus: Both Graceling and the Lioness quartet are stories of strong but vulnerable young women wanting to use their considerable powers for good and maintain their identity in the face of romance.
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another fun fantasy with a strong female character who refuses to conform.
    First Test by Tamora Pierce (kochanneo)
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (_Zoe_)
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (ImmortalAussie)
    ImmortalAussie: A very similar thing to Tamora Pierce but different enough at the same time Still just as fantastic
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (shadrach_anki, Caramellunacy)
    shadrach_anki: There are definite similarities in theme between these two books, but each has its own take on it.
    Caramellunacy: Both of these stories are fantasy stories about a girl disguising herself as a boy in order to be allowed to apprentice & learn to fight. Alanna learns to wield both sword and magic as a knight & mage. Eon(a) is chosen to be a dragoneye and must learn to wield the political and magical power this brings.… (more)
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (TomWaitsTables)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (Owlnip)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (Owlnip)
    Owlnip: Similar in terms of the kind of world you get to escape into, with a strong young female protagonist and wonderful cast of characters.
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are stories about a headstrong young woman determined to learn to fight like the boys. Nobody's Princess is an imagining of Helen of Troy's life as a teenager (more tenacity and brains, less vapid beauty) steeped in Greek mythology. Alanna is the first in a fantasy series about a young woman who disguises herself as a boy so that she can be trained as a knight. Both are great girl power reads.… (more)
    Flora Segunda by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Konran)
    Bloody Jack; Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (_Zoe_)
    The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two girls deal with society's expectations as they learn swordplay and harsh political realities.
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (Owlnip)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A young woman warrior protagonist, a love triangle with a thief and a noble, dealings with magic- the difference is that Eleret in The Raven Ring comes from a society where women are accepted as warriors (her mother was also one), and Alanna has to hide that she is female.… (more)
    Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen (FFortuna)
    The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted (infiniteletters)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (Kerian)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Similar adventure-y stuff, and Frostborn has a boy and a girl with equal plot attention.

English (124)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (126)
This was my favorite book growing up as a kid, and I still find enjoyment from it today. I remember when I first checked it out from the library, I had to go back the same day to get the rest of them. I love this series of books, and I hope anyone who reads them does as well! ( )
  Melodym1995 | Aug 7, 2015 |

Description: "From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight."

And so young Alanna of Trebond begins the journey to knighthood. Though a girl, Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places: Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent to learn magic; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin her training as a page.

But the road to knighthood is not an easy one. As Alanna masters the skills necessary for battle, she must also learn to control her heart and to discern her enemies from her allies.

Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's first adventure begins -- one that will leard to the fulfillment of her dreams and the magical destiny that will make her a legend in her land.

Thoughts: I read some of the Circle of Magic books many years ago but they didn't make a huge impression at the time and I haven't really felt all that inclined to pick up other books by Pierce. For some reason, there seems to be a lot of talk about her series cropping up in random places so I decided to just take a peek. I figured it be easier to start a new series than revisit the one I'd already read, so into Tortall we go.

I do see some of what the fuss is over Pierce but this book is far from perfect and won't be an instant favorite of mine. It has some great ideas and characters with an interesting world, but it is very brisk. There isn't much time allowed for anything, much less character and plot development. Pierce basically gives a really nice introduction to something and then expects us to take it at that, which pretty much means that people and situations are exactly what they seem in the first place. I like my good guys and bad guys with more depth and would like to see more of the unending training and learning the pages are supposedly going through. If it wasn't explicitly stated in the text, you could easily mistake this book for taking place in a manner of weeks instead of the YEARS it supposedly covers. YEARS in an audiobook that is only 5 hours!

It was enough, however, to convince me to try another book and see what happens. It's not a bad story and I do like some of the (albeit a bit one dimensional) characters, but it needs to beef up for sure.

Rating: 3.08

Liked: 3
Plot: 3
Characterization: 3
Writing: 3
Audio: 3.5

http://www.librarything.com/topic/188600#5116327 ( )
  leahbird | Jul 20, 2015 |
Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce is the first of the Song of the Lioness series. Alanna, dissatisfied with the life of a young lady, decides to change her destiny. She takes on the name Alan of Trebond so she can learn how to be a knight.

She and her fraternal twin (how convenient!) trade places. He sneaks off to be a wizard and she goes in his place to be a knight in training. She has to put up with hazing, keeps up with her studies, and push herself physically.

It made a nice distracting read on a long series of BART rides. If I were a tween, I probably would have eaten this book up and jumped into the next of the series. As an adult, though, I'm still contemplating continuing through the series. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 8, 2015 |
Didn't even mind that they spelt my name wrong. ( )
  Stuckey_Bowl | Mar 23, 2015 |
In this age of Twilight and other vampire love stories, I mostly just wish I could convince the teen girls of our society (and some of the boys) to invest their time into Tamora Pierce. She writes books for teen girls that have strong, capable, independent, powerful female leads. Yes, there is romance in their lives, but never at the cost of sacrificing their own independence and mind.

I could seriously write odes to Tamora Pierce. I recommend, in particular, the Alanna quartet and the Wild Magic quartet. The Wild Magic quartet is dear to me, simply for containing one of my favourite relationship tropes, but both are A in my opinion. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To CLAIRE,
who made it all finally happen,
and
To FRANCES,
who told me to talk to Claire
"That is my decision."
"Our gods are much too busy in our lives for us to ignore them." -- Myles of Olau, p.143

A young woman disguises herself as a boy in order to be trained as a knight.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689878559, Mass Market Paperback)

Call it fate, call it intuition, or just call it common sense, but somehow young Alanna knows she isn't meant to become some proper lady cloistered in a convent. Instead, she wants to be a great warrior maiden--a female knight. But in the land of Tortall, women aren't allowed to train as warriors. So Alanna finds a way to switch places with her twin, Thom, and take his place as a knight in training at the palace of King Roald. Disguising herself as a boy, Alanna begins her training as a page in the royal court. Soon, she is garnering the admiration of all around her, including the crown prince, with her strong work ethic and her thirst for knowledge. But all the while, she is haunted by the recurring vision of a black stone city that emanates evil... somehow she knows it is her fate to purge that place of its wickedness. But how will she find it? And can she fulfill her destiny while keeping her gender a secret?

With Alanna: The First Adventure, veteran fantasy author Tamora Pierce has created a lively, engaging heroine who will charm middle-school readers with her tomboyish bravado and have them eagerly searching for the next book in the Song of the Lioness series. Like Brian Jacques's tales of Redwall, this popular quartet is an entertaining fantasy series for younger teens. (Ages 10 to 13) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:33 -0400)

Fantasy. De 10-?arige tvillinger Alanna og Thom er b?rn af en lensherre i landet Tortall. De har magiske evner og hvirvles ind i dramatiske begivenheder, da de trodser deres traditionsbestemte opdragelse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,007,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible