Jedi Twilight by Michael Reaves

When I came across the Coruscant night series I wasn't sure whether I would like it or not. Just by the blurb and reviews I had read I was a bit sceptical. In all honesty, the part of the Star Wars timeline I'm not a huge fan of, mainly because there hasn't been a bulk worth of well known novels that have characterised the era.

I was left however, pleasantly surprised. The characters are interesting and not too 'far fetched', and I particularly liked the introduction of "I-Five" as well as what he adds to the novel. Michael Reaves uses good cross-referencing with some not so well known characters that helps drive the story along too. The problem I had with this book is that it didn't make me want to really get into it at all. I didn't find myself needing to get my book 'fix' as I have from previous novels that I've read. I think perhaps the lack of real excitement made it a bit of a drag but nevertheless, I have started the second novel in the series and I'm starting to get a bit more emotionally involved with the characters.

I would say that this will tickle your fancy if you're a fan of the whole 'lone Jedi surviving' thing, and if you are happy to follow a character relatively unheard of and new. However, if you're looking for a ton of names you've seen pop up in multiple novels etc then maybe look at either the Clone Wars or New Republic era.
  Samuel_J_C | Aug 28, 2013 |
This is a very fun book that takes place just a couple of months after Episode III. I found the characters very cool. There is a concern that Jax has regarding his abilities in the Force that is a little confusing. Hopefully, that will resolve itself in the next two chapters. I suppose I could see some people having problems with the sentience of droids, too. I think you could argue that R2D2 and C3PO are every bit as sentient as the droids in this book, though. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Dec 7, 2009 |
I’d heard this was a “hardboiled detective Jedi on Coruscant during the Clone Wars” story, which sounded like an interesting take on the genre, but it spends very little time on that scenario. There is some interesting perspective on the role of droids in society, but it’s mostly about “get the McGuffin while Darth Vader hunts you”.

About three stars worth of story, docked half a star for uneven writing and lack of foreshadowing. (The equipped-with-everything droid with the combat-quality fingertip lasers gets pretty cheesy after a while; if he has an awesome sensor suite, that should be mentioned early on, not just when it solves a plot point.) ( )
1 vote slothman | Jun 18, 2009 |
This is a novel in which not much actually happens. It's all set up and little plot, a red herring here and an aborted fight there, getting you to the point where, at the end of the book, the characters are all in place--and the book ends, and you need to go get part 2.

Call me crazy, but good stories shouldn't do that.

It doesn't really work as noir, it doesn't work as a mood piece, and it certainly doesn't work as narrative. In short, this book doesn't work. Skip it unless you're a hard-core Star Wars "Expanded Universe" fan and you plan to read all three. I'm not, and I won't. ( )
2 vote Imrahil2001 | May 15, 2009 |
We follow Jax Pavan, living in the seedier sections of the planet-wide city; he is part of an underground resistance group determined to undermine the Empire any way they can, and arrange for the escape of any surving Jedi. Jax has taken on the role of a bounty hunter, a job that, to say the least, is extremely at odds with his being a Jedi Knight. Read the rest of my review here: http://davebrendon.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/review-star-wars-coruscant-nights-1-... ( )
  Dave-Brendon | May 6, 2009 |
If droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there? —Obi-Wan Kenobi
For Michael Meadows
In the lowest levels, in the abyssal urban depths, of the ecumenopolis that was Coruscant, it was a rare thing indeed to see sunlight.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345477502, Mass Market Paperback)

With the dark ascension of the Empire, and the Jedi Knights virtually wiped out, one Jedi who escaped the massacre is slated for a date with destiny–and a confrontation with Darth Vader.

Jax Pavan is one of the few Jedi Knights who miraculously survived the slaughter that followed Palpatine’s ruthless Order 66. Now, deep in Coruscant’s Blackpit Slums, Jax ekes out a living as a private investigator, trying to help people in need while concealing his Jedi identity and staying one step ahead of the killers out for Jedi blood. And they’re not the only ones in search of the elusive Jax. Hard-boiled reporter Den Dhur and his buddy, the highly unorthodox droid I-5YQ, have shocking news to bring Jax–about the father he never knew.
But when Jax learns that his old Jedi Master has been killed, leaving behind the request that Jax finish a mission critical to the resistance, Jax has no choice but to emerge from hiding–and risk detection by Darth Vader–to fulfill his Master’s dying wish.

Don’t miss the continuing adventures in the Coruscant Nights series, coming this Fall!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:34 -0400)

A new trilogy that picks up where "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" leaves off, pitting Jedi survivor Jax Pavan against the newly anointed Darth Vader.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,018,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible