The Massacre of the Jews of Lithuania by…

The Massacre of the Jews of Lithuania (2008)

by Karen Sutton

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A thorough undertaking documenting another (smaller) chapter of the larger story- the terror of the Holacost on the Jewish people and the European continent.

A historical accounting it appears to be best suited for a college course rather than a book to be read for pleasure or enlightenment.

For anyone who has a pointed interest in the Jews of Lithuania this would be a worthwhile read.

I got the sense that this book served as a dissertation for a Doctorate thesis and degree. It is very thorough in its reasearch and documentation. ( )
  berthirsch | Oct 2, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is based on a dissertation so it is a dry read, but I did find it understandable and easy enough to read for someone with no knowledge of the subject. The author appears to have fully covered the subject matter in a scholarly way. I actually prefer however to read personal stories about individuals rather than these types of overall political descriptions. ( )
  dauphine | Aug 3, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is for those with a scholarly interest in the holocaust. The book is packed with facts and figures for those who need the numbers, but the reading is very difficult for the average reader. There is a small audience that would find this book a good resource or an interesting read. I unfortunately was not one of them. I struggled through as much as I could. Perhaps if I was writing my dissertation on this subject matter ( like the author did) I would have liked it more. Not every dissertation should be published as a book and in my opinion this was one of them. ( )
  kathyw | Jul 31, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A significant contribution to the history of atrocities committed against Jews during the Second World War. Karen Sutton offers sound arguments to the involvement of Lithuanian people in Hitler’s Final Solution. Read at times as a research dissertation, it is none the less interesting and well written.
  Suenos | Jul 14, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Reads like a PHd Dissertation. The subject matter was interesting enough, but the book was not engaging. I had to put this one down and move on. ( )
  emanhaud | Jul 9, 2009 |
To my parents

Sam and Tobie Ehrlich
Lithuania's 800-year history is sprinkled with glory and greatness.
Postscript: In January 1999, the Association of Lithuanian Jews estimated that approximately 23,000 Lithuanians assisted the Germans in murdering Jews.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Karen Sutton's book Massacre of Lithuania's Jews. Lithuanian Collaboration in the Final Solution, 1941-1944 was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,370,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible