dismiss

All Over Creation by Ruth Ozeki

All Over Creation (edition 2003)

by Ruth Ozeki

Meet Yumi Fuller. A Japanese American prodigal daughter, Yumi (aka Yummy) is returning home to the Idaho potato farm she ran away from twenty-five years earlier. Then a freewheeling hippie chick, Yumi is now a fairly responsible parent and a professor with a side gig selling lava lots in Hawaii. But can she possibly be prepared to face her dying father, her Alzheimer's-devastated mother, and Cass, the best friend she left behind? And there's the former lover whose agribusiness client has banished him to Idaho, where he lands in the small-town community he once offended and in Yumi's life.… (more)
Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:All Over Creation
Authors:Ruth Ozeki
Info:Viking Adult (2003), Hardcover, 432 pages
Tags:R19

All Over Creation by Ruth Ozeki

I liked the characters better at the beginning than at the end. (Yumi Fuller especially is a real piece of work. She runs away at age 14 after her relationship with a teacher comes to light. 25 years and three kids later, her maturity level has not changed at all.) Most of the characters treat the people around them with resentment and/or neglect, which was very frustrating for me to read. I also wish there were more facts about GMOS instead of a faux-debate with PR reps on one side and hippies on the other. On the positive side, Ozeki's writing is very vivid and readable. ( )
  doryfish | Jul 31, 2019 |
I adore Ruth Ozeki. This was the first time I was disappointed with one of her books. Yumi was so shallow and hard to like and Cass' pining grew tiresome. But I loved the Seeds and loved the Resistance and cheered them on wholeheartedly. The research and passion Ozeki brings to her work and in particular, this cause of fighting genetically engineered produce is commendable and enlightening. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
This novel has a message that stayed with me for a long time after I finished it. The plot and characters were engaging so it never felt like work to read it. Highly recommended. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
“Lloyd’s home, Mom.” I fingered the straggling ends of my mother’s hair. And your daughter is having a nervous breakdown. And there’s a caravan of hippies camping out behind the barn. Oh, and you’re a prophet of the Revolution.”

All Over Creation is probably Ruth Ozeki's weakest book to date, and yet, I devoured it in just one hung-over weekend.

I'm not going to say much about the plot other than that it is the story of a family who split apart over a matter of principle and who are slowly coming to terms with each other, life, illness, death, and all the things around them.

Whilst Ozeki's writing is for the most part wonderful, I felt that All Over Creation was trying too hard to accomplish two things:
1. home in on the environmental message of the book; and
2. dwell on scenes and descriptions for dramatic effect.

The book did not need to do this and there were a few scenes where I felt that less would have been more - especially at the end.

However, I was moved and engaged, and it made me laugh and provided all "the feelz", and I will not hold the over-kill of emotional writing on a handful of scenes against the rest of a book that clearly engages a more intellectual appreciation for the way Ozeki formed her characters and gave them voices that are so real that I had no trouble imagining them.

As spaced out as my introductory quote sounds, there is much more to the book than the family saga and in a way there are two parallel stories - one about the family and one about the family business (selling plant seeds) - and sometimes it is not clear if the story is about the family or the seeds, and this metaphorical conundrum is where Ozeki's craft shows:

“But they’re ours. We have to keep them safe!” She shook her head. “No. Keeping is not safe. Keeping is danger. Only safe way is letting go. Giving everything away. Freely. Freely.”
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Who would have predicted that interactions between modern hippie activists against genetic engineering and other food abuses, and salt-of-the-earth Idaho potato producers, would lead to a meeting of the minds? I absolutely loved this book and all its rich characters. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Ruth Ozekiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fields, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, who was always kind
It starts with the earth. How can it not?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,653,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible