The Devlin Diary by Christi Phillips

The Devlin Diary

by Christi Phillips

Can't wait to read the first one - The Rossetti Letters. I should have read them in order, but oh well. Still very good. I just love these books told in two time periods. Plus this was historical fiction so I feel like I'm getting a bit smarter while doing something I love - reading:) ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
I love historical fiction and this was a great read. Alternating between London 1672 and modern day Cambridge, parallel murders have taken place and it is up to the women in the book to discover the killers. The book is filled with mystery, suspense, romance and intrigue which keeps the reader totally engaged. The two female protagonists, Hannah and Claire, are both strong, intelligent, independent women struggling in male dominated professions. However, I far prefer the story of Hannah Devlin, physician to the King's mistress. Her story is more detailed and interesting, whilst Claire seems almost a secondary character. My only criticism would be that when the murderers were finally revealed in both eras it wasn't really exciting enough which spoiled the book a bit. However, I am still keen to read another book by Phillips. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Christi Phillips is adept at writing; her first novel, "The Rossetti Letter" was exceptional and it's sequel is a great follow up. She combines two stories, one for the past and one from present day into one in a page turning fashion that keeps readers wondering what will happen. The main character, Claire, is so likeable you can't help but want her to succeed at solving the mystery. A must read for fans of history who like a twist with a bit of mystery. ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
Enjoyable, although court intrigue really isn't my thing. Also, switching from past tense in the present-set portions to present tense in the past-set really bothered me for at least the first half of the book. ( )
  carlyrose | Jun 14, 2013 |
Another great story from Christi Philips. I enjoyed every minute of it. ( )
  marysneedle | Mar 29, 2013 |
No death in England or France was more lamented than that of Princess Henriette-Anne. Since which time dying has been the fashion. -- John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester
In memory of my father, Don Phillips
The Royal Doctors give her over and so do all that see her.

In 1672, London, although women enjoy greater freedom, they are not allowed to practice medicine, a restriction that Hannah Devlin evades by treating patients that most other doctors shun: the city's poor. But Hannah has a special knowledge, and she's drawn into a murder investigation that may conceal a conspiracy as far-reaching as the king himself. She leaves a diary that Claire Donovan, a history teacher at Trinity College, Cambridge in 2008 uses for clues in a modern day murder that appears to relate to events from Hannah's time.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Christi Phillips's book The Devlin Diary was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Christi Phillips is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible