Extreme Makeover by Henry Melton

Extreme Makeover

by Henry Melton

312,001,085 (4.5)None

I picked this book up out of curiosity at a science fiction convention, and started reading it at the seller's table. When I came back up for air at the start of Chapter 3, I bought it! It's a fun, action-packed romp with some serious themes underneath.

Deena is an intelligent young woman, handicapped by an overprotective helicopter mom and her own insecurities. When she accidentally becomes a host body for a nanite swarm, the only person she can trust is her quiet but equally-smart classmate Luther. But Luther has secrets of his own, and Deena has to make some serious ethical decisions as well as developing her own self-reliance. One thing I especially liked is that she doesn't sit around waiting to be rescued; once she has learned something about the capabilities the nanites give her, she figures out how to use those abilities as a weapon against the bad guys.

I would recommend this book for both boys and girls in the 12-15 age range, and for readers of any age who like well-written science fiction. ( )
  stardreamer | May 3, 2009 |

High school senior Deena Brooke struggled to make sense of the impossible changes to her body, grateful for the interest Luther Jennings had in her puzzling insights and quirky urges, until she discovered that he was hiding a deadly secret of his own. What could she do about this unseen influence that was changing her into something else, and was Luther helping her or dragging her into his criminal scam? Henry Melton, who brought you the award-winning Emperor Dad, crafts a tale of invasive nanobots with an alien agenda in the the dark towering redwood forests of far northern California.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:27 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,352,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible