Under a Blood Red Sky by Kate Furnivall

Under a Blood Red Sky (2008)

by Kate Furnivall

The Wild Orchid by Kate Furnivall (Anonymous user)

Escape from womens siberian concentation camp in 1933 ( )
  keithgordonvernon | May 1, 2017 |
Another long-term TBR.

Taking place in Stalin's Russia, the book is centred round a bond between two women, a bond forged in a gulag in Siberia.

Anna and Sofia are unlikely friends, Anna comes from a privileged background, but in the new Russia she is now an enemy of the people and is sent to a gulag in Siberia. There she meets Sofia, a real survivor who tries to keep Anna safe in such harsh conditions. It's Anna's stories of her past, especially those of her childhood love, Vasily, which give both women hope. Sofia realises that Anna won't last out her sentence, so escapes to get help, no mean feat as you can imagine.

The second part of the book is Sofia's search for Vasily, a search which takes her to a town closely watched by Stalin's regime. She is taken in by a gypsy, a man who uses his power to try to keep his town safe from the regime. Sofia must keep her head, while looking for a way to get back to Anna, with Stalin's lackeys on every corner.

Do not read this expecting a historical treatise on Stalin's gulags, rather this book focuses on a bond between two women which is stretched to breaking point under great hardship. I wondered how the plot would stretch to 500 pages, but Furnivall throws in family drama, the hard life in the USSR of the '30s and a bit of magic. Entertaining enough to help break up the gloom of my spring term report writing. ( )
  soffitta1 | May 1, 2012 |
This tale about two friends, Sofia and Anna, imprisoned in a Soviet labor camp turned out much more interesting than I originally thought. While I had enjoyed other books by the author, I was reluctant to read this work because the premise seemed a bit dull. As it turned out, Sofia's escape from an labor camp in Siberia and her efforts to track down Anna's old friend to save her friend from certain death made this novel fast-paced and compelling. The author also provides enough twists and revelations about the central characters to keep the plot interesting. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Nov 20, 2010 |
Enjoyable to read, but story is a bit of a stretch. ( )
  Readmuch | Jul 7, 2010 |

However, right from the beginning of the book I felt we were being asked to accept things that weren't plausible. The whole plot was just too far-fetched for me. The other (bigger) problem I had with this book was that I couldn't con...more Unfortunately I was unable to finish this book – which is not something that happens to me very often. I hadn't heard of Under a Blood Red Sky until I saw it in the library and I thought I'd give it a try as I love historical fiction set in Russia.

However, right from the beginning of the book I felt we were being asked to accept things that weren't plausible. The whole plot was just too far-fetched for me. The other (bigger) problem I had with this book was that I couldn't connect with any of the characters. Although they were constantly putting their lives at risk and facing unimaginable horrors under Stalin's communist regime, I found I didn't really care what happened to them. Sofia was one of those model heroines – beautiful, brave, intelligent and perfect. Everybody seemed to be captivated by her and I couldn't really understand why. She just didn't feel like a real person to me. Of course, there were some situations that even Sofia couldn't deal with – that's where the gypsy Rafik came in, using mesmerism and mind-control to overcome obstacles. I thought the whole magical aspect of the book seemed a bit out of place.

I tried to keep reading, thinking the book might get better but when I found I was almost halfway through and still wasn't enjoying it, I decided not to waste any more time on it and put it down with a sigh of relief. I'm glad I had borrowed this book from the library instead of spending money on it – at least I didn't lose anything apart from a couple of days when I could have been reading something else. ( )
  SheReadsNovels | May 6, 2010 |
For Norman
With my love
The Zone. That was what the compound was called.
The Zone. That's what the compound was called. A double barrier of dense barbed wire encircled it, backed by a high fence and watchtowers that never slept. In Sofia Morozova's mind it merged with all the other hated lice-ridden camps she'd been in. Transit camps were the worst. They ate up your soul, then spat you out into cattle trucks to move you on to the next one.

Editie Engeland: Under a Blood Red Sky. Editie Verenigde Staten: The Red Scarf. Editie Nederland: Sneeuwklokjes van de steppe

The Russian Concubine dazzled readers. Now, its gifted author delivers another sweeping historical novel.

Davinsky Labor Camp, Siberia, 1933: Only two things in this wretched place keep Sofia from giving up hope: the prospect of freedom, and the stories told by her friend and fellow prisoner Anna, of a charmed childhood in Petrograd, and her fervent girlhood love for a passionate revolutionary named Vasily.

After a perilous escape, Sofia endures months of desolation and hardship. But, clinging to a promise she made to Anna, she subsists on the belief that someday she will track down Vasily. In a remote village, she?s nursed back to health by a Gypsy family, and there she finds more than refuge?she also finds Mikhail Pashin, who, her heart tells her, is Vasily in disguise. He?s everything she has ever wanted?but he belongs to Anna.

After coming this far, Sofia is tantalizingly close to freedom, family?even a future. All that stands in her way is the secret past that could endanger everything she has come to hold dear?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:26 -0400)

Once, Russia was a place split between breathtaking wealth and desperate poverty. Now, as the country conforms under Stalin's violent rule, a young woman becomes a fugitive, and a storied hero turns into a living, breathing man.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,389,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible