Mortal Danger (Ann Rule's Crime Files…

Mortal Danger (Ann Rule's Crime Files #13)

by Ann Rule

202558,111 (3.93)3

So compelling. I could not put it down. There is just something about Ann Rule's true crime novels that just grip me and suck me right on in. They give me the creeps, and they are sad and disturbing, and yet I just can not get enough. ( )
  Barb_H | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is the best Ann Rule book I've read. I felt that in her other true-crime books, her writing was stilted and dry. It was hard to get involved in the stories and worse yet, hard to care about the people. This one, feels more like she's telling the stories of the victims. I worry about women in the first story - Mortal Danger. This may be because the first victim survived and could tell of the horror she faced. But the storytelling continued throughout the book. This book like most of her previous books is based on true crimes from the Northwest; She has selected several stories all but one are about lone women who are abused and killed. One involves a couple. Like life, sometimes the why of the crime is revealed and sometimes it's not.
The title story - Mortal Danger, seemed to drag in places and is lengthy. I think some of the lesser details could have been omitted in order to keep the story moving. The next story was about a couple who were found murdered in their home. This story was move concise. There are several more, But I think Rule's best is one of the shorter stories - "If I can't have you" - it was particularly chilling. A woman marries a man in the Netherlands, after the wedding his domineering side comes out, she leaves and returns to America but he stalks her to her home. Eventually, he kills her.
I'm so glad that Rule has become a storyteller as well as a reporter. I'm looking forward to reading her next book. ( )
  TamiHindes | Apr 10, 2011 |
Ann Rule does her usual fine job of following the tortuous paths of true crime. The stories in this collection focus on domestic violence. All of the stories here take place in the Pacific Northwest, as her stories often do. This is home ground for Ann, and she loves and describes it so well. She makes sure the stories are cautionary, warning women to watch for the warning signs of developing poisonous relationships as mirrored in the victims in these cases. ( )
  MerryMary | Feb 1, 2010 |
Ms. Rule has been around a long time, is a #1 New York Times bestselling author, and she knows the business of crime and police/detective procedure inside and out. She was a former Seattle police officer. Here she brings yet another collection of true crimes (and their resolution). Reading her is like reading good mysteries with the big exception that her mysteries (crimes) are real. She has a good eye for the topography of actual locations and she has a special message for abused/used/deceived women that all women should read. ( )
1 vote TheWeatherman | Aug 1, 2009 |
You will absolutely never, in your entire fantastic life of pleasure and pain, consume a work of blessed literary fervor in quite the same ordinary way after experiencing a realistically chilling yet true story from the queen of superlatives, Ann Rule.

I suppose that there are authors that use more superlatives than Ann Rule. I found her style corny. The additional annoying thing about the book is that Rule inserts herself into the book in the transitions between stories. If you can get past the writing style and story transitions, the stories are pretty compelling.

Mortal Danger is a collection of true crime cases. Rule attempts to humanize the people involved in the cases, including victims, perpetrators and detectives. While many of these people are probably just like you and me, not terribly dramatic or compelling, Rule manages to "interpret" these people in a way that comes off inauthentic. It is regrettable, in my opinion, because for the victims, this is their forever story.

I gave the book a few stars to reflect the fact that the stories, minus the cornball interpretation, are important. However, Rule's style is like eating beets-some of us gag no matter how they are prepared. ( )
  HollyinNNV | Feb 10, 2009 |
For the families and friends of violent crime victims and missing persons. I salute you for three decades of helping others because yyou've been through it and you understand. You have made a difference.
Foreword: The format of my True Crime Files series changes constantly.
Pacific Northwest residents were enjoying the sixth warm day of the year after a very long, very rainy winter.

Examines several cases of the spouse, lover, family member, or helpful stranger who is totally trusted but whose lethally violent nature, though masterfully disguised, can and will kill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible