Trumps of Doom by Roger Zelazny

Trumps of Doom (1985)

by Roger Zelazny

English (16)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (18)
I'm sorry. I only bought this book for the cover.

Commentary on the Trump family in the White House and only .39 at my local thrift out here on the Left Coast.

Perhaps one day I will read it. Perhaps I will only mock the ; cover for awhile and move on.

Hope none of the readers will be offended by this; hope even more this won't get trolled by a red stater.
  KaterinaBead | Mar 30, 2017 |
The adventures of Merlin, son of Corwin and Dara. Half Amberite, Half Lord of Chaos. More machinations. Someone is trying to kill him and other Amber royalty. The whole fragmented sentence thing used for shadow traveling is visually effective, but I simply skip it. Nothing happens in it. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Merle Corey (aka Merlin of Chaos, son of Corwin of Amber) has a fan. Not a fan like gushing girlie groupies. More of a fan like Robert DeNiro was a Fan of Wesley Snipes. This fan keeps trying to show his appreciation by attempting to kill him every April 30th. The attempts have been clumsy and unsuccessful in the past, but Merle has had to admit that they are getting better. This year, though, things have gotten personal - they killed Merle's old girlfriend, Julia, and a hack wizard and a succubus both got pretty close to doing him in. And things just keep getting worse and worse. A friend of his may not be who Merle thinks he is. He may or may not have a guardian angel keeping an eye on him. His mother may or may not have sent someone to help him. Amber itself may or may not be in danger. And his pet programming project, Ghostwheel, may or may not be sentient and out to kill him. And why is everyone interested in Ghostwheel? All questions and no answers. ( )
  helver | Aug 31, 2014 |
This has to stand for all 5 'Merlin' books. The first two I have read long ago and several times and only just discovered there were three more. I really enjoyed two of the three but the last one was lacking in plot so a bit disappointing. It's a seductive world and attractive characters. The best part (as with the 5 Amber books) shows the protagonist exploring and learning how to operate. Perhaps too effectively because with both sets, by the end, they are a bit too powerful and the empathy (mine at least) is a bit lost. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
I've been reading the Chronicles of Amber straight through, and this book, number 6, is the best yet. I haven't read Zelazny's other work, but I get the feeling that he really grew as a writer over the years from the beginning of the Amber novels. Trumps of Doom, the beginning of the second series within the Chronicles, takes us on a new path, as we follow the son of Corwin, the narrator of the earlier books. As with the original series, we begin in our own Earth, and the first half of the book reads like a good, hardboiled detective novel -- with a little magic thrown in for good measure! As established characters make their appearances, and as our protagonist leaves Earth for shadow worlds, we unfortunately lose that gumshoe delivery and tone, which is too bad. Still, this one was fun, and as usual I'm looking forward to the next.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dameron, NedCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Again, Judy
It is a pain in the ass waiting around for someone trying to kill you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,351,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible