Sign of Chaos by Roger Zelazny

Sign of Chaos (1987)

by Roger Zelazny

Recently added byprivate library, Oryphany, Loki504, Keaton75, Marmie7, aspirit

English (10)  French (1)  All (11)
later ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |
the Masked one turns out to look like Merlin's old girlfriend Julia, who was attacked and killed right at the beginning of Trumps of Doom. I can't speculate, simply hold on for the ride that Zelazny insists on us riding to read his books. Oh, we now have a self aware AI that Merlin created that is able to manipulate Shadow too. Add another confusing factor. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Ahhh, LSD. How interesting and exciting you make reality. This is especially true when you're a Shadowwalker and your dreams and imagining become real - because as we know, as a Shadowwalker, you essentially imagine a place and you walk to that ACTUAL place in the multiverse. So if you dream about the Tea Party in Alice in Wonderland, you go there. Which is just what happened to Merlin's good buddy Luke. The Mask trussed him up, pumped him full of LSD and let him wander through Shadows. As much as Merlin wanted to, though, he couldn't stay. If he did, we'd never know how all these various plot lines would get resolved. And my, oh my, the plotlines - they are a changing.

We've still got the Luke and Jasra thing going on. Now a childhood friend of Luke's, Dalt, is also in play, but we're not sure exactly what his endgame is. As you may recall, we learned that Luke (aka Rinaldo) is Brand's son. But now we also get to meet Coral, who is apparently Oberon's illegitimate daughter. She's also a part of the Bregman royal mission to Amber - but she decides to go walk the Pattern and is now missing. Jurt, Merlin's half-brother on the Chaos side, is out to get him and the Mask is still manipulating things. However at the end of the book, we get a pretty awesome cliffhanger that really puts a spin on things. I have to admit, that one things was one of the reasons the book ended up so highly rated by me. ( )
  helver | Sep 3, 2014 |
Sign of Chaos marks return to form for Zelazny and his Chronicles of Amber. Anyone who has come this far in the series (this is the eighth book) hardly needs a glowing review to continue reading, but after the somewhat tedious book that preceded it, this one is a welcome improvement. ( )
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book is where the 2nd Amber series begins to pick up steam and starts to carry the reader along on the ride, after the first two books tended to plod a bit. ( )
  NogDog | Aug 15, 2011 |

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burr, LindaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnin, FlorenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Phil Cleverley
and our seasons in the sun:
Thanks for all the kokyu nages
I felt vaguely uneasy, though I couldn't say why.

Following the cliffhanger ending of Blood of Amber, Merlin is stranded in surrealistic Alice in Wonderland-esque bar where the Mad Hatter serves cocktails. Managing to escape, Merlin meets new family members--one of whom is intent on killing him. As events escalates, Merlin finds himself surrounded by his worst enemies including his ex-girlfriend--back from the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:53 -0400)

Picking up with the conclusion of the "Blood of Amber" cliffhanger, Merle Corey seeks escape from the Shadow world of Alice in Wonderland. As the son of the great Prince Corwin of Amber, Merle is a member of a huge warring royal family with the genetic ability to move through 'shadow' worlds (of which our own is one). Merle tries to find the path back to Amber, the original world, to question unknown enemies and to discover the influence of the Courts of Chaos on his predicaments.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,550,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible