Dilvish, the Damned by Roger Zelazny

Dilvish, the Damned (1982)

by Roger Zelazny

Series: Dilvish The Damned (1)

English (4)  Slovak (1)  Spanish (1)  All (6)
(Actually 3.5 stars but bumping up.)

I've had this book for ages, but never read it because of the terrible 80s cover. I read the first few Dilvish stories while working my way through Zelazny's collected stories, and figured I'd finish out the book all at once.

On the whole, I enjoyed the stories, cover notwithstanding. In the collected stories, Zelazny notes this was his attempt at a Conan pastiche, and in that regard, I'd say it succeeds. Dilvish is a little smarter than Conan, and dabbles in sorcery, and has a few other Zelaznyan traits, but the stories have the same feel of those Robert E. Howard epics of the early 20th century.

It's interesting that the first few stories have more of the overwrought language reminiscent of Howard, while the later stories abandon this to some extent. (Zelazny set the series aside after the first few stories, coming back to it later after fan demand.) I prefer the later stories, although they perhaps don't feel as true to form as the earlier ones.

Overall, an entertaining batch of stories. Not Zelazny at his best, but certainly not him at his worst. As I have the collected stories, I don't feel the need to keep this separate volume. ( )
  wjohnston | Jun 15, 2013 |
This is a great collection of short stories about Dilvish, which together form a loosely connected novel. Dilvish is an interesting character (with an interesting 'horse' too). In some ways this reminded me of a game based novel, but that is only because some of the concepts in it were borrowed for the D&D game. The adventures are short and to the point, though the fun part is that the point is not always good. Very good stuff. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 21, 2013 |
Written after 'The Changing Land' this book gives us several short stories about Dilvish before the events in 'The Changing Land'. For a first read, I'd do so in the published order. After, I think reading this one first is the way to go. While some of the wonder is taken from 'The Changing Land', the added depth to the story makes up for it.It's a good sword & sorcery novel written in a mostly straight forward manner. One story is told in an epic mode. You can almost imagine a bard telling the story. Another tells us why & how Dilvish was sent to Hell. Others add on to the depth of the world as we find out something of Dilvish's ancestors & he meets a goddess in another. All very interesting & readable. Not his best work, but solid & enjoyable. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
A prequel to the book "The Changing Land". Told as a sequential set of short stories, "Dilvish, the Damned" follows the history of Dilvish and his demon horse that he met in Hell. We don't get to read about the time spent in Hell, just what follows shortly after his escape as he begins his quest to slay the Wizard that sent him there.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. An easy, quick read for anyone that enjoys fantasy adventure stories. ( )
  casummerhill | Sep 5, 2007 |

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

11 Stories from 1964-1981: Passage to Dilfar (1964); Thelinde's Song (1965); The Bells of Shoredan (1966); A Knight for Merytha (1967); The Places of Aeche (1979); A City Divided; The White Beast (1979); Tower of Ice (1981); Devil and the Dancer; Garden of Blood (1979); Dilvish, the Damned.

Limited to 333 numbered and signed copies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,746,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible