Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny

Doorways in the Sand (1975)

by Roger Zelazny

Good.
Noted during my 1980s attempt to read every book in my small town library. ( )
  juniperSun | Dec 5, 2014 |
Doorways in the Sand serves as a fine showcase for Zelazny's considerable writing talent; each chapter begins with the hero in jeopardy, then loops back to explain how he got that way.

In a less-capable writer's hands such a device would feel gimmicky, but Zelazy handles it beautifully.

As a result, most of the people who read Doorways in the Sand find it be a hell of a lot of fun. I know I did.

This was the first Zelazny book I ever read, and what an introduction.

The characters are bizarre and wholly interesting, and the plot is suitably absurd (a frozen Uncle's estate is paying for Fred Cassiday's college education for as long as he doesn't graduate, so he makes a point of never graduating).

The overall effect is one of a smartass having a lot of fun, yet it's not so bizarre as to become cartoonish.

Even the aliens are interesting (and surprising), and while this doesn't qualify as a "deep think" novel which will alter your perception of reality, it is a great, fun read by one of the genre's better writers. ( )
2 vote TCWriter | Mar 31, 2013 |
One of my favorites by my favorite author, and another great recommendation for those who are tired of all scifi/fantasy books being parts of series. ( )
  NogDog | Aug 15, 2011 |
I think this must be one of Zelazny's early books - it has his style and his great characterization, but the story needs some work. I felt that it was disjointed - too many random characters. All the pieces are there to make it a well written book, but its all mixed up. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Aug 21, 2010 |
While it's a bit derivative of his own ideas from the Amber stories, it's still a fun and humorous story. The plot device of starting each event in the middle, retracing how the hero ended up there, and then resolving it, worked well. ( )
  TadAD | Apr 2, 2010 |
The too-clever story shaping aside, there’s a lot here to like.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Aug 27, 2009)

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clarke, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haberfield, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Isaac Asimov mit höchster Zuneigung, tiefstem Respekt und voller Verrücktheit.
So daliegend, die linke Hand auf einem Kissen, auf der schindelgedeckten Dachschräge, im Schatten des Giebels, hinaufstarrend zu wolkigen, blauen Meer des Nachmittagshimmels, schien ich, blinzelnd, über dem Campus und mir selbst, einen Schriftzug zu sehen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,269,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible