Prince of Chaos by Roger Zelazny

Prince of Chaos (1991)

by Roger Zelazny

Recently added byAlMargheim, private library, KCV, Davinasbooks, ac87, cctesttc1, jkrzok, dangle, Clanky

English (8)  French (1)  All (9)
Ok, Merlin is going to become the King of Chaos, to keep peace between the Pattern and the Logrus. Corwin has been imprisoned, and basically it is Corwin/Oberon all over again. How dumb can guys get? Zelazny simply cannot seem to allow his characters to live their lives. I believe this is the last original Amber novel. I've heard there are prequels written by another author, but I don't have any interest in those. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
An excellent series capped by an OK book. I was a little confused going into the last 10 or 15 pages and there will still major issues unresolved. My confusion led to disappointment when most of those dangling threads were left with a concrete resolution. While I'm OK in general with leaving some plot lines and their completion to the imaginations of the reader, there were just so many threads left that I couldn't help feel a little cheated. ( )
  helver | Sep 7, 2014 |
The final book in Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber is enjoyable, but alas, not among the best in the series. I found that the vivid, interesting characters, normally one of the author's strong suites, were overshadowed here by an overly elaborate plot. I understand why so much had to happen in this book: Zelazny was wrapping up this second part of the Amber series, taking care of all the loose ends built up around Merle in the previous few books. The author does a serviceable job in bringing everything to a satisfying conclusion, but I'd have preferred something -- dare I say it? -- darker at the end, less frenetic, and less determined to give us that satisfying ending.

This was Zelazny's last entry in The Chronicles of Amber before his untimely death, and I do not plan to read the more recent Amber books that were penned by John Gregory Betancourt, since they are poorly reviewed. As such, I feel like I should come to some kind of conclusion about the series. So I'll say this: despite what I felt was a rocky start and some unevenness along the way, I'd recommend the Chronicles of Amber to anyone who enjoys page-turners about (take your pick) heroes, kingdoms, trippy travel through alternate realities, and general intrigue. The series as a whole is a cut above many of the skin-deep adventures that are published and soon forgotten. You will be introduced to characters, and a world, that will keep you pleasant company for some time.

Instead of hunting down the individual books, if you don't mind lugging around something heavier, seek out [b:The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles 1-10 Chronicles of Amber|5367|The Great Book of Amber The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10|Roger Zelazny|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165519096s/5367.jpg|8810]. It brings everything together in one volume, and is more readily available.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
A reasonably satisfying conclusion to Merlin's story, but not as much as Corwin's in The Courts of Chaos ( )
  NogDog | Aug 15, 2011 |
Prince of Chaos (New Amber Novel) by Roger Zelazny (1991)
  pezazul | Sep 6, 2010 |

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burr, LindaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor,GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jane Lindskold--

Gramercy, lady, for your help,

This one was yours from the start.
See one coronation and you've seen them all.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible