My Name Is Legion by Roger Zelazny

My Name Is Legion (original 1976; edition 1976)

by Roger Zelazny (Author)

Member:GVassmer
Title:My Name Is Legion
Authors:Roger Zelazny (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (1976), Edition: 1st, 213 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

My Name is Legion by Roger Zelazny (1976)

Its a fairly typical book written in the 70's. We have a large computer system that knows everything about everybody - but doesn't predict the Internet (or Facebook), but still runs on punchcards. There's some weird ESP stuff and dolphins in the middle story, and the last story is one that seems the most plausible. An AI machine designed for exploration of the outer planets goes AWOL, and comes back with revenge on its mind...

The main character is a an every man - no set identity, but manages to be fit into any role he wants to be in. Not bad for a computer programmer from a former life. On women - there was an attempt at equality (the Security Officer from the first story), but for the most part, they are token characters, mainly designed for eye candy for our male hero.

General thoughts - the main character doesn't want to be added to the world wide computer system - so when he gets a chance, he takes it. But- he would still have records. Hes parents, co-workers, membership on gym membership, would all have been added. Him not existing doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, the world in the book is fairly benign - the computer doesn't take away free will, or takes over the world. Our unnamed hero doesn't make much of a case for not wanting to exist. It actually makes his life a lot more difficult. There are other nitpicky things - but it mostly stems from not being able to predict how computers work in 2018.

Overall, the stories are well written, but did not age well. ( )
1 vote TheDivineOomba | Oct 27, 2018 |
What's astonishing is how little these stories have aged, and in fact, they may be more relevant today than when they were written.

Zelazny's central character for all three stories is a man who managed to erase all electronic traces of himself, and in a society where everybody is known (and tracked), he becomes something of a freelance agent.

The stories themselves grapple with man's attempts to control technology that is frankly beyond our means (that relevance thing again), and while the characters are not as deeply drawn as in most Zelazny's work, they tell us enough to keep the stories moving.

Not Zelazny's best, but still worth a read. ( )
  TCWriter | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is another book from my father's classic scifi collection, My Name is Legion by Roger Zelazny. It contains three stories (the last one, Home is the Hangman, won a Hugo and Nebula ). All stories are told by the same (unnamed) character. He was involved in the creation of a global super databank in which all data about people is contained, their personal information, their travels, their finances, their psychological tests. Because he had his doubts he erased himself from the system and created a backdoor, enabling him to create and erase identities for himself as he wishes. Because he has no legal way to make money, he hires himself out as an investigator of suspicious happenings.
The book takes place in the future, but not very far out, and the world described is not much different from our own. Only in the last story, about an AI robot/machine, a lot of Science Fiction (about space travel) is alluded to. The rest read more like investigative mysteries. The book was an alright read, but not that special. ( )
1 vote divinenanny | Aug 11, 2011 |
Almost became the first Zelazny collection I was genuinely disappointed in, but the novella "Home is the Hangman" is, as reported, the keeper. Eccentric and overreaching, but ultimately poignant and worth the trouble. Alas, the first two stories are duds. And, the "man with no name" framing device that ties the stories together is not terribly convincing.
3 stars for Hangman, 2 stars for the other two. You can skip the first 2 and read the novella, and be in good shape.
So 2 1/2 stars. ( )
1 vote arthurfrayn | May 31, 2011 |
This is a collection of 3 stories with a central character, a man with no name. Sound familiar? Well, it's not a Clint Eastwood western, but it is a fun set of SF-Mystery stories. I get the impression that Zelazny was wondering about some things, kind of thinking out loud.In the first story, "Rumoko", we meet the head programmer of the world bank database. He decided that the system he labored on so long, a database that contains every fact about every person on Earth, might not be such a good thing, so he drops out of the system & becomes a wandering troubleshooter. He's tough, smart & can be anyone he wants to be thanks to his backdoor into the database. He takes on interesting jobs such as protecting a project which is creating a new island chain by blowing holes in the Earth's crust with atomic weapons. But should he?The second story has an unpronounceable name, "Kjawlll'kje'k'koothai'lll'kjr'k", & explores dolphin intelligence, philosophy & possibly their religion.The last story is "Home is the Hangman" which was also published as a separate novella & with some short stories in another book. A deep space exploration robot is more intelligent than its creators counted on.All in all, not his favorite work of mine, but a good read. ( )
1 vote jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |

Zelazny, Rogerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brillhart, RalphCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dijk, Peter vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bill Spangler and Fred Lerner, for two very good reasons

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345295226, Mass Market Paperback)

He had destroyed his punchcards and changed his face. There was no credit card, birth record, or passport for him in the International Data Bank. His names were many...any he chose. His occupation was taking megarisks in the service of a vast global detective agency. His interworld assignments were highly lucrative, incalculably vital, and terrifyingly deadly. And more often then not, his life was a living hell!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:38 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,689,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible