The Chronicles of Amber, Volume II (Sign of…

The Chronicles of Amber, Volume II (Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of…

by Roger Zelazny

I really liked the characters and setting of the Amber novels, though I can't recall anything in particular about the three included in this version. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 2, 2013 |
This edition contains the final three books of the first Amber series, "The Sign of the Unicorn," "The Hand of Oberon," and "The Courts of Chaos." Very highly recommended. ( )
  NogDog | Aug 15, 2011 |
Not particularly good. The story gets way too convoluted, the ending is both convenient and anticlimactic, and I don't feel that I was properly repaid for the effort I put into reading the series. I think next time I'll just read Nine Princes and leave it at that. Detailed reviews on the individual books. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 19, 2010 |
I can't say enough about how much I like the first 5 Amber novels. I will admit that the first two seemed to move a little faster and were slightly more fun to read, but this doesn't really detract from the enjoyment of the series. ( )
  Homechicken | Jul 10, 2008 |
I love this series! ( )
  coffeesucker | Jan 16, 2007 |
This is an omnibus edition of Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of Oberon, and The Courts of Chaos. Please do not combine it with any of the individual books.

Here, together for the first time, are the complete Chronicles of Amber in a two-volume set.

Amber is the one real world, casting infinite reflections of itself - Shadow worlds that can be manipulated by those of royal Amberite blood. Unfortunately, the royal family is torn by jealousies and suspicions.  And the disappearance of the clan patriarch, Oberon, has intensified the conflicts by leaving Amber's throne apparently up for grabs.
The Chronicles begin in a hospital on the Shadow Earth, where a man is recovering from a freak auto accident.  Since he is also suffering from amnesia, and has been for some time, he has no idea that he's Prince Corwin of Amber - until his memory receives a succession of jolts:
He meets a sister who speaks in riddles of plots and counterplots...
and a brother who abruptly involves him in a life-and-death battle against pursuers from a fearful Shadow world.
He discovers a deck of tarot-like cards, with himself, his sister, and strangers whom he guesses to be other relatives, pictured on their faces. Only lingering amnesia keeps him from grasping the full significance of the find: the cards are the Greater Trumps of Amber, used by his family to communicate across vast distances, and transport one another through Shadows in an instant.
Than comes the most shattering jolt of all...Corwin's confrontation with an intricate design created by a master manipulator of reality - the Pattern.  By walking the Pattern, those of the blood royal gain the ability to control Shadows.  But the slightest hesitation or misstep during the trail means death.
As Corwin sets foot upon that coldly glowing inscription, memories come flooding back to him...more and more with each step.  And finally, knowing his true identity, he acknowledges his true ambition - and resolves that the crown of Amber will be his.
But unknown to Corwin, there are dark forces massing against Amber...and before too long he will discover just how great a burden a king's crown can be.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,501,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible