Lord Demon by Roger Zelazny

Lord Demon (1999)

by Roger Zelazny, Jane Lindskold

English (6)  French (1)  All (7)
My favorite character in this book is the fu dog puppy Fluffinella. What a perfect name for a puppy! In this book, demons and gods aren't what we traditionally conceptualize them as, and Zelzany and Lindskold do an excellent job of making their world both fantastical and mundane. Lindskold seamlessly picks up where Zelzany leaves off and delivers a believable tale with wonderful imagery. The descriptions of the different planes, including the Plane of Lost Socks, are not to be missed. ( )
  BethHatchel | Oct 31, 2015 |
Weird. I know I'd read this before - I remember bits of it - but most of the story was essentially unfamiliar to me. I recognized Kai Lung's discussion with Oliver at the beginning, for instance, but didn't remember what happened to him. More importantly, I'd forgotten who Kai's enemy(s) were, and the part the fu dogs played; I'd forgotten the hospital and the reference to the beginning of the Amber books. Anyway - interesting story, interesting universe; some of the interactions were a trifle obvious, but overall rather fun. Not wonderful, but pretty good. I wonder if I'll forget it again in a couple years... ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 12, 2010 |
This is a pretty decent collaboration by Zelazny and Lindskold, unlike Donnerjack, which I didn't care for. It was fun to see them take the classic Arabian Nights concept of a genie and fit it into more serious terms. ( )
  TadAD | Apr 2, 2010 |
(despite having reviewed it in print, I'd completely forgotten it 8 years later!) ( )
  tamaranth | Apr 16, 2007 |

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lindskold, Janemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380770237, Mass Market Paperback)

Roger Zelazny (1937-1995) was a wizard of the pen: he won six Hugos and three Nebulas and is revered by science fiction and fantasy readers. Lord Demon is his last novel, the second of two projects unfinished at his death. Jane Lindskold, his partner and a fantasy author herself, completed it from some manuscript, a few notes, and conversations she'd had with him. Fans are often skeptical of posthumous collaborations: "It's not real Zelazny"--but Lord Demon comes darned close. It deserves space beside the Amber series, The Dream Master, and Lord of Light. As Zelazny once said of another novel: "It has all my favorite things--blood, love, fire, hate and a high ideal or two."

Lord Demon is vintage Zelazny: a "scientific" fantasy built on favorite themes (the necessity of knowing oneself, of taking risks, and of accepting the vulnerability that comes with feeling passionately), drawing on East Asian, Irish, and hero's quest myths, and featuring his signature protagonist: erudite, smart-mouthed, detached, homicidal when roused but more often immersed in art, poetry, and the creation of alternate realities; unexpectedly kind to the weak and deeply romantic in his approach to women. The bad puns and wildly whimsical turns the story takes are also characteristic.

Fans will hear echoes of Amber: Kai Wren and his demon colleagues represent Chaos; the gods live in Origin, imposing their will to order the planes of existence; the powerful demon He of the Towers of Light has sculpted his home to resemble Origin, and approaching it is much like walking the Pattern; and so on. What's unique is what Kai Wren learns in Lord Demon. The immortal doesn't fail, nor does he return triumphant to marry and rule his folk. This hero and the author finally accept the limits of superpower and the pleasures in being "only human." ---Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:53 -0400)

A war breaks out between demons after one has his powers stolen. He is Kai Wren one of a colony of demons in China where they settled after being banished by the gods from their planet in space.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,070,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible