Knight of Shadows by Roger Zelazny

Knight of Shadows (1989)

by Roger Zelazny

Recently added byclaymichaels, private library, Bigpompillo, First_Snow, Oryphany, aj_cotton, dcasner

English (8)  French (1)  All (9)
Zelazny delights in blindsiding his characters [and readers] with all sorts of father issues, family issues and friend issues. Turns out the Pattern and the Logrus are sentient powers and that Chaos and Amber may simply exist to give them place to battle. Merlin is in the position that Corwin was, in the first 5 books, ie, confused and with a bad case of a dad doing something that nobody else knows about. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Physical manifestations of the Pattern and Logrus. The sentience of ideas. Political intrigue. Lovers' quarrels. Mother/son issues. Oh, my! ( )
  helver | Sep 7, 2014 |
Better in many ways - more progress and an interesting story. But still an awful lot of loose ends and distractions, and a semi-cliffhanger ending. What the heck is that ring? And all the rest - the black-and-white world, a lot of surrealism... Bah - read the next one when I can. I'm glad I didn't bother to get the whole set - I'll be getting rid of the ones I have now. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Aug 2, 2011 |
Flair, fantasy, humor: Bias alert. I should start this review by saying that I am not sure that Zelazny could write a bad book. Non-Zelazny fans may disagree.

Merlin is very clearly the son of Corwin. He is irreverent about the holy ghosts of Amber and Chaos. He hits his head against the rules (and sometimes even wins). Despite an overly-long sequence in a strange testing ground between shadows, Zelzany still infuses this book with the manic strangeness and humor that are part of what make him such a wonderful writer. As noted, virtually none of the Amber novels can be read stand-alone or out of sequence. You are going to have to read the books before this one to get the background. And you are going to have to read the ones after this to get an explanation. An enjoyable task, luckily.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |

Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for John Douglas
Her name was Julia, and I'd been damn certain she was dead back on April 39 when it all began.

Merlin finds himself in a netherworld where his magic is diminished and is forced to choose between the Courts of Amber and Chaos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible