The Last Defender of Camelot by Roger…

The Last Defender of Camelot (1980)

by Roger Zelazny

Ah yes - this is definitely a book of its time - semi-mystical writing, tight writing.

As always in an anthology such as this, some stories are better written than others. My favorite was "Damnation Alley" - a story set in apocalyptic America - where an outbreak of disease in Boston needs help from Los Angeles, and fast. The only one capable of driving across the country is a convicted, devil may care felon. The story, "For a Breath, I Tarry", is about a machine, trying to understand humanity, after humanity is gone. The writing is a bit over the top, but the story itself is interesting.

Generally, the stories in the collection are short, there a few that I suspect were amazing when they first published, but generally, they didn't really work for today's world. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 3, 2015 |
Master of short storytelling!

As with all anthologies of well written short stories, I had to take my time with this book, pausing between each one to let it sink in. I believe that the full power of the short story is best demonstrated in science fiction shorts because they cannot rely on the reader to fill in the setting and society but must build an entire world in a few thousand words. Zelazny is a master at that. I did not swoon over every story, some were more tchnical in focus than I prefer but most drew me in completely. I recommend this to both sci fi afficionados and short story lovers and writers for pure appreciation of the form. ( )
  Darcy-Conroy | Sep 28, 2015 |
Roger Zelazny's The Last Defender of Camelot is a collection that, according to the back cover, 'spans the full spectrum of Zelazny's remarkable career'. I enjoyed all of them, more or less: 'He Who Shapes' was interesting, and I loved 'For a Breath I Tarry'. I could almost like Launcelot, in 'The Last Defender of Camelot', and I did rather like Morgana. It's an interesting version of Merlin.

He is, at least, very good at the short story as a form, which is more than I can say for a lot of the writers I've seen attempting it. He makes the form his own, and gives it a twist in the right places. All the stories here are satisfying, whether long or short. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
The back cover describes them as strange and beautiful stories and that's what they are. Some of the best of the best are here but let me vote for "The Engine at Heartspring's Center" a story about a cyborg that you will never forget and "For a Breath I Tarry" a story that will change the way you think about computers. The more well-known story "The Stainless Steel Leech" is a must for vampire-fiction lovers. ( )
  nebula61 | Jun 28, 2008 |
A Thing of Terrible Beauty (Written under the name Harrison Denmark)
Auto-Da-Fe (Original, mechanical toredor, with cars)
Comes Now the Power (Emotionally charged, memory transferance & a dying little girl.)
For A Breath I Tarry (Original, Great Plot, Great development)
Halfjack (Guy is half human, half machine and has to pick between his human babe and his machine babe. Really short, not much to it.)
Horseman! ()
Is There a Demon Lover in the House? (Jack the ripper pops into the future and just happens to sit in on a snuff flick. Hilarious.)
No Award (Not very original and kind of predictable. Not your average Zelzany.)
Passion Play (Good, kinda funny, ironic, robots make car crash into a ritual after humans are dead.)
Stand Pat, Ruby Stone (Pretty cool idea, strange mating habits of an insect-like alien species. 3 get married, 2 fight to the death winner eats other one. One is mutilated and used as a nest.)
The Engine at Heartspring's Center (Cool writing, sounds a little like Logan's Run. Great images.)
The Game of Blood & Dust ()
The Last Defender of Camelot (Good, not great- could have beeen a novel about Lancelot's travels through time. Too simple in short story format.)
The Stainless Steel Leech (Cool, a robot vampire and a real vampire hangout after all humanity is dead.)
Damnation Alley (This is the original novella Then he wrote the full length story of the same name.)
He Who Shapes (This is the original novella that won the Nebulla. Then he wrote the full length _The Dream Master_.) ( )
  ragwaine | Nov 29, 2006 |

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola,JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collage is dedicated to Ruby Olson
This is the 1980 collection published by Pocket Books and others, which contains different stories from the 2002 ibooks collection of the same name.  Please do not combine them.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671417738, Mass Market Paperback)

The Last Defender of Camelot is a new collection of classic Zelazny short stories, including: "He Who Shapes," the basis for his novel The Dream Master; "Damnation Alley," which was later fleshed out to full novel form; "Passion Play," Zelazny's first published work; and the title story, a robot tale of sorts that explains how Sir Launcelot survived the thousand years since the fall of Camelot. Here There be Dragons is the story of a small kingdom terrorized by dragons-or at least that's what the people living there have come to believe, since all the maps in the kingdom show that they're surrounded by dragons. And if all the maps agree on that point, then it must be true, mustn't it...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:49 -0400)

'Last Defender of Camelot' is a collection of classic Zelazny short stories including 'For a breath I tarry' 'Halfjack' and '24 views of Mt. Fuji'.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,746,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible