The Last Defender of Camelot by Roger…

The Last Defender of Camelot (1980)

by Roger Zelazny

Master of short storytelling!

As with all anthologies of well written short stories, I had to take my time with this book, pausing between each one to let it sink in. I believe that the full power of the short story is best demonstrated in science fiction shorts because they cannot rely on the reader to fill in the setting and society but must build an entire world in a few thousand words. Zelazny is a master at that. I did not swoon over every story, some were more tchnical in focus than I prefer but most drew me in completely. I recommend this to both sci fi afficionados and short story lovers and writers for pure appreciation of the form. ( )
  Darcy-Conroy | Sep 28, 2015 |
Roger Zelazny's The Last Defender of Camelot is a collection that, according to the back cover, 'spans the full spectrum of Zelazny's remarkable career'. I enjoyed all of them, more or less: 'He Who Shapes' was interesting, and I loved 'For a Breath I Tarry'. I could almost like Launcelot, in 'The Last Defender of Camelot', and I did rather like Morgana. It's an interesting version of Merlin.

He is, at least, very good at the short story as a form, which is more than I can say for a lot of the writers I've seen attempting it. He makes the form his own, and gives it a twist in the right places. All the stories here are satisfying, whether long or short. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
A more mature, with tongue firmly in cheek, Zelazny, this collection is a solid look at human's adapting and reacting to science and fantasy. Permafrost was a bit of a disappointment since I had heard Zelazny read it to celebrate the North Dakota weather. I suspect that Zelazny the reader could convey the cheeked tongue even better. ( )
  DromJohn | Apr 26, 2011 |
SF & Fantasy short stories, several of which won awards. As always, he's a great read. The title story is his take on the Arthurian Legend & is, as always, unique. Other stories take fantasy into SF & vice versa in strange ways with a deft touch. He's one of the few authors that was a master of both the novel & short story. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
The back cover describes them as strange and beautiful stories and that's what they are. Some of the best of the best are here but let me vote for "The Engine at Heartspring's Center" a story about a cyborg that you will never forget and "For a Breath I Tarry" a story that will change the way you think about computers. The more well-known story "The Stainless Steel Leech" is a must for vampire-fiction lovers. ( )
  nebula61 | Jun 28, 2008 |

Roger Zelaznyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola,JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collage is dedicated to Ruby Olson
Note that the ibooks edition collection is radically different, they should be separated out.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671417738, Mass Market Paperback)

The Last Defender of Camelot is a new collection of classic Zelazny short stories, including: "He Who Shapes," the basis for his novel The Dream Master; "Damnation Alley," which was later fleshed out to full novel form; "Passion Play," Zelazny's first published work; and the title story, a robot tale of sorts that explains how Sir Launcelot survived the thousand years since the fall of Camelot. Here There be Dragons is the story of a small kingdom terrorized by dragons-or at least that's what the people living there have come to believe, since all the maps in the kingdom show that they're surrounded by dragons. And if all the maps agree on that point, then it must be true, mustn't it...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:49 -0400)

'Last Defender of Camelot' is a collection of classic Zelazny short stories including 'For a breath I tarry' 'Halfjack' and '24 views of Mt. Fuji'.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,710,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible