Earth in the Balance by Al Gore

Earth in the Balance (1992)

by Al Gore

1,008None8,451 (3.69)2
Recently added byuuabq, private library, RobSchultz, tln, judineal, larryorr, caudata1, culbertsonne, vallimont

The subtitle should be a common sense perspective. Contrary to a popular misconception, Al Gore is definitely not a crackpot. Since this book was written, nearly 100% of scientists believe that global warming is a fact. Gore's ideas about a global Strategic Environmental Initiative are even more urgent today. We would be much closer to overcoming this massive problem had Gore not been cheated out of the presidency in 2000. Unfortunately this book deals mainly with governmental actions and not individual solutions. ( )
  jwood652 | Sep 28, 2013 |
Written by former senator and vice president Al Gore, this book has become an environmental classic, and was responsible for the unstated (and sometimes stated) belief that in the Clinton administration we had an environmentally friendly administration. The book is thorough, but doesn't really cover any new ground, unless you haven't read a lot on the topic. A lay person new to the subject could pick it up and become reasonably well informed, or at least enough to converse intelligently on the topic. Unfortunately, the expectations for the Clinton presidency did not pan out, which could perhaps explain the tepid reception Gore got from environmentalists in 2000, many of whom deserted him to go to Ralph Nader and the Greens. ( )
1 vote quantum_flapdoodle | Apr 16, 2011 |
Read this on Block Island where I met a barmaid who was reading the same book. She was very upset when I said that it contained nothign that we did not hear every day.... I suggested that it was just sensationalized because it was Gore.... Could this be???? ( )
  asails | Mar 24, 2011 |
  asails | Mar 24, 2011 |
1 vote | asails | Mar 24, 2011 |
To my sister
Nancy LaFon Gore Hunger

January 23, 1938 - July 11, 1984
I was standing on the hot steel deck of a fishing ship capable of processing a fifty-ton catch on a good day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452269350, Paperback)

What's most inspiring about Earth in the Balance is who wrote it. It's a big deal, after all, that a sitting senator was willing to write, "We must make the rescue of the environment the central organizing principle for civilization." And that's not all. In his 1992 book, Al Gore also wrote:
I have become very impatient with my own tendency to put a finger to the political winds and proceed cautiously.... [E]very time I pause to consider whether I have gone too far out on a limb, I look at the new facts [on the environment crisis] that continue to pour in from around the world and conclude that I have not gone far enough.... [T]he time has long since come to take more political risks--and endure more political criticism--by proposing tougher, more effective solutions and fighting hard for their enactments.

And the buzz on the street is that Gore actually wrote those words himself.

When Earth in the Balance first came out, it caused quite a stir--and for good reason. It convincingly makes the case that a crisis of epidemic proportions is nearly upon us and that if the world doesn't get its act together soon and agree to some kind of "Global Marshall Plan" to protect the environment, we're all up a polluted creek without a paddle. Myriad plagues are upon us, but the worst include the loss of biodiversity, the depletion of the ozone layer, the slash-and-burn destruction of rainforests, and the onset of global warming. None of this is new, of course, nor was it new in 1992. But most environmentalists will still get a giddy feeling reading such a call to action as written by a prominent politician.

The book is arranged into three sections: the first describes the plagues; the second looks at how we got ourselves into this mess; and the final chapters present ways out. Gore gets his points across in a serviceable way, though he could have benefited from a firmer editor's hand; at times the analogies are arcane and the pacing is odd--kind of like a Gore speech that climaxes at weird points and then sinks just as the audience is about to clap. Still, at the end you understand what's been said. Gore believes that if we apply some American ingenuity, the twin engines of democracy and capitalism can be rigged to help us stabilize world population growth, spread social justice, boost education levels, create environmentally appropriate technologies, and negotiate international agreements to bring us back from the brink. For example, a worldwide shift to clean, renewable energy sources would create huge economic opportunities for companies large and small to design, build, and maintain solar panels, wind turbines, fuel cells, and other ecofriendly innovations.

Gore doesn't mince words when describing just how hard it will be to get out of this jam. Real hope is contingent on a swelling up of concern among the public--and fast. A year into the vice presidency, in an interview with writer Bill McKibben, Gore paraphrased a key passage in his book, "The minimum that is scientifically necessary far exceeds the maximum that is politically feasible." Ah, a political out. Some readers will ask of Gore: what has he done since publishing his book to advance the political feasibility of decisive environmental action? --Chip Giller

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:39 -0400)

Presents a comprehensive plan for saving the environment by addressing population, technology, and education.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible