Eloise by Kay Thompson

Eloise (1955)

by Kay Thompson

Other authors: Hilary Knight (Illustrator)

Series: Eloise (1)

The story of Eloise, a rich girl living with her Nanny in the Plaza, while her parents are away away on business.I liked the whole book but I especially liked the fold out elevator, it was fun to track her movements up and down.It is a very interactive book. ( )
  Schuman | Jan 13, 2012 |
Henry James would want to study her. Queen Victoria would recognize her as an Equal. The New York Jets would want to have her on their side. Lewis Carroll would love her (once he got over the initial shock). She knows everything about The Plaza. She is interested in people when they are not boring. She has Inner Resources."If you take her home with you, you will always be glad you did. "
  haleyg | Dec 2, 2011 |
As an only daughter of a single musician dad at her age, I was more than a bit of an Eloise. Madeline was always the more admirable character - maybe it was the structure, or the fact that she actually lived in France - but Eloise's hijinks seemed like the kind of thing that every 6-year-old would do, given the chance. She was Fancy Nancy, before Fancy Nancy. (Or maybe FN is Eloise trying to imitate Madeline - but that's another book review.) I like Eloise, because unlike a lot of kid's books these days (I thinking here of David Shannon's "No, David" in particular, and similar works), Eloise is unconventional and spunky throughout, and does NOT end up ultimately tamed by the adults around her. Do you think she grew up and became Auntie Mame? ( )
  AnnieHidalgo | Nov 19, 2011 |
A fun book for kids, though for me I couldn't stop thinking that Eloise might need some Valium for her ADD. ( )
  timothyl33 | Jul 9, 2011 |
I encountered this book when I was a kid, but old enough to be reading chapter books. I loved it, but I think my mom felt it was beneath my reading skills. Nevertheless, I love it. So often books from a child's POV are saccharin and dumb, but Eloise is so perfectly real, a bratty, neglected, feral child.

I absolutely love Hilary Knight's drawings, and they're perfect. ( )
  piemouth | Mar 11, 2011 |

Kay Thompsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Knight, HilaryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Höök, MarianneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalka, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Menard, Jean-FrancoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am a city child.
Do not combine "Eloise" with the book entitled "Eloise: The Absolutely Essential Edition". The latter is a modern printing with much additional content. Both of these works also are distinct from "The Ultimate Eloise", which is a compilation of four Eloise books.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067122350X, Hardcover)

"I am Eloise/I am six." So begins the well-loved story of Eloise, the garrulous little girl who lives at New York's Plaza Hotel. Eyebrow raised defiantly, arm propped on one jutting hip, Eloise is a study in self-confidence. Eloise's personal mandate is "Getting bored is not allowed," so she fills her days to the brim with wild adventures and self-imposed responsibilities. An average Eloise afternoon includes braiding her pet turtle's ears, ordering "one roast-beef bone, one raisin and seven spoons" from room service, and devising innovative methods of torture for her guardians.

Eloise's exploits are non-stop, and--accordingly--the text uses nary a period. Kay Thompson perfectly captures the way children speak: in endless sentences elongated with "and then ... and then ... and then... " Hilary Knight's drawings illustrate Eloise's braggadocio and amusement as well as the bewilderment of harassed hotel guests. Eloise's taunts are terrible, her imagination inimitable, her pace positively perilous. Her impertinence will delight readers of all ages. (Ages 5 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:41 -0400)

Eloise is a little girl who lives at The Plaza Hotel in New York. She is not yet pretty but she is already a Person. Henry James would want to study her. Queen Victoria would recognize her as an Equal. The New York Jets would want to have her on their side. Lewis Carroll would love her (once he got over the initial shock). She knows everything about The Plaza. She is interested in people when they are not boring. She has Inner Resources. If you take her home with you, you will always be glad you did.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,448,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible