Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Favorite Father Brown Stories (Dover Thrift…

Favorite Father Brown Stories (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1993; edition 1993)

by G. K. Chesterton

Member:Carmenere
Title:Favorite Father Brown Stories (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:G. K. Chesterton
Info:Dover Publications (1993), Paperback, 96 pages
Rating:***1/2

Favorite Father Brown stories by G. K. Chesterton (1993)

Favorite Father Brown stories is a slim volume with six stories from the many written by G. K. Chesterton in the early part of the twentieth century. These are well plotted mysteries that are logical and delightful. Father Brown, a Catholic parish priest, solves each one with acute observational skills and a knack for fading into the background. He outwits Flambeau, the greatest criminal mind of the time, who, after his retirement, becomes a close friend and is involved in some of Father Brown’s further adventures.

The editor of this work compares these stories favorably to those written by Chesterton’s contemporary, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This book only whets the appetite to read more of Father Brown and perhaps to enjoy the TV series that has had a recent re-airing on PBS. ( )
  fdholt | Jan 10, 2014 |
First, let me say, I probably would not have chosen this book by its cover nor its title. Father Brown?! Surely, it would be about some religious figure who expounds boring doctrine night and day. Wrong!!!

Father Brown is a humble and astute priest who owns a high level of observation and a quick mind and Chesterton's six short stories in this volume have the reader on high alert to figure out the mystery or murder before Father Brown is able to do so.
The series of stories in this book opens with Father Brown making the acquaintance of reknowned thief, Flambeau. After their first unpleasent meeting, the included stories shift to the unlikely friendship which has developed between Brown and Flambeau. Together they travel throughout the United Kingdom and often become happenstance crime solvers.

This book offers clever and wholesome mysteries proving that one can read suspenseful stories without all the gore, sex and language that is common today in books of this genre. I found it to be very refreshing. ( )
2 vote Carmenere | Jan 28, 2013 |
Having read other Chesterton stories and Arthur Conan Doyle, I found that this series was more of the same. Beyond the mist, dark castles and clever deductions made from tenuous clues, there is not much. I yet have to read the story where Father Brown and Flambeau, the master criminal, became friends - it seems unlikely. Good reading but the stories have lost their originality. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Aug 15, 2009 |
A lightweight series of six short stories. I don't believe I've read any Father Brown mysteries, and there was something of a jarring disconnect between the first and second ones that made me wish I had more available so I could keep up to pace. The individual stories wear well, although I don't believe Chesterton's fabled barbed wit and sarcasm show up here; Father Brown is handled gently and the emphasis is certainly on the stories rather than any sort of philosophy.

The stories are good, solid turn-of-the-century mystery stories; fun and straightforward to read but with bizarrely complicated alibis. This book might be a light way of introducing yourself to Father Brown, but if I was going to buy a Chesterton I'd buy something with a little more depth. This Dover Thrift Edition isn't going to stop a bullet for you. ( )
  benfulton | May 1, 2009 |

Six well-plotted and suspenseful tales by the noted British critic, author and debunker extraordinaire feature the "little cleric from Essex" in "The Blue Cross," "The Sins of Prince Saradine," "The Sign of the Broken Sword," "The Man in the Passage," "The Perishing of the Pendragons" and "The Salad of Colonel Cray."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,694,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible