We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S.…

We Never Talk About My Brother (2009)

by Peter S. Beagle

Other authors: Charles de Lint (Introduction)

Series: Innkeeper's World (Short Story "Chandail")

241947,848 (4.19)14

I continue to be impressed at Beagle's range; every time I read a story of his I think he must have spent decades honing his mastery of that particular subgenre, and then he goes on and writes something completely different. My favorites in this collection were "Uncle Chaim and Aunt Rifke and the Angel," about an angel who shows up one day insisting she's a painter's muse; "The Unicorn Tapestries," a poem cycle based on the famous works of art; "Chandail," a story about healing; and the title story, about good and evil and family. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Dec 4, 2016 |
Beagle is a writer of urban or contemporary fantasy (in the vein of Ray Bradbury) with a marked ability to shape ordinary life into the fantastic. ( )
  librisissimo | Apr 25, 2015 |
Just wasn't in the mood this time. Even back when I read The Last Unicorn and A Fine and Private Place, I had to get myself past Beagle's jokey class clown style narrator to appreciate his stuff, but then, of course, I was captivated. But that was a long time ago now. Maybe you can't go home again.

Still, I'll always have a place in my heart for American Fantastic. Steven Millhauser, Shirley Jackson, William Kotzwinkle, John Crowley, Charles Finney, Mark Helprin, Colson Whitehead, James Thurber (the fables). We need more fabulists.

...Actually, maybe I'm going to take that back. Looking at the list of contemporary slipstreamers that comes up as recommended on this page, I realize we may now have an overabundance of fabulists, each more twee or gothic or wtf than the last. And yet I'll bet you nobody'll be reading them in 50 years' time. I guess I'll stick with my old friends after all. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
We Never Talk About My Brother is truly an amazing story collection. I liked The Last Unicorn, which is why I picked it up, but this is one of my all time favorites.

It's so hard to talk about collections with any kind of coherence without breaking it down by story, but the stories were fantastical and wonderful and beautifully written. It is hard to choose my favorite, but I liked the last story least. I love the uncle and the angel, and the mysterious Japanese folk story, and the battle to the death with terrible poetry. I borrowed it, but I'm afraid I'll have to buy it now so that I can read it again later. ( )
  alwright1 | Mar 31, 2013 |
The first book I've read by Peter S. Beagle. I've been meaning to read something of his for a while, but all I knew was The Last Unicorn, and honestly I don't like unicorns very much. I was never that into horse books either.

I didn't enjoy the first two stories in this collection particularly. They were good, but the first one seemed to ramble a bit, and first-person narrative is not the way to win my heart, even though I admit it has its place in the world of writing, in short fiction especially.

From the magnificent (and very third-person) "The Tale of Junko and Sayuri" onward, though, I was hooked. I think I may have found one more fantasy author that I can read without fear of being horribly disappointed by bad prose or shallow storytelling. The stories were well-told, meaningful, memorable, and often very funny.

And because two stories were set in the universes of other novels of his, I now have an idea of what I can read by him besides The Last Unicorn (although I will get to that one eventually, really!) ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
The first half of the collection are the strongest of the stories but each one is a beautiful song, each with it's own voice and tone. Beagle plays the classic themes of love and death, sacrifice and self-discovery like a master. Never clichéd, he pulls out new riffs and vamps on the expected conventions of modern fantasy, even the ones he helped create in the first place. With just the right notes he can describe an entire room, the people in it and the mood, all in a few perfect sentences. Pure poetry. Beagle is an American bard: He makes the tough guys weep and all the girls sigh.

Peter S. Beagleprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Lint, CharlesIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Monn, AnnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jake and Phil,
and Gunhill Road

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 189239183X, Paperback)

"By Moonlight" by Peter S. Beagle was named Best Novelette at the 2010 Locus Awards. The novelette comes from the collection We Never Talk About My Brother

Modern parables of love, death, and transformation are peppered with melancholy in this extraordinary collection of contemporary fantasy. Each short story cultivates a whimsical sense of imagination and reveals a mature, darker voice than previously experienced from this legendary author. In one tale the Angel of Death enjoys newfound celebrity while moonlighting as an anchorman on the network news, while in another the shortsighted ruler of a gentle realm betrays himself in dreaming of a "manageable war." Further storylines include an American librarian who discovers that, much to his surprise and sadness, he is the last living Frenchman, and rivals in a supernatural battle who decide to forgo pistols at dawn, choosing instead to duel with dramatic recitations of terrible poetry. Featuring several previously unpublished stories alongside a bevy of recently released works, this haunting compilation is appealing to both genre readers and mainstream literature lovers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

Presents a collection of stories about love, transformation, death, and choices in life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,944,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible