Smasher by Dick King-Smith

Smasher (1996)

by Dick King-Smith

Other authors: Richard Bernal (Illustrator)

Smasher is about a dog named Smasher. He is not obedient he needs to know how to be obedient. At the end he learns how to be obedient. His master took him out every day and taught him how to sit and come. I like this book because he learns how to be obedient at the end. His master had to teach him how to be obedient. I like that his master put that much effort into training him. ( )
  CooperW8 | Oct 27, 2015 |
I thought I hadn't read this before but not too many pages in I realized I had. My eldest son was quite fond of this author so we've had a lot of his books in the house and I still have some left, but my youngest never took to them. Smasher is a cute book. A bit of a take on the ugly duckling story. This is an easy chapter book as well. Probably good for average 3rd grade readers. This is a realistic story of a "throwback" puppy of a litter; he's not weak or a runt. In fact he's the biggest and strongest, but looks nothing like the mother or other pups and is, in the farmer's opinion down right ugly. Smasher truly owns his name by causing all sorts of trouble from chasing chickens and sheep to entering the house, stealing a steak, whizzing in the living room and causing major havoc. Mrs. Farmer has enough and orders the pup begone. In this heart-warming story the kind-hearted farmer has grown too fond of "Smasher" to get rid of him so instead secretly spends three months training him. On his first day back to the farm Smasher surprises everyone with a skill no one knew he had. Now he can earn his bread and board as a house dog! I'm not familiar with the illustrator but Richard Bernal has adorable old-fashioned drawings that let the story remain ageless. Though the text does tell us their are "video recording machines". ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 29, 2014 |

Dick King-Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernal, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Dick King-Smith brings his signature wit and charm to the Stepping Stone line with a lovable new puppy who's sure to capture readers' hearts. Smasher is always getting into trouble, whether it's chasing chickens, chewing up Mrs. Buzzard's slippers, or breaking all her china. Now she wants to get rid of him. Can Farmer Buzzard find a way to save him? Or is Smasher in the doghouse...for good?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:07 -0400)

When Mrs. Buzzard wants to get rid of the big, ugly dog that creates a lot of trouble, Farmer Buzzard decides on a plan to save this lovable monster from banishment.

45 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible