Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner

Hotel Du Lac (original 1984; edition 1984)

by Anita Brookner

Member:papalaz
Title:Hotel Du Lac
Authors:Anita Brookner
Info:Jonathan Cape (1984), Hardcover
Tags:010429

Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner (1984)

English (59)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  All languages (61)
It's written well, but it's terribly dull. The story is barely a story, nothing happens. I'm glad it was short as I could power through. I had high hopes given it won the Booker, but nope. ( )
  MrLloydSpandex | Mar 30, 2016 |
I am giving this book three stars because I found it easy to read and I loved Brookner's writing style The story was mediocre. Brookner assumes her readers are intelligent and uses the language to its fullest flourish. I adore reading books that drive me to the dictionary!

I felt quite like I knew these characters, as seen through the eyes of the protagonist, Edith Hope. As an author, she is a very astute observer of people, and the hotel gives her a small but interesting menagerie. Interestingly, she is keen on looking at others with a critical eye while dismissing her own indulgences until late in the story, where her self-reflection takes her to a crossroads.

It is worth the read, in that the less-than-200 pages will cost you only a few days. Brookner's writing style is a delight and this winner of the 1984 Man Booker prize will hold its own on your TBR list. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Edith Hope is a woman of a “certain age,” who has been shipped off to the quiet, secluded Hotel du Lac to wait for some sort of scandal, in which she played a central role, to die down. She is morose, and rather lost – without any real purpose, except to wait for the hubbub to blow over. Despite her name, Edith really has no hope; she is bored and boring. She wants to be left alone, but she’s lonely. The other guests are similarly hiding or waiting for something to happen, and so the days pass. Most ironic, this grey little mouse of a woman writes romance novels for a living, but is unable to identify any real love in her own life.

One of my favorite passages comes when Edith is speaking with her editor (or publisher). She says that her readers love the fable of the tortoise and the hare, where the steady, practical tortoise wins every time. However, in truth, says Edith, it is the hare who wins; but the hares of this world are too busy with the spoils of their conquests to bother reading, so the books are aimed at the tortoise market.

I had to remind myself that the book was published in 1984, but even then, I doubted that the great scandal from which Edith is hiding was all that bad. Back in the mid 1980s, I had a friend who did the same thing (though not quite so late in the game), and there were no lasting repercussions. Maybe it’s the difference between Americans and British.

I thought some of the portrayals of the other guests, seen through Edith’s eyes, were spot on, but the shortness of the work really didn’t leave room for further exploration, and on the whole I felt the book suffered because of that. So while I enjoyed it, I wouldn’t recommend that you put it at the top of your reading list.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I am totally bewildered by this book and the response to it. At least 3 readers I generally admire and agree with highly recommended it. I found it unbelievable from beginning to end. In fact, from cover to cover. The front cover proclaims it a "national best-seller"--really? why?-- and "Winner of the 1984 Booker Prize". What was the competition?? (OK, I looked it up---I haven't read any of that year's shortlisted works.) The back cover calls it "bewitching, magical" and likens its heroine to a Barbara Pym character. Sorry, Ms. Brookner. I've read Barbara Pym.... The characters seem at least 60 years out of time; the heroine's situation (and her allowing herself to be in it) incomprehensible to me; the prose wordy, repetitive, soporific. I finished it with a definite "The Emperor has no clothes" feeling. Under 200 pages, but not nearly far enough.

QUOTE: "My patience with this little comedy is wearing a bit thin." Indeed.

Review written in April, 2010 ( )
2 vote laytonwoman3rd | Jan 12, 2016 |
This was excellent - a quiet story about a momentous life decision, beautifully written. Edith has arrived at the aging Hotel du Lac in Switzerland after committing some sort of societal faux pas and being shipped off there by her friends. There she meets a mother/daughter duo, a single woman with an eating disorder, and a few other guests of the hotel. Edith's transgression is slowly revealed as she experiences different emotions - stubborness, sadness, defiance, longing.

In the end, this book is about one woman's decision of whether to do what her society expects of her or to be herself. Being herself, though, isn't so exciting as she is the kind of person who could very well lead a boring, slightly lonely life - and she knows it. So it is a real dilemma and struck me as very realistic. I grew to really like and respect Edith while reading this book. ( )
1 vote japaul22 | Dec 22, 2015 |

Brookner, Anitaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Massey, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rosamund Lehmann
From the window all that could be seen was a receding area of grey.
A mild and scholarly man who looked like a country doctor, he disliked the more sociable aspects of his calling, but had nevertheless booked a table in a cathedral-like restaurant, where the patrons cowered in worship before the marvels to be set in front of them, and had gamely tackled the intricately coiled fillet of fish which had seemed to be the simplest item on the menu.
There here and now, the quotidian, as beginning to acquire substance. The dimension of terror that this realization brought with it - as if knowing the place too well might give her presence there some reality, some validity - was quickly palliated by the extraordinary accumulation of facts
And as most of Mrs. Pusey's sentences began with the words 'Of course', they had a range of tranquil confidence which somehow occluded any attempt to introduce an opinion of her own.
Mrs. Pusey's disposition to flirt, even when there was no one around to flirt with, was, to Edith, somehow disturbing, although it was done with such lack of inhibition that it should have appeared harmless. On those rare occasions when Mrs. Pusey was sitting alone, Edith had observed her in all sorts of attention-catching ploys, creating a small locus of busyness that inevitably invited someone to come to her aid. She would not be still or be quiet until she had captured the attention of whomever she judged to be necessary for her immediate purpose.
The sensation of being entertained by words was one which she encountered all too rarely. People expect writers to entertain them, she reflected.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679759328, Paperback)

Edith Hope (a.k.a. romance author Veronica Wilde) has been banished by her friends to a stately hotel in Switzerland. During her stay she befriends some of the other guests, each of whom has his or her own tale. Edith struggles to come to terms with her career and love--the lack, the benefits, and the meaning thereof.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

Recounts the holiday of Edith Hope, meek, unmarried, and thirty-nine, who, on the mend from a disastrous love affair, becomes intimately involved with her fellow guests at the Swiss Hotel du Lac.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,588,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible