How the heather looks : a joyous journey to…

How the heather looks : a joyous journey to the British sources of… (1965)

by Joan Bodger

133390,390 (4)2
Recently added byprivate library, Jennie_103, vmahnken, ArthurRansome, raisingolives, jendowd, ewillse
Legacy LibrariesArthur Ransome, Astrid Lindgren

family travelling England in search of places described in their favorite children's books. It was fun and I enjoyed it. I found it slow in parts where I didn't care very much about the books. I was surprised how many of the books I had read and enjoyed. It is a trip I might like to take myself. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
books about books, children's books
  cuicocha | Sep 5, 2011 |
As a journey: "How the Heather Looks is very different - Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimborough's Our Hearts were Young and Gay as opposed to, say, a Michelin guide."

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780771011184&view=pri... ( )
  nbtOO | Mar 27, 2007 |
[None]
To John and Ian, and to Lucy who went back to find the door
We were bound for Whitchurch, just thirty miles down the road from Liverpool. A few hours before we had disembarked from a staid, broad-beamed Cunard liner which had taken more than a week to cross the Atlantic.
I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet I know how the heather looks,
And what a wave must be.
(Emily Dickinson)
I have been informed that [this] is the book most often stolen by retiring children's librarians (Afterword)

Over forty years ago, Joan Bodger, her husband, and two children went to Britain on a very special family quest. They were seeking the world that they knew and loved through children’s books.

In Winnie-the-Pooh Country, Mrs. Milne showed them the way to “that enchanted place on the top of the Forest [where] a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.” In Edinburgh they stood outside Robert Louis Stevenson’s childhood home, tilting their heads to talk to a lamplighter who was doing his job. In the Lake District they visited Jemima Puddle-Duck’s farm, and Joan sought out crusty Arthur Ransome to talk to him about Swallows and Amazons. They spent several days “messing about in boats” on the River Thames, looking for Toad Hall and other places described by Kenneth Grahame in The Wind in the Willows. Mud and flood kept them from attaining the slopes of Pook’s Hill (on Rudyard Kipling’s farm), but they scaled the heights of Tintagel. As in all good fairy tales, there were unanswered questions. Did they really find Camelot? Robin Hood, as always, remains elusive.

One thing is certain. Joan Bodger brings alive again the magic of the stories we love to remember. She persuades us that, like Emily Dickinson, even if we “have never seen a moor,” we can imagine “how the heather looks.”

First published in 1965 by Viking in New York, How the Heather Looks has become a prized favorite among knowledgeable lovers of children’s literature. Precious, well-thumbed copies have been lent out with caution and reluctance, while new admirers have gone searching in vain for copies to buy second-hand. This handsome reprint, with a new Afterword by Joan Bodger, makes a unique and delightful classic available once more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:55 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible