Un luogo incerto by Vargas Fred

Un luogo incerto (2008)

by Vargas Fred, Botto Margherita (Translator)

Member:saintwo2005
Title:Un luogo incerto
Authors:Vargas Fred
Other authors:Botto Margherita (Translator)
Info:Einaudi
Tags:2000, gialli

An Uncertain Place by Fred Vargas (2008)

English (22)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (37)
In this mystery, Commisaire Adamsberg is in danger physically and career-wise. After a gruesome murder takes place, various other events occur, and Adamsberg eventually goes to Serbia, where vampires play a role. There also is a mystery relating to cut-off feet, in shoes, outside the Highgate cemetery in London. All these plot lines eventually come together. I am nearing the end of the Adamsbergs that have been translated into English and that disappoints me because I love this series.
  rebeccanyc | Jun 20, 2016 |
This is the first Fred Vargas I've tried, and I liked it: fiction is full of eccentric detectives, but Adamsberg manages to have some entertainingly different eccentricities from the rest, and the plot wasn't too predictable. I loved the old-fashioned way the final identification of the murderer was based on a logical (but well-hidden) Clue that we could have worked out for ourselves if we'd noticed it in time. Not something you often see these days. ( )
1 vote thorold | Feb 15, 2016 |
Adamsberg and his highly eccentric squad of policemen get more fun to read with every book. This is one of the best. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
I have read a great many positive reviews of Fred Vargas' books and I looked forward to reading one of them. There is good style to the writing as translated by Sian Reynolds, but the plot of this one is dreadful. One reviewer said that he struggled to page 300 or so, and then gave up. I know exactly how he felt; it's just that I never give up on a book. Once Adamsburg goes to Serbia, the book just slips out of control and never recovers.
I will think about giving Vargas a second chance, if I perceive that another book will stay within the realm of plausibility; the borders of which were well crossed by this one. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
If you ever hear anyone say ‘plog’, then you know they have read this crime novel. Totally different to any other crime novel I have read, this is my first Fred Vargas and will not be my last. It is the tale of fear, passed on from one generation to the next. Inevitably the tale is embroidered a little along the way, misinterpreted, but still half-believed. Believed enough to act on it, to prevent the fabled terror from continuing.
The trail starts in London: shoes are found outside Highgate Cemetery, with the feel still inside them. Next, two gruesome murders. Many unrelated strands come together and finally the pieces fall into place in a tiny wooded village in Serbia.
This is my first Commissaire Adamsberg book. I love discovering a new author, knowing there are many books just waiting to be read. Fred Vargas has created a quirky policeman – I particularly liked Adamsberg’s relationship with his one-armed Spanish neighbour Lucio.
Plog.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 30, 2015 |
A nice Gallic counterpart to Christopher Fowler's very English "Peculiar Crimes Unit" series, which also hints at the supernatural and stars eccentric sleuths. Readers should suspend their disbelief at Vargas's dizzying array of plot twists and coincidences and just enjoy the roller-coaster ride. Great fun!
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Wilda Williams (Oct 15, 2011)

Fred Vargasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schwarze, WaltraudTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. Aubyn, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torcal, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vinšová, KateřinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Le commissaire Adamsberg savait repasser les chemises, sa mère lui avait appris à aplatir l'empiècement d'épaule et à lisser le tissu autour des boutons.

Commissaire Adamsberg leaves Paris for a three-day conference in London. Accompanying him are Estalere, a young sergeant, and Commandant Danglard, who is terrified at the idea of traveling beneath the Channel. It is a welcome change of scenery, until a macabre and brutal case comes to the attention of their colleague Radstock from New Scotland Yard.

Just outside the gates of the baroque Highgate Cemetery, a pile of shoes is found. Not so strange in itself, but the shoes contain severed feet. As Scotland Yard's investigation begins, Adamsberg and his colleagues return home and are confronted with a massacre in a suburban house. Adamsberg and Danglard are drawn in to a trail of vampires and vampire-hunters that leads them all the way to Serbia, a place where the old certainties no longer apply.

Commissaire Adamsberg leaves Paris for a three-day conference in London. With him are a young sergeant, Estalère, and Commandant Danglard, who is terrified at the idea of travelling beneath the Channel. It is the break they all need, until a macabre and brutal case comes to the attention of their colleague Radstock from New Scotland Yard.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,863,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible