Un luogo incerto by Vargas Fred

Un luogo incerto (2008)

by Vargas Fred, Botto Margherita (Translator)

Title:Un luogo incerto
Authors:Vargas Fred
Other authors:Botto Margherita (Translator)
Tags:2000, gialli

An Uncertain Place by Fred Vargas (2008)

Recently added byClaude..., fdetoulouse, johnwbeha, rocambole, Angela.Me, FaGoo, choldi, private library, Maisie

English (19)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (34)
I have read a great many positive reviews of Fred Vargas' books and I looked forward to reading one of them. There is good style to the writing as translated by Sian Reynolds, but the plot of this one is dreadful. One reviewer said that he struggled to page 300 or so, and then gave up. I know exactly how he felt; it's just that I never give up on a book. Once Adamsburg goes to Serbia, the book just slips out of control and never recovers.
I will think about giving Vargas a second chance, if I perceive that another book will stay within the realm of plausibility; the borders of which were well crossed by this one. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
If you ever hear anyone say ‘plog’, then you know they have read this crime novel. Totally different to any other crime novel I have read, this is my first Fred Vargas and will not be my last. It is the tale of fear, passed on from one generation to the next. Inevitably the tale is embroidered a little along the way, misinterpreted, but still half-believed. Believed enough to act on it, to prevent the fabled terror from continuing.
The trail starts in London: shoes are found outside Highgate Cemetery, with the feel still inside them. Next, two gruesome murders. Many unrelated strands come together and finally the pieces fall into place in a tiny wooded village in Serbia.
This is my first Commissaire Adamsberg book. I love discovering a new author, knowing there are many books just waiting to be read. Fred Vargas has created a quirky policeman – I particularly liked Adamsberg’s relationship with his one-armed Spanish neighbour Lucio.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 30, 2015 |
As chief of the Serious Crimes Squad in Paris Commissaire Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg is sent to London to attend a conference designed to foster relations for police forces across Europe. He's taking Danglard with him to help translate. While being shown some of the sights by an English colleague they are pointed in the direction of a peculiar incident. Some shoes have been left outside of Highgate Cemetery and the disturbing part of the discovery is that there are feet still in them. So Adamsberg becomes acquainted with the tale of the Highgate vampire and when a particularly brutal murder occurs back in Paris where the body has suffered extreme destruction could there be a connection? There may be risks both personally and professionally in pursuing this case but when has that ever stopped Adamsberg or his team of eccentrics?

All the hallmarks that make this series stand out for me are included in this instalment. The quirky characters with Adamsberg being at the fore once again and the trips to different locations (a fish out of water in London but much more comfortable in small village life in Serbia) help to keep the narrative fresh. The mystery itself is never too important with these stories for me as I do enjoy just spending time with the marvellous characters that Vargas has brought to life with the help of another excellent translation from Sian Reynolds. While it's not too difficult to point an accusatory finger at a would-be culprit the journey up to the final denouement is still an enjoyable one. Glad to know I've still not reached the end of this series and I still have more adventures with the Commissaire and his crew to look forward to. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | May 26, 2015 |
I love idiosyncratic characters, and this book abounds with them. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
I love idiosyncratic characters, and this book abounds with them. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
A nice Gallic counterpart to Christopher Fowler's very English "Peculiar Crimes Unit" series, which also hints at the supernatural and stars eccentric sleuths. Readers should suspend their disbelief at Vargas's dizzying array of plot twists and coincidences and just enjoy the roller-coaster ride. Great fun!
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Wilda Williams (Oct 15, 2011)

Fred Vargasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schwarze, WaltraudTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. Aubyn, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torcal, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vinšová, KateřinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Le commissaire Adamsberg savait repasser les chemises, sa mère lui avait appris à aplatir l'empiècement d'épaule et à lisser le tissu autour des boutons.

Commissaire Adamsberg leaves Paris for a three-day conference in London. Accompanying him are Estalere, a young sergeant, and Commandant Danglard, who is terrified at the idea of traveling beneath the Channel. It is a welcome change of scenery, until a macabre and brutal case comes to the attention of their colleague Radstock from New Scotland Yard.

Just outside the gates of the baroque Highgate Cemetery, a pile of shoes is found. Not so strange in itself, but the shoes contain severed feet. As Scotland Yard's investigation begins, Adamsberg and his colleagues return home and are confronted with a massacre in a suburban house. Adamsberg and Danglard are drawn in to a trail of vampires and vampire-hunters that leads them all the way to Serbia, a place where the old certainties no longer apply.

Commissaire Adamsberg leaves Paris for a three-day conference in London. With him are a young sergeant, Estalère, and Commandant Danglard, who is terrified at the idea of travelling beneath the Channel. It is the break they all need, until a macabre and brutal case comes to the attention of their colleague Radstock from New Scotland Yard.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible