dismiss

Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman

Animal Husbandry (original 1998; edition 2001)

by Laura Zigman

If someone asked me a year ago why I thought it was that men leave women and never come back, I would have said this: New Cow. New Cow is short for New Cow Theory, which is short for Old Cow-New Cow Theory, which, of course, is short for the sad sorry truth that men leave woman and never come back because all they really want is New Cow. But no one asked me then. If someone asked me now I would have a different answer. I would roll my eyes, look toward the ceiling, raise both hands and shake them toward the heavens the way old Italian women do, and say this: They will never make sense; you will never understand them.Welcome to the case file labeled love of one Jane Goodall--no, not the Jane Goodall, but a late-night TV producer who turns to the annals of animal behavior for an explanation when true love goes suddenly, inexplicably wrong. It began as a simple Cow meets Bull story: he was the young producer with the washboard stomach and the J-Crew good-looks, she the co-worker with her heart on the shelf. They met for drinks, fell in love, looked together for a cozy one-bedroom apartment on the Upper East Side, and then suddenly, in only the third month of their post-copulatory phase, Ray Brown was gone. Not gone gone, but lost to that jungle of unreturned phone calls known as unrequited love. So Jane Goodall, with the help of Freud, Darwin, and her own menagerie of lovelorn friends--a broken-hearted womanizer named Eddie, her best friend Joan, who for the past two years has been dating her boss, a man engaged to another woman, and David, who shares with Jane both a taste for good-looking men and a terminal case of bad luck--delves into the mystery of the male animal.… (more)
Member:baerana
Title:Animal Husbandry
Authors:Laura Zigman
Info:Dial Press Trade Paperback (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman (1998)

Not bad, although I admit I sometimes got distracted by the differences between it and the movie, which I had seen first and like a bit better. ( )
  strigine | Jan 27, 2014 |
After being dumped for no good reason at the dreaded three-month mark, the novel’s heroine sets out on a pseudo-scientific research study to figure out why men act like they do. She comes up with a theory – the “Old Cow-New Cow” hypothesis – and her observations of her guerilla-dating roommate, her ex and the married man her friend is seeing seem to bear it out. But the story is really about finding the strength to get off the “what will become of me” couch and get on with our lives, even with a damaged heart. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 24, 2012 |
My second Zigman, after Dating Big Bird. I've shared it with many a friends. I even went to see the movie (Someone Like You) in the theater when it came out--because of the book, of course. ( )
  THEsisterjanet | May 30, 2009 |
I thought the premise was original and funny. Based on this book, I picked up her other ones. Those were not NEARLY as strong as this. ( )
  VenusofUrbino | Dec 5, 2007 |
Darwinian Man, though well-behaved,

At best is only a monkey shaved.

-- W.S. Gilbert

For Linda,

the best sister ever,

and for Wendy,

who made me finish.
In the metamorphosis from Cow to New Cow, the Current-Cow sob story is an important phase: "I know we just met, but did I happen to mention how sad, miserable, misunderstood, and lonely I've been my whole life?"
This is crucial to introducing the myth of male shyness and the poor-guy persona--common disguises for a wolf in sheep's clothing. "You're so easy to talk to, not like my Current Cow."
Initially published as Animal Husbandry.

Someone Like You is the movie tie-in edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,075,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible